“Very good value”
Review of Areg Hotel

Areg Hotel
Ranked #22 of 70 Hotels in Yerevan
Reviewed 6 February 2012

It is always difficult in any capital city to locate a clean safe and inexpensive hotel. I booked the Areg, it met all I required. Arriving at gone midnight on a cold snowy night I was taken across the courtyard to find that my "single" room contained a double and a single bed. The bathroom was in keeping with the rest of the room ,basic but clean and tidy. It was also nice to find that the room was warm and lacked for little. It was not all perfection, breakfast is from 9am I was told. The look in my face must have hit a nerve as the lady announced that she could in fact cater for an earlier time should I wish. We settled on 0815 but I was surprised that the door that led back into the main hotel area was locked until 0815, I did a few circular walks around the courtyard!
Breakfast was fairly basic, hard boiled eggs, cheese, salami bread and jams with tea or coffee. It was adequate and set me up for my drive to Karabakh. When I came to pay my bill was 5$ less than I had been quoted by a uk booking agent. I tried to pay the expected sum mindful of what must have been a room upgrade but there was no way the charming staff would accept even a tip! Yes, the Areg is 10 mins out of town but the metro is adjacent and a cab to the centre is less than 2$. A most pleasant small but clean and well run hotel, it will not disappoint.

Room Tip: Arrive late in the off season, smile and enjoy what is offered!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank MalmesburyDave
There are newer reviews for Areg Hotel

Reviewed 29 November 2011

I spent about 3 or 4 night at Areg hotel about 2 years ago, this is my points of view about that period:
Good points:
1- it is not located near the populated or commercial centers, so ambient is relatively calm.
2- It is near a metro station which I think was named " Sasoonadavit."
3- The crews were very friendly and experienced. there was one girl named Nvard, who could speak English, Russian and a little persian,
4- They had one day tours with exceptional prices!
3- Good Breakfasts!

Bad points.
1- The area it is located in, is not very chic.
2- the furnichures were a little old fashioned. and also the building itself
3- At the time I went there, there were some reconstruction operations, which made some noises,
4- In armenia %98 percent of works are done by women, As a result, some furnichures needed fixing!

Room Tip: Check the doors and windows first!
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Sahand K
Reviewed 7 November 2011

If you wanted to be treated like family, you should book Areg Hotel on your next visit to Yerevan, I know I will. The wonderful staff members treated me like family. On my first night in Yerevan, my check-in wasn't until 12:30 P.M. but the manager kindly admitted me at 2:00 A.M. in the morning the prior day! How many Hotel's would do that for you? Instead of spending the night at the Zvartnots Airport in Yerevan, I had a wonderful Armenian family drive me to Areg Hotel at 2 in the morning, where I was greeted and welcomed. Yes, my room wasn't ready, but the wonderful manager made me a bed in the lobby to sleep as well as coffee and a meal. AGAIN, Areg Hotel is part of my family now for doing such a thing, the staff have big and kind hearts made of gold. The service was excellent, the location was great (not to far from the metro station...about 2 blocks near Sassoon Davit), the room I stayed in was very clean, not to mention huge and had 2 beds, a working TV with cable, free wifi (although signal was best in the lobby), and a refrigerator. The shower worked very well with full-time hot water and had clean towels. I had a wonderful expereince during the week of September 26, 2011, no complaints at all, I would definitely go back! I have another trip to Yerevan planed in February of 2012 and will visit Areg again of course. Nothing about this hotel was bad, everything was perfect, the staff will care for you a lot. The breakfast was the best Hotel breakfast by far, and I'm from the United States. The best eggs, bread, and cheese, not to mention coffee and tea. God Bless the staff at Areg Hotel, forever in my heart and mind. -Kevork Tanossian (Fresno California USA)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Kevork T
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed at Areg Hotel for 15 days in August 2011. The room rate was very affordable compared to the quality of room and services that they provide, I traveled to Gharapagh and in my return I stayed again at Areg Hotel, the location was great, very calm, relaxing, and friendly staff, always welcoming and helpful. Metro station is 2 min walk from the hotel, supermarkets, exchange shops, and more, are close too. It was a nice experience, I adviced all my friends and family members to stay at this hotel and I personally whenever will go to Armenia, will not stay except at this hotel :-)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Armig D
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I have a good experience and memory in this hotel with my friends. So i introduce this hotel to many people and friends that they want to go to Armenia.
I tell about this hotel with short sentences, beaus it enough.

