“A bit disappointing ” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 190 Hotels in Nha Trang
Rome, Italy
“A bit disappointing ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

This is our last day at this resort as part of our honeymoon trip in Vietnam. There is no doubt this is a beautiful island and the resort is very special. We loved our spacious hilltop villa from which we have/had a beautiful view and the decoration of the villa is stunning.
The food in the resort is good and the breakfast buffet offers something for everybody's taste. Yes it is expensive like other people commented but that you know before you come so there is nothing to complain about that.
The spa treatments are fantastic like you would expect from six senses however the spa management is somewhat below from what we have experienced previously at other six senses spas. For example untidy changing rooms or no fresh cups and water, which was the case in 2 out of 4 times, in the female relaxation area.

Staff is very friendly and is trying hard however the level of English, also at the spa, of most staff was poor, which after some time is a bit annoying specifically when ordering food.

Unfortunately during our stay the resort renovated one of their restaurants, dining by the bay, so there is a major construction site right on the way to our villa. Whilst the noise from the site is not too bad and we appreciate these things have to happen, we thought though it might have been better if they closed the side of the island off, as on some occasions we could not pass by as there was a huge truck blocking the way, not nice in any case but specifically not on your honeymoon.

Talking about honeymoon, we stayed so far in 4 different 5 star hotels/resorts in south east Asia on this trip. This was the only place that did not make any extra effort recognizing our honeymoon. At all other places some thought was provided, like beautiful bed decorations, flowers, chocolates, champagne, upgrades, etc. The general manager Gary did congratulate us when welcoming us on arrival but only after we told him that this was our honeymoon. At every other place people were aware of that right from the outset and we received without an exception a personal note from the hotel managers congratulating us. Here we had a general welcome letter. This may sound trivial but it stood negatively out.

To conclude the biggest let down for this kind of establishment was housekeeping. Minibar was not regularly refilled, this is the second day we have a dragon fruit in our pool (no idea how it got in there), beach chairs where twice not prepared, stained towels, fruit plates and knifes where not replaced etc. this should not happen at a five star resort.

Maybe we were just unlucky but it did not have the wow factor we expected.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hase1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I won a complimentary 2-night stay in Six Senses Ninh Van Bay in a marketing event. The Reservation Department was very helpful from the beginning when I made my booking and they responded to my questions quickly.
My partner and I stayed in a Beachfront Villa and the place was just like heaven. My beachfront villa had a great view of the whole bay and everything was very romantic. I did ask for a quiet villa far from the kid center and that’s exactly what I got. I barely saw other guests during my stay except the time we went to the restaurant for breakfast. My butler, Long, was extremely nice and helpful and he made my trip the best ever. Actually every staff in Ninh Van Bay was very cheerful, especially those working in the restaurants.
The breakfast was very delicious with a variety of food; fresh juice just can’t be missed! I would recommend having dinner in Dining in the Rock and remember to go there in sunset, the set dinner was great but the price was very reasonable in such a 5-star resort. “Dine in Vietnamese Street” (the buffet dinner) was another highlight and I couldn't help but had a lot of fresh seafood BBQ.
I like the spa treatment too, but better go in daytime as the center in the hillside and it was quite dark that I got lost after changing clothes….
My stay in Six Senses Ninh Van Bay was wonderful, though I may not visit there again; surely I look forward to stay in another resort run by Six Senses in future!

Room Tip: If you are afraid of gecko, don't choose Beachfront Villa as there is an outdoor garden and the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mandy C
sixsensesninhvanbay, The Management team at Six Senses Ninh Van Bay, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Xin chao Mandy C,

Thank you very much for your favorable comments about your recent stay. One of the best features about Six Senses Ninh Van bay, is the perfect balance of the good food, professional service and beautiful natural surroundings. It is so delighted that we could share with you our love for nature.

We are very grateful that you love the experience at Vietnamese street market buffet and Dinning by the Rocks and thank you for sharing about the price. If others have been in the 5 stars resorts, we think they will agree with you.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please let us know if we can help to plan your next visit either at Six Senses Ninh Van Bay or at our sisters Six Senses properties.

Thanks again for being our guest!

Kind regards,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

What a amazing resort, we stay 2 nights, we booked a Water pool villa and we got upgrade to the most wonderful villa ever: The Rock Retreat. On the arrival all the staff were super friendly and helpful and the general manager was waiting for us and give a friendly and happy welcome to resort. When we get in the room we have a beautiful basket of fresh fruits of welcome gift.
The Rock Retreat Villa is 20 min walk from the lobby or 2 min by private boat. It is built on and surround by rocks right on the water which make very unique and special, its 2 bedrooms villa and a wonderful private pool...We have the stunning view from the water and you can see also the resort. Its very private, very comfortable bed, huge deck and a nice relaxing room outside the villa where u can see the beautiful sunset. The bathroom is amazing, very nice wooden bathtub and also have a steam shower. Love the open air shower outside. The villa have free Wifi, TV, air con and fan. The housekeeping do a excellent job and the villa looks incredible. We had a butler 24h, very helpful and friendly. The water is so clean you can see all the fishes. The resort have a wonderful beach with a lots of activities all day, nice swimming pool, also u can book special trips. We did the cooking class, 3 vietnamese meal (Fresh spring roll, Hot and sour fish soup and Seafood simmered in clay-pot), the cooking class was a amazing experience, the chief was so friendly and professional, and after we cooked we tried our own food, so delicious. I recommend you do the cooking class, the hotel have a little organic garden where they grow all the herbs, salads for cook.
I haven't tried the Spa, but i guess from the reviews is one of the most amazing in Vietnam. The food on the resort is so yummy and fresh, the breakfast is amazing, we loved the varieties of fresh juices and smoothies.Last night in the resort we had dinner Barbecue night with buffet, you have choice from nice soup Vietnam to fresh fish, seafood and wonderful salads. Delicious dessert to finish. We stayed in others SixSense resorts but this one was very special. We can't wait to be back here again and stay longer.

Room Tip: Try the cooking class!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rodrigo N
sixsensesninhvanbay, The Management team at Six Senses Ninh Van Bay, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Xin chao Rodrigo N,

Warm greetings from Ninh Van Bay!

Thank you for sharing your impression with us through which we believe that you truly enjoyed your stay. Water villa and Rock retreat are among our top requested villas. We will let your review speak for the beauty of Rock retreat as well as for the activities available at the resort.

Gastronomy reflects the culture. We are very happy that you like Vietnamese food and especially the cooking class in our Organic garden. It is also our pleasure that we could help you to discover Vietnamese culture through culinary aspect.

Two days is indeed a bit to short. We are looking forward to having you back in the near future and with a longer stay. And you should try the Spa. ;)

With kind regards,

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed in Rock Villa #1, and enjoyed every minute of our time here. We went snorkelling, fishing, had spa treatments, did a cookery class and ate lots of lovely food. The staff were so professional, without being too formal. The breakfast was lovely, I miss the fresh tropical juices! And as others have said, the view from the restaurant is stunning, it is a great way to start the day. I would highly recommend the cave dining experience, it was excellent, and something really different. Dining by the Rocks, while a lovely setting, disappointed slightly with the food, which is a pity given the price.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Julie029,

Warm greetings from across Ninh Van bay!

Your comment is a strong encouragement for us. While we try to give our best to serve guest, we did fail with the food at Dining be the Rocks. It was indeed a deep regret but we will turn it into action by sitting down our team in charge of the Rocks and discussing on how to improve.

Thank you for recommending the diner in the Wine cellar. We shall keep the good service there.

Looking forward to see you in a near future.

Hospitable regards,

Ho Chi Minh City, null, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

I really enjoy the atmosphere and the good service here.
The scene from my room is very spectacular, I can see the overall view of resort which has swimming pool, the beach and the island far away...
Ninh Van Bay six senses resort makes me feel that I was at home, nice caring of the staff, good service offered at the right time, etc.
The laundry here is good, clean and right time.
Next time on business, I will choose this hotel for my business partners.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Xin chao Nghia T,

It is a huge pleasure to learn that you want to return to Six Senses Ninh Van Bay even with you family or with business partners. We are enhancing some venues in order to provide new experiences to our guest. We truly hope that you can try it and share with us your feedback in your next visit.

Please let us know when you intend to come, we will be more than happy to assiste you.

Best regards,

Ho Chi Minh City, null, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

What an amazing day in Six Senses. The place is absolutely beautiful. The villa, the attitute of employee, the beach here are perfect for me. I love the privacy here. Howerver, food is not what I expect. They need to improve the quality of food

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank VanAnh94
sixsensesninhvanbay, General Manager at Six Senses Ninh Van Bay, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear VanAnh94

Thank you for your great review, to which we are sincerely delighted that you enjoyed the facilities and services during your stay.. That said I'm concerned that you didn't enjoy the food offered, as we truly try and cater for many nationalities. It would be very useful if you could let me know more details of your culinary experience at the resort, so that we can improve upon... Please feel free to contact me on gary@sixsenses.com

Yours sincerely,

Gary Henden
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

What an amazing experience and treat Six Senses Ninh Van Bay was. After the craziness of Ho Chi Mihn City, this was just the place to get comfortable at. From the moment you arrive in Nha Trang Airport, Six Senses is there to take care of you. Pick you up from airport and transport you to their own Private Speed Boat where you take a short 20 minute ride across the bay to the resort. Warmly greeted by your own personal butler at the dock, the experience begins. The resort is located on part of Nha Trang that is completely secluded from everything else. There is not a chance of running into anyone besides the other guests...and even that is somewhat hard to do. We stayed in a Beach Villa...which was amazing. You have your own personal pool and direct access to a beautiful beach, where you may seen 1 other person! The resort provides bicycles for every guest if you choose to ride around...if not, they will pick you up by golf cart as well! The entire staff goes way out of their way to make sure every need/want is met. From the personal butler, to the dining staff, all the way up to the General Managers....they all made sure that our every need was met. I have stayed at many high class resorts, this one may take the cake! If you are into scuba diving or other water sports...the resort has some great personalized options. I scuba dive often, and their Scuba Instructor led on us fantastic private dive. Very safe and well done! A+++ experience.... Did I mention it was sunny and warm every day we were there?? (In rainy season too!!)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mike D,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and other travelers.

It is delighted to read through your posting and to know that you were satisfied with our service and facilities. We always strive to provide a service beyond the so called service and we happily learn that you feel the difference. That has just made our day!

We wish you have more pleasant stay with Six Senses resorts and hope to have a chance to welcome you back to Ninh Van Bay!

With kind regards,