“Peaceful,relaxing but a bit pricey.”

Whale Island Resort
Ranked #38 of 198 Hotels in Nha Trang
Kiama, Australia
“Peaceful,relaxing but a bit pricey.”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Resort itself is clean,rustic & very relaxing. The bungalows are probably the closest thing to the huts on Gilligan's Island that you'll see but are all that you need . If you're not prepared to rough it a bit then Whale Island is not for you.
The water is clean & clear with small coral close to the resort with other snorkelling/dive sites nearby[at a cost]. Kayak hire is also available[again you have to pay].
Breakfast is included in the room rate but lunch/dinner are an extra US$12 & 16 each per day & it's the only food available on the island. However, the meals are plentiful with good variety.
Overall,well worth the effort after the hectic pace of any of the big towns but be prepared for all the extra bits you have to pay up for,it does add up.

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are the go just 3mtrs to the sea.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Quigs70
lxportier, Manager at Whale Island Resort, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Quigs70,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.

You are right to inform the future guest that our meals, our activities have a cost. I would take the opportunity to add that all the prices are available on our official website and that they could send us an inquiry to receive a quotation.

We decided to not offer more expensive all-included package as we wish that our guests would pay only for the activities or the meals that they would chose to take, just like when they stay in town for example.

Alexandre Portier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed at Whale Island Resort for two nights with my friend (who stayed a further two nights). It was fantastic and everything i had hoped for. We stayed in a large beach front bungalow with a sea view and a lovely, private garden area. Due to some boat traffic in the bay in the early morning i would suggest ear plugs for light sleepers. The room had rustic charm and everything we needed to make our stay comfortable. The food at dinner was excellent - a mixture of seafood, soup and meat dishes; extra portions were available on request.

The waterfront bar was a lovely pre dinner drinking spot with reasonably priced cocktails and soft drinks. We enjoyed a leisurely stroll round the island, following the printed map we had been given upon check-in. The snorkeling trip is also very reasonably priced and a good way to see the neighbouring islands, even if snorkeling is not you thing.

There is always a slight anxiety when staying at a resort where you have all your food, drinks and activities put on a tab and pay on check out... we were pleasantly surprised when we were presented with an accurate, itemised bill that didn't break the bank.

Alex, the manager, reception, restaurant and waterfront staff were very attentive, ensuring our stay was a pleasant one.

Despite the excellent muck diving in the area, I was very disappointed with the service provided by Rainbow Divers (not part of Whale Island Resort but the sole dive center in the area); seven divers in a group (several with cameras) on the second dive due to a shortage of full tanks for the guides, just a shrug when i complained to my guide on the boat and the dive center manager that evening and a lack of presence during advertised 6-8 pm period at the bar both evenings i was there.

Some people have suggested the resort is expensive for what it is. I would totally disagree... well maintained, characterful beach front bungalows on a private island in a beautiful bay. A big thumbs up for Whale Island Resort!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gkwaters
lxportier, Manager at Whale Island Resort, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Gkwaters,

Thank you for this comment.

I have adressed your apreciation about the quality of the service providing by the dive centre to the manager of Rainbow Divers Whale Island. It seemed that there was a confusion between two dive team and you ended up your dive with few more divers than planned.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you again.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This was a well looked forward to rest from our full on touring through Vietnam from North to South. The island is away from almost all civilisation or that's how it seemed!
I was a little apprehensive after reading some reviews especially about the food.
My husband and I really enjoyed the menu and had more than we could eat. It was more seafood than meat which suits us just fine as I prefer to eat seafood and vegetables. Breakfast was nice and also plenty of it.
Our bungalow was a basic one and I really liked it except for two things. The hot water service which is solar never reached our cabin so our showers ranged from cold to about body temperature. We mentioned this to the manager and we were told to let the water run for 10 minutes and it would get hot. We let it run for a long time every hour the first day and eventually it became lukewarm about 3 pm. Next morning it was lukewarm in the morning after 10 minutes of running the shower. Same the last day! We were told this was because it is an Eco friendly resort. However our home is totally solar powered and we collect our own water as well, and we always have hot water because the solar electricity boosts it if there is insufficient sun. This needs to be addressed at this resort as a hot shower is very welcome after a day in the sun.
The noise was complained about by other people, but it really didn't bother us much. We were close to the generator and also fronted the harbour or beach. The fishing boats did start early and have open exhausts and pass by regularly but we soon became accustomed to it and could ignore it. Some people may prefer to be further back in the garden than the seafront. I actually liked looking out the door straight to the beach.
Our bed was the other issue. It needed a new mattress as it is so sunken in the middle I couldn't really sleep well, as I was trying not to roll into the middle all the time. A photo I took of our room shows it perfectly and is the first comment by people I show my photos to!
Lastly everyone should be aware of the distance and time it takes to get to this resort. It is frustrating sitting in a car with a no English speaking driver and wondering how far you have to go. It takes 3 hours plus a 15 minute boat ride. We were lucky in that we were dropped at a restaurant in Nha Trang for a lovely lunch at the resorts expense while our driver went back to the airport to collect another couple otherwise we would have been quite hungry and thirsty. You need to take a drink and a snack with you. Therefore I recommend that you need to stay there for at least 3 nights because you use so much time travelling. Our travel agents program offers this as a 2 night module but that only gives you such a short time there enjoying the beautiful surroundings. We left Hoi An at 0730 to fly to Nha Trang and arrived at the resort at about 4 pm so that day was basically gone.
Alex the manager took us on a sunset cruise which was lovely (also cheap) and that was a great finale to a mainly relaxing stay.
I would return if I had a room with hot water and good bed, and would stay longer so that you can truly relax!

Room Tip: Don't take room 22 as it has no hot water and a bad mattress! If you want a better and quieter...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beney49
Dear Beney49,
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. We are honored to read that you enjoyed our Resort and the meals of our restaurant.
I am sorry that the hot water did not reach your bungalow. It should not take that long for the water warmed on the top of the ill to get to the bungalow. I should have checked from you if it was working properly. I do apologize.
We offer to everybody who are picked up around noon from Nha Trang Airport at 3 hours from our jetty to have a lunch break. About the time to travel, I make sure that all travel agency who work with us have the correct information to forward them to their customers who are staying on our resort. Unfortunately, they often forgot.
We will make sure that your solar system will work well and that you will have a comfortable mattress for your coming back and our other guests.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We visited Whale Island Resort twice during our 6 month stay in Vietnam. Highly recommend the place as a destination for scuba certification, low key relaxation and as a hide away from the typical tourist hustle. Since it is a bit of an act to get to the place spend at least a long weekend (or 4-5 days if you wan to get scuba certification for yourself or your kids (10+) - check this ahead of time with Rainbow Divers since they have to potentially arrange for an extra instructor ).
At both our visits we did stay a night in Nha Trang and we very much enjoyed that. A stop in Nha Trang cuts the trip to the airport in half and it is great fun

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Greg0A,
Thank you for your comment.
You are not the only who is convinced that doing a diving course or some fun dives from Whale Island Resort is fantastic. The very secured and protected beach for the skills session is located at less than 20m off the diving store.
The dive team who is living on site will be please to arrange your course schedule or your fun dives in regard of your expectations (it would be a good idea for a Padi course to do your theory on line before your arrival) and the time that you may want to spend for some other activities or for a relaxing sun bathing.
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

My partner & I had the opportunity to have a 3 night stay at this resort recently. What I aim to do here is give a factual account of our visit. I will leave you as the reader to merely reflect on my comments.

We arrived at Nha Trang Airport mid early afternoon & were picked up by the resort mini bus. There was another couple from Holland who joined us. What you need to be aware of is that the journey takes almost 3 hours including a short 15 minute boat trip to the Island. The road isn't the best & the driving standards in these parts is questionable at times. Disappointingly we were not afforded the opportunity to have a refreshment stop en-route to the resort.

Anyway, on arrival to what is a lovely island, the local manager Alex gave us a brief outline of what facilities were available etc. Unlike most of the other hotels/resorts we stayed at during our 3 week tour the offer of a welcoming complimentary drink was not forthcoming. It is always nice for your custom to be be appreciated. Anyway, no big deal but there we go.

The quirky bamboo huts we stayed in were basic but this was something we were well aware of before we got here. One electric socket in the room & two coffee cups but no kettle or tea/coffee provided. On arrival we were supplied with 2 small bottles of water in the room. There was no replenishment. All drinking water thereafter needed to be purchased from the bar. Price wise again no big deal but it's these little points which takes the gloss of things. Every other hotel we visited provided complimentary water on a daily basis so a bit penny pinching here I feel. I fully appreciate the resort is on an island & therefore has transportation issues. However, it isn't exactly in the middle of the Pacific Ocean plus it didn't appear to cause problems in stocking up the bar with adequate supplies !!

Hot water in the shower area was a bit hit or miss. We were advised just to keep the hot water tap running till eventually the temperature rose. This took ages. Given the "Eco" theme of the resort we thought this practice was out of line with the basic principles of avoidance of wasting water. Anyway, we followed the guidance given.

The beach is a narrow strip of sand but more than adequate for sunbathing. A number of sun loungers are available at no charge. If you require a towel then a daily charge will be incurred. A nominal amount but once again a charge nonetheless. During the day the bay in which the resort is located is peaceful & tranquil - beautiful in fact . However, beyond the bay there is a stretch of water where there is a busy channel for the huge flotilla of local fishing vessels. Early morning & in the evenings the noise from the engines of these junk boats is fairly constant. If you are a heavy sleeper or use your MP3 headphones regularly then this shouldn't really be an issue for you. Not a criticism merely conveying it as it was for us.

Snorkeling & diving activities were available but these were not something which was on our agenda. There certainly appeared to be a good deal of focus on them by the staff so obviously if you have an interest then you should be well catered for.

No complaints with the food. The staff in the restuarant were both helpful & friendly. Menu was changed every day & if there was anything which you didn't 't really fancy then they were more than happy to provide you with an alternative.

Overall I do feel that the resort could do a lot better in terms of making your stay feel a better experience. We felt that once you were on the island minimal effort was then made to enhance your stay. We have a saying in the UK about "going the extra mile for the customer" which is a principle the resort might be wise to consider. This resort unquestionably has all the potential but perhaps needs to take a closer look at how it interacts with its customers/guests. No business can survive without their support. Taking customers for granted is a recipe for disaster.

Would I revisit the resort ? I would probably say no but that's more to do with the hassle of getting there than anything else. It was an enjoyable experience so give it a go !!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tom K
lxportier, Manager at Whale Island Resort, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Tom K,

Thank you for your comment on tripadvisor that will like all other help us to improve the quality of our service and inform our future guests.

We do clearly let all our guest who we have a chance to contact or all travel agencies who work with us about this details. I can really understand that your transfer was toilsome because you seemed to not be informed about this "detail" by your travel agency and get your flight delayed of about two hours.
There are shorter way to get to our resort but they might not fit our tour schedule.

We are not sure that replenishing water will be a nice touch because it will not stay fresh. That has nothing to do with the cost. The first bottles are placed in the bungalows that do not include fridges just before the arrival of our guest so they can rest a moment before getting along the beach and checking in to the reception. In most other resort, your making your way from the reception to the room. That is not possible on Whale Island.

About the waste of water, it is all my bad: i did not explain you the following.
We heat the water by solar panels. These are located on the top of the little hill behind the bungalows and are link to the bungalow through a long pipe network. It can take 5 to 10 minutes for the water to arrive to the taps or the shower heads, especially if our occupancy is low. Our guest should not be worry: all the water coming out the bungalow is recycled to water the plants and we most of the time have not enough.

I agree with you: we have covered in the last 15 years "many miles for the customers" and still have many others to go. We still work on getting the satisfaction of our guest, sometimes i agree, slowed by the specificity of our environment, but with the same motivation.

Thank you for your contribution.

Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

The whale island resort is perfect for people that want to scape the noise of the city. The resort has cabins spread around the complex some facing the ocean and some a bit further away. The cabins facing the ocean have beautiful views, but I think are not as quiet and private as the ones that are inside, as the path to go to the lobby and restaurant passes right in front of them. I stayed in one of the lasts cabins before the trails that go around the island. The cabin was large and comfortable, with two queen beds that had mosquito nets. The bathroom was also very nice and modern. They do not provide toiletries (only soap) so bring your own shampoo and conditioner.
The hotel has kayaks and snorkels that you can rent and you can also rent a boat if you want to explore the area... or book a snorkeling or diving tour. The beach at the hotel has corals and lots of fish so you can snorkel right there.
There are several trails around the island of you prefer to hike. One takes you to a rock that gives you a 360 degree view of the area.
The restaurant at the hotel is the only option for food (as far as I know), but it is great. The breakfast is very complete with eggs, bread, butter, coffee, tea, and other local pastries that don't know their name (similar to spanish buñuelos). Options for lunch and dinner change every day, with soups, fish, noodles, salads... lots of great flavors.

There is wifi at the bar, a bit slow but enough to catch up on the email.

Finally, staff is very friendly, some don't speak English much but it is fine.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Batitravel,

Thank you for your comment on tripadvisor.
We are glad that your escape to Whale Island and the meals of our restaurant. .

We will be honored to welcome you again on one of our resort.

Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Location is fantastic, bungalows are very nice, food is very ok.

I think a lot of people forget that since there's nothing else on the Island but this resort the prices can't be compared to the mainland. It's still cheap compared to Europe. I think considering that, this is an amazing place to take a short relaxing break during a north to south (or the other way) holiday to Vietnam.
Would recommend this to everyone. Saw a few critical responses here before I booked, but I hope everyone can read between the lines that sometimes the problems are not the resort, but rather the unrealistic expectations of the customer.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Arjen C
Dear Ạrjen,

Thank you for this comments on tripadvicor.

We are delighted to read that your ẹnjoyed your stay in Whale island Resort and will use the opportunity of your review to confirm that our team is available to answer to any inquiry and to explain the services provided on site by email or telephone.

We look forward to welcoming you again if ever you will come back in Vietnam.

Kind Regards

Mia Resort Nha Trang
Mia Resort Nha Trang
#1 of 198 in Nha Trang
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,214 reviews

Been to Whale Island Resort? Share your experiences!