“Quarry by the sea”

Ranked #1 of 205 Hotels in Nha Trang
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“Quarry by the sea”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

This is the fifth hotel on my Vietnam trip and by far the worst. I have an Ocean View Condo which has a view of what looks like an abandoned quarry. In fact, the whole resort has been hewn out of the side of a hill and has left an ugly scar. You won't see these views on their website. Neither will you see the drainage ditch to the left of the condo, the trough for a hand basin or the horrible mouldy shower. See my photos for what it is really like. Maybe there are better rooms but I can only review the one I have been lumbered with. It is certainly not 5 Star

There are positive points. The breakfast is excellent and the staff are very attentive.

Nha Trang itself is a taxi drive away and has little to offer compared to Hanoi, Sapa, Hue and Hoi An where I have just been.

My advice if you're looking to relax for a few days whilst travelling is to avoid Nha Trang and stay in Hoi An. If you must stay at the Mia then avoid the Ocean View Condo.

If you arrive early prepare to be abandoned in the bar. After a couple of hours I was bored senseless so I decided to go into town and check in later. Before getting a taxi I enquired at reception to see when my room would be ready. I was then told that it was ready. Nobody had told me. Thanks.

I'm sure other reviewers had a lovely time here but I can only report on my experience - 3 days wasted at a very average hotel which is a 20 minute drive from a dreary town

Stayed August 2014
7 Thank Francophilekent66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We recently stayed at Mia resort in Nha Trang for six glorious nights. The resort is located on the airport side of the city of Nha Trang. It is a good 40 minute drive in the city of Nha Trang so if you are the type of traveller who needs city things to do then this resort may be too isolated for you though they do have a free shuttle operating a few times a day.
I loved this resort because of the isolation. Nothing to do but laze by the pool, walk around the magnificent grounds (lawn cut by hand), eat and drink.
Breakfast was incredible. Yoghurt with passionfruit, bircher, a huge array of western and vietnamese cooked foods. Yum We also had a harvest table lunch included in our package which was lovely. Nothing extra to spend except for dinner and by then we still full from breaky and lunch so just shared a couple of dishes. We had spa treatments included every day and believe me these were totally indulgent. Full 45 minute treatments which you could select from the spa menu. This was a package deal advertised in the travel section of the paper so not sure if it is always available. Maybe we were just very lucky. If you get the chance go. Hi to Cindy one of the manager's. She went beyond the call of duty to help in anyway she could. Loved the wine tasting nights and beach BBQ!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SaggiTraveller
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I was suspect that the internet pictures of Mia Resort Nha Trang would be an exaggeration, but was pleasantly surprised to say it's better.

We visited in April & our family of 2 adults and 1 8 year old daughter enjoyed our own private cliff villa which commanded theist awesome ocean views. Totally recommend upgrading to this accommodation type, but I don't think there'd be a bad room in this boutique resort.

The ocean temp was more refreshing than the resort pool.

The staff were so helpful.

The food amazing and plentiful. Including that they make a great coffee!

I house free and extensive movies.

The Spa was sensational.

Nha Trang is a bit "Gold Coast" and those from Queensland will know what I mean.

The attraction was just being able to totally relax after what had been a busy Vietnam itinerary.

I can't say anything bad about it!

Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Larissa P
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We have been to Mia Resort end January 2014 in the best season a European person may choose. We were 2 couples. The resort itself stands 20 mins by taxi from the airport and another 15-20 mins from Nha Trang city. Closed by cliffs, the resort lays in a breathtaking bay. We could not reserve a beach villa neither the big villa standing on the cliffs, we were in garden villas. All I can say you get exactly what you see on pictures. Breathtaking, you arrive and immedately you feel relaxed. Nice interieur in rooms, huge bathtube, shower in the garden - nice garden furniture and place to have a rest anytime during the day. Dare to choose this accomodation.
Tips, information from us:
- breakfast is with great variety however perfect for Asian people (I love Asian food, but for those who like more European, American style food there are less choice, but still enough)
- worth to try the restaurant in the evening: anything you can dream of (A'la carte) and the staff is so helpful - they were ready to cook food differently in a style I like. They were happy to help.
- the staff hardly speaks English. Be prepared for this, I guess this was the only very negative point I can mention, mostly this ended up with some difficulties (even the receptionist was not able to understand that we would like to hire a small yacht for us with a driver and travel...etc) so it was better to go to city and find an agency for that. I expected a little bit more from a 5* hotel
- staff around breakfast and pool also very enthusiastic, but you miss that English so much :) When you want a sandwich but you would ask it without tomato or whatever it was hard to explain.
- in the bathroom I missed a little bit the "fancy" toiletries: there were cans which they filled 2-3 days with shampoo, shower gel and body lotion. Well I did not find them the best quality, at least for my taste.
- Taxi to the city is always cca the same price 300 000 dng/way, they dont cheat. Service you can trust.
- Sea was cold, we could use mainly the pool - which was quite ok regarding the temperature.
- SPA is nice - we tried normal massage - reasonable price
- Please, go into Nha Trang and try local restaurants! Indian, Vietnamese, Italian - all delicious, and incredibly cheap.

All in all very good resort, I guess is outstanding within Vietnam countryside. However there are some development opportunities to make the 5* feeling more extra...that you feel the service is personalized. Anyway the price-value ratio is still more than OK.

Off record: Vietnam is a good choice for Asia lovers (me too) but could be a little bit shocking experience for first Asia visitors. If I can recommend start with another country.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Limlom13
Reviewed 22 August 2014

It is halfway from the airport to the City. One side is the big, green mountain, one is the beautiful sea with rock and cliff.
From the entrance, your tiredness is blown away by the warm, smile welcome from the staff. Sitting at the reception lounge and the Mojitos bar next to, looking over to the sea with white a hundred meter down, breathing the cozy air from the ocean, your daily life business is gone away.

The room is beautiful with sand tile floor, large view of the sea from the bed, big bathroom, green grass, cleanliness....

Beach is great- white sand, sunshine.

Food is amazing.

Hardly to describe all. I just love it.

Room Tip: Room of the south are quieter as the north has a construction site.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank johnhann61
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Every detail has been thought through. The quality of service is simply amazing. The villas are decorated with a lot of taste, the bed is so comfortable that you hardly want to leave it! The view from the cliff villa is just breathtaking, especially during sunrise and sunset. Loved the outdoor shower too but who doesn't.
Everywhere you go there seem to be a more amazing view waiting for you: from the reception, the spa, the bar, the restaurant, the pool, whether it's the ocean or the cliffs.
The restaurant serves very good food, from buffet breakfast to dinner.
I have too many compliments to give to this resort. Hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Go for the cliff villa (club cars will take you to the beach in a few mins and it's worth the vi...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stéphanie A
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

How could you not relax here, when arriving at Reception ( which has a cliff top view over the Resort and beach), it was a laid back relaxed check-in process - whilst this was being attended to we were given a cool lemon drink and a small sample of what appeared to be a pannacotta with burnt sugar cane melted on top - a nice touch. Being driven in the cart down to our Beach Villa (306) we were amazed at how immaculate the gardens, lawns and rockery was - perfection, and even more amazing when we saw the lush green lawn was also grown on the roof of all the buildings ( quite unique to see the gardeners mowing the lawns or using whipper snippers on the roof - I wish I had my golf clubs, it was that well looked after!).
The good feel just kept happening - opened the door to our villa where to the left is a King size bed with canopy, and what a change to have earth tone bed fittings (don't you get sick of white?) - there is a lounge at the foot of the bed where you can watch TV, Videos, movies, listen to music, or maybe look at the view through the full length concertina opening glass doors to your own Infinity Pool, a couple of loungers, or undercover to the side an outdoor lounge setting and small table to keep out of the direct sun.In front of the pool is lawn with shrubbery on the side for privacy ( also a hammock to relax in if you want), the lawn in front leads to the sand and then a small built up rockery area where there is loungers, table, umbrella, so that you can sit and take in the view of the ocean for a change, or maybe just stroll to the beach just for a change.
The extras available here includes a fully equipped gym, massage treatment available at the spa, we were lucky with the special deal we had included free massages every day - we actually had 3 and we were very happy with them.
Obviously one of the most important things is the food - well, breakfast was up there with some of the best we have had - not only have you the full array of buffet items but you also have the choice of one cooked meal from about 14 items, things such as a full English Breakfast, Omelets, etc.Also coffee, hot chocolate, tea, etc.
Lunch and evenings were just as good as on most days/nights there was a theme or buffet, but if this did not suit you could select from the a la carte menu and again you could choose from Western or Vietnamese dishes - and the food was all excellent, and to improve the ambience the Operations Manager - Nick (an Aussie of course) roamed around chatting to people and we had some great conversations with him - found out a lot of what was and is happening in the area and the future challenges that will entail.
They have some excellent staff who are eager to keep learning, one in particular who looked after us - Hien, she was keen to talk and learn about our country ( we gave her homework each day to learn more), and she went out of her way to go on the internet to learn things such as Melbourne is better than Sydney! - that will get flak no doubt.). A special mention to the Chef also as my wife has an allergy to garlic so one night when there was a buffet he came out and went through all the dishes to tell her what she could or could not have, even went to the trouble of making a special plate of chicken curry for her.
I have only mentioned a few staff but all were smiling and friendly, for instance as we had our own infinity pool we did not use the main pool, not that stopped the 2 pool lifesavers from trying to get us there , offering towels, drinks and smiles and always up for a chat - they were brilliant
Before I forget, they also had extra free activities - I had a scuba diving lesson in the pool and my wife attended a Tai Chi lesson.
As I said at the start, over the last 3-4 yrs we have been to at least 12 top resorts and this has been the best.Hopefully they can maintain the standard as they have set the bar high.

Room Tip: All villas are good - just a personal choice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple