“One week back of the bike trip around Mekong Delta”

Vietnamrider Travel Company - Private Day Tours
Ranked #14 of 20 Nature & Parks in Nha Trang
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: VIETNAMRIDER is a professional travel company since the early of 1990; specialism in doing all adventure tours by motorcycles or by cars in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand. Our tours are including the well maintained Honda 250cc, 400cc, 750cc, 1100cc, 1800cc for the Self-drive or Pillion passengers, local drive licenses, all insurances, national standard riding gears, top standard accommodations, licensed and experienced Tour Leaders with excellent English.
Reviewed 26 July 2015

Ideas for trips are often hatched decades ago while sitting in Geography class in school. While the teacher droned on, in my mind I was already in the Masai Mara or Serengeti or Steppes or Mekong Delta. My childhood desire actually came true this month.

I wanted it to be a special trip, so I planned a solo trip, and to make it even more unique, decided on a motor-bike trip, which would allow me get a far closer view of the Mekong Delta than I would get by means of a standard package tour. Since I have not ridden bikes in years, and not being familiar with road and traffic conditions in Vietnam, I decided on a back of a bike trip.

Itinerary: HCMC to My Tho to Ben Tre to Can Tho to Chau Doc. My bike trip would end in Chau Doc, and I would hop on the Speed boat to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. While I had been wondering about making it further down the coast to Rach Gia, we modified the route along the way as we went along, to allow for a more relaxed trip.

Rider-guide: Nam was my rider guide, arranged while I was back home barely a week before the trip. The trip was planned at short notice, however, Visa and Rider arrangements all went very well. Having decided on a skeleton route and duration, I transferred an advance amount to Nam and paid him the balance when we met in HCMC.

Route: Nam took me along back roads most of the time, as I had wished. The experience was amazing, which included the effect of heavy monsoon downpours, The roads were often mud tracks, and we slipped and slid along. It was exciting. Moreover, Nam rarely got lost. I was impressed that Nam knew so many main roads and back roads around the Delta rather well.

Speed and Safety: Not being keen to tick boxes, I had indicated that we need not rush along, we would stop for coffee along the way, relax and take it easy. Nam rode at a very comfortable pace, usually in the 40-50 kmph range. Very comfortable. It turned out that it isn't easy to sustain a range of 100 to 150 km on an average day while riding along back roads. Overall, I felt very safe with the pace of the trip.

Local experiences: We stopped at random coffee shops, tiny unmarked restaurants and villages where the residents welcomed us. It was heartening to experience such warmth and happiness during my one week of wandering around. I did not micro manage my trip, so we ended up changing plans very often. Nam knew people in the area, so it was easy to find neat little local places to stay. The best part was - you guessed it - not a tourist in sight (except a few in Can Tho and Chau Doc).

Protection: I had brought along thick, cotton pants and a thick jacket, while Nam had asked for my helmet size in advance and had bought a new helmet along with rain jacket and pants. We used the rain jacket quite often, It was part of the fun dealing with sudden downpours.

Summary: An amazing experience, one that dreams are made of. Highly recommended for solo travelers who want to experience the real country. Not micro managing schedules in advance adds to the mystery and excitement. That's the beauty of a motor bike trip, the flexibility to change plans as you go along. And the infinite variety of local experiences, full of warmth and smiles.

For Nam, my rider guide: Thank you so much for making my trip such a special one and for riding carefully without taking any risks. I wish you the very best.

- Jyoti

11  Thank JG-Blr
VIETNAMRIDER Tr... C, Owner at Vietnamrider Travel Company - Private Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2015

Thank you so much for doing the tour with us and your helpful review here.

We wish all the best to you and hope that we will meet again and do another tours in future.

VIETNAMRIDER Travel Company.

"scenery"
in 5 reviews
"aussies"

Reviewed 26 July 2015

Nam is great. I had never ridden a bike before, but he guided me through the streets of Saigon. We made our way from there to Mui Ne, with Nam teaching me a lot of the area's history on the way. He knows everything there is to know about Vietnam and his English is the best I have ever heard someone from Vietnam speak. After we got to Mui Ne, we decided to push on to Da Lat, even though we had just agreed on the first part of the trip. I can't recommend Nam enough. Book him. You won't be sorry.

6  Thank Andrew H
VIETNAMRIDER Tr... C, Owner at Vietnamrider Travel Company - Private Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2015

Thank you very much for doing the tour with our company and sending your review here.
We appreciated very much.

We wish all the best to you and wish that you will have a good holiday in Viet Nam.
We hope that we will do more tours for you in future.

Thank you.
VIETNAMRIDER Travel Company.

Reviewed 16 June 2015

This is the third motorcycle trip that I have done with Vietnamrider with various friends. This time a friend and I did a 6 day trip from Nha Trang to Hoi An with Nam the owner, and once again there were no problems. Nam supplied us with a couple of Honda bikes (150cc) in good condition, and we had a great time. Based on our experiences with Nam over the years, I can recommend his company to anyone thinking of doing a tour.

10  Thank Lance H
VIETNAMRIDER Tr... C, Owner at Vietnamrider Travel Company - Private Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2015

Dear Mr. Lance,

Thank you for sharing your time with our company, and to write a very true review about us. You are very kind.

We wish all the best wishes to you, and we hope that we will meet again one day and do more tours.

Reviewed 16 June 2015

Hung was knowledgable, hilarious and fun to ride with! Veitnam Riders and their tour guides are very professional and safe- there was never a problem. I rode alone with Hung for over a week, and had the time of my life. As a young women traveling alone, I did have my doubts... but never any issues.

The company provides you with home stays or hotels, and maps of your travels. I will keep my map forever. I highly recommend this company over any of the larger ones available at tourist spots.

8  Thank Sarah B

Hey Sarah,

We wish you all the best for your holiday in our country.
Thank you for sharing your time with our company. You are very kind.

We hope that we will meet again one day and do more tours.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 June 2015

I'm a 55 year young female from Australia travelling solo from North to South Vietnam.

I’m presently in Nha Trang and it was my birthday on 14 June 2015. I wanted to do something different and exciting, plus I was keen to get away from the hustle and bustle tourist side of the city and experience the local culture. After much research I decided a motor-bike tour was the go.

I found a few good places which had great reviews on TripAdvisor but after reading about Vietnamrider I was impressed by their many years of experience, reasonable price and excellent reviews. Yes there were a couple of people not happy but geez, 2 out of many ain’t bad. You just cant please everyone!

I emailed “Nam” who promptly got back to me. I chose a full day motorbike tour as a passenger and I got a private tour on the back of his comfortable Suzuki motorbike.

Nam picked me up early morning from my hotel and fully briefed me on where we were going and what to expect. He quickly put my biking concerns to rest within minutes of safely driving around Nha Trang's crazy and congested city streets and once we were out of the main centre it was smooth glorious riding all the way as we followed the back streets and lanes tourists often don’t usually get to see.

I found Nam to be very pleasant, professional, friendly and a wealth of local family and history information. He not only took me to traditional sites of Nha Trang but we also headed away from the hectic tourist areas where I could see and experience first-hand the local culture. It was fantastic !

We visited several hard working families in their homes; I helped 2 beautiful sisters and their elderly mother make sleeping floor mats, observed how to make traditional conical hats, visited rice paper and noodle making families, mingled with the friendly and welcoming ethnic minority locals in their villages, we rode out into the beautiful countryside, viewing the mega rice paddies and duck farms. We stopped and had a traditional Vietnamese lunch half way up the mountain at a local restaurant alongside river where local children swim and play. We continued the ride further 500m up the mountainside which had a stunning view. Of course all the way I took heaps of excellent photos and gained memories that will stay with me forever.

What more can I say other than, it was one of best things I have done in my two weeks visiting Vietnam.

Happy travelling & riding.

6  Thank kazkoncepts
VIETNAMRIDER Tr... C, Owner at Vietnamrider Travel Company - Private Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2015

Happy Birthday To You Dear Karen.

We wish you all the best for this special day.
Thank you for sharing your time with our company. You are very kind.

We hope that we will meet again one day and do more tours.