1- Very good place and cozy yard.
2- Friendly, lovely and warm Staffs.
3- Good services.
4- Rooms and all places are clean and beautiful.
5- Nice, good quality and delicious breakfast.
6- Good and enjoyable tour.
7- Very good price.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Foad B
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This hotel is located about 3 km from Republic Square, just two blocks from Railway Station with public transport.The hotel is at the end of a side street in offset part of town in which some people didn't knowe of it.Just keep in mind that it's located up the street from the Railway station. The rooms at this hotel are large with refrigerator, the bathroom is outside your room in another room outside which looks like you've entered somebody's old house.There are rooms across the courtyard of the hotel as well in which access to bathrooms are in another corridor.The rooms were somewhat clean the maid service is every other day unless you request it .There is a heater/air conditioning. The gals at the lobby always looked like they're depressed or tired. They don't serve breakfast until 9 AM so if you're an 'Early Bird' you'll be waiting around .The front staff will make your feel like you owe them an apology for asking about breakfast at 8:15 AM in the morning in which they were sleeping.They have a tour desk so they tell you... the rates have breakfast which was eggs , toast, cereal ,coffee , tea.The lobby has a fridge in which they sell soft drinks,water & beer. Grab an Ararat Beer then just unwind in this place as the staff is uptight.This a reasonably priced hotel that's good for just a couple of nights then move onwards there are others out there with better service & location.

Room Tip: Get the 4th floor room you'll have better view of city & Mount Ararat .
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank kraor
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I have a good undrestaning about budget hotels and hostels since i have traveled alot on low income countries and stayed in many low budget hotels. but i think there are some important points which make a hotel good no matter how cheap it is.

In Areg the staffs who all were women, were not nice and not friendly at all from the begining. Also they lock the hotel door at 12 and if you come later and wake them up they show you an upset face. They will not bringing anything to your room not tea or coffee not even your cloths from their expensive laundery.

The room was not clean at all worn carpets I think from WWII or I. dirty towels and I noticed one small coacroch on one of the towels. thanks god that i had my own towel.

Very uncomfortable pillows and mattress. lots of holes on sheets which show how over used them.

Super noisy fridge and heater. no power plug in bathroom. They just put shampoo for damaged colored hair. Btw, water temperature was not hot at all.

No one to help you with your baggages.

And hotel is 2.7 kilometers far from center. (Thanks Google map)

I missed my breakfasts so can't tell about food quality.

Only good thing about this hotel was the room size which was quite big. Trust me I'm not one of those guys who complains about bad services but this one was terrible.

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank newvisor
Nvard M, Manager at Areg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

I’d just like to say Thank you to all of you for your nice reviews, and for staying good friends with us. If we were warm and friendly I can say the same thing about you because it could not be by one side, it should be mutual, and thank you also for being so. Just Some people accept that warmth and appreciate (Thanks to God, They are the majority) some of them –no, may be because the expectations are different. Of course it is impossible to satisfy everybody. Different people different opinions, different way of thinking...This is not a respond from just a hotel manager but from a friend like we have stayed. One who will always be glad to meet you again.
About the only bad review, I don’t want to justice ourselves , or to say what was true and what was wrong, just it is strange to read so much complaints from one, who even asked to stay one extra night in our hotel. From a bad hotel like it is described one would like to leave one hour before. Anyway I’d like to say say thank you also for being honest, and really do, wish you to have better impression if you decide to visit us

Kindest