“Great little find!”

Ranked #56 of 209 Hotels in Nha Trang
san francisco
“Great little find!”
Reviewed 28 September 2009

After reading stellar TripAdvisor reviews for Ha Van Hotel, we booked 2 nights here. I'm very happy to say that TripAdvisor did not let me down and we had a wonderful time.

The staff were super helpful and friendly. This was one of the few places in Vietnam where I didn't feel like I was being ripped off. We booked a boat tour through the front desk and it was the best $7 dollars we ever spent. We were taken all around the Nha Trang islands stopping for snorkeling and sun tanning, and fed amazing lunch along with afternoon cocktails. Definitely a highlight of the trip to Vietnam.

Annyyyway, back to the hotel. We booked the superior room with a balcony for $22. The room was huge, comfortable, and spotless. The balcony looked out into the street and was a great place to sit for an afternoon beer. The hotel had free wireless as well as two free computers downstairs.

Finally, the location is awesome. It's right next to a bunch of bars and restaurants. In fact we ate some of the best ribs we've ever had in our entire lives at Texas BBQ & Steaks. And around the corner is a really cute Russian hotel that served delicious Russian food. It's called Russia House and be sure to check it out if you are curious about Russian food.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Houthalen
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Very nice hotel in the middle of Nha Trang. Very good breakfast.
All restaurants and bars are in the neigbourghood.

Top location

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 10 September 2009

I stayed at the Havan from the 1st to the 8th of September 2009 in a room with a balcony at USD20 per night.

My friend Jack and I arrived at the Havan on the 1st. Right from the time that we arrived, both of us were attended to by the staff of the Havan with the kind of hospitality that we felt was truly sincere and genuine (as opposed to the kind of hypocritical hospitality where people are nice to you only because you are a customer and they want your money and once they already have your money, the smile disappears almost instantaneously).

I have always believed that this sort of hospitality or the right mental attitude of employees in an organisation can only be implemented in them by a good leader/manager. In the case of the Havan, I attribute this to the hard work and vision of Nicolas.

From what I understand, Nicolas wants everyone who works there not to merely be/feel as an employee of the organisation, but actually be an integral moving part of the Havan. His policy of sharing commission/profits with the employees of Havan and the open relationship that he has with the employees (which can be noticed after a short observation), I would think, are illustrations of that intention.

I must say that under Nicolas's management, the staff of the Havan namely both the morning and afternoon receptionists (I forgot their names), Mr. Ha, the guy running the Rooftop Lounge (whose name I have also forgotten) and the reception boys who are on duty at night were courteous and helpful throughtout my stay.

On arrival, the room tariff that was quoted to us was USD22 per night. As Jack had planned to stay at Nha Trang for 13 days and I for 8 days, we naturally requested for a reduction in the room tariff and without hesitation Nicolas agreed to our request and reduced it to USD20 per night.

My friend Jack opted to pay his room rental for all 13 days upfront in order that he may thereafter focus on managing his costs in respect of all other expenses during the trip. Midway through the trip, he decided to take a two day trip to Dalat. At this juncture, Jack inquired as to whether he could get a refund for the two nights that he would not stay at the Havan and again without any hesitation on the part of Nicolas, Jack received his refund almost immediately. (I say almost because I am informed that Nicolas had to obtain the refund from his Boss i.e. the wife). If I'm not mistaken, a refund of monies already paid in most hotels is non existent or normally tied up with red tape.

Jack and I, being the pesky tourists that we were, hounded Nicolas with scores of questions ranging from sights to transportation everytime we saw him in the hotel lobby and without fail, he obliged us each and every time. In instances when he couldn't fulfill our requests personally, he provided us with the next best solution.

The hotel is a stone's throw away from the beach and the best clubs, pubs and restaurants in Na Thrang and as such transportation is not a problem because you can just walk to those places.

The room that I stayed in was clean, comfortable and pleasantly decorated and had the required furniture. I would have to agree with other reviewers that the bed was a little hard but as I did not have any trouble at all falling asleep on the bed, I wouldn't really say that it is a cause for complaint. From our conversations with Nicolas, I am given to understand that he has been making improvements on the hotel in stages. I am confident that the complaints of hard beds will be addressed soon enough.

The wi-fi signal in my room was sufficient for my purposes and the cable tv had the appropriate channels to keep me entertained at the times that I was not out sightseeing or at the beach.

The Rooftop Lounge is an excellent place to chill out after a long day of sightseeing, however as one other reviewer observed, it is seriously underused. As of the day that I checked out from the hotel, the Rooftop Lounge is closed for renovations. I think Nicolas is coming up with a plan to make the Rooftop Lounge the most happening chill out place in Na Thrang. Based on what he has already done to the hotel, I think he will succeed and I wish him all the best.

I am envious of my friend Jack who is still on holiday at the Havan as I'm writing this review. Sadly, I am back at work and slowly getting used to the fact that my holiday is actually over. However, I must say that my stay at the Havan was Truly a Holiday.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We had the opportunity to stay with the Ha Van Hotel from August 9 through August 12, and we greatly enjoyed our stay. The rooms were great, the staff was very helpful with anything that we needed, and I thought the whole hotel had a very welcoming, fun vibe about it (and the rooftop lounge is criminally underused!). They all seem like one big, happy family. Also, the hotel is very near all the frequented Western restaurants and bars, and only a five minute walk from the beach.

The one thing is that if you don't get used to the whole Southeast Asian thing with the bathroom and toilet being together without any separation, you may not like it here. It takes some getting used to, no matter what hotel you're staying at. That would be the only thing I would mention as a negative, and it's not even really a knock on the Ha Van.

We would definitely recommend the Ha Van to any of our friends or family who travel to Nha Trang.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Flamingosuites, Owner. at Ha Van Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2009
Thanks to the reviewer! Our team, my wife and I certainly appreciate it!

Poor you! Over the last two weeks we have installed shower curtains in most of our rooms (were it was making sence) so that the wet feets are thing of the past! We have also took the opportunity to replace all our shower heads (many rooms have now rain showers).

The Ha Van Hotel has evolved over the last two years and will continue to do so. Many new features will come online soon, stay tuned. Thanks again for all our reviewers and readers!

Nicolas
On behalf of the Ha Van Hotel team
australia
Reviewed 26 August 2009

This hotel is a great hotel in a great location. The rooms are clean and good sized and the best part of it all is the price you pay for per night.
There are plenty of hotel choices in Nha Trang, all around the same price and it can get confusing as to what place you should choose. This place is as good as and better than most others in this price range. Well worth a stay for the budget traveller. You wont be disappointed if you stay here, staff are very freindly.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
Brisbane
Reviewed 6 August 2009

I've stayed in a lot of budget accommodation over the years and Ha Van rates as one of the best.

Nha Trang is "holiday city" and there are lots of hotels and bars to choose from but the friendliness and service at Ha Van stands out. It's no surprise that it is rated so highly on Trip Advisor - up with hotels charging 10 times the rate.

Conveniently located near the beach and "restaurant row" Nicholas and his staff couldn't be more helpful. They reliably and economically booked flights, taxis, airport transfers, day trips and completed wake up calls. All for $22.

Our room on the 4th floor was clean, the maid service friendly and efficient. Like another reviewer, we were there during Vietnamese holiday season and guess what...the Vietnamese take their kids on holiday too. Get over it!

The White Russians at the roof top bar are worth the detour and a quiet sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of the "costa del Vietnam"

Nicholas, Mr Ha and all the staff couldn't have been more helpful, so look no further.

Finally if you need a bit of a pampering: haircut, foot massage, shave, potato mask facial or pedicure try the Sunrise Salon on the corner. It turns old blokes into metrosexuals - cheap!

Fabulous!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
sweden
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Me and my husband has spend 14 days at Ha Van Hotel. And it was much better than the expensive hotel in Hongkong and Saigon. Just one word, the best hotel and staff in Nha Trang. Be proude Nicolai

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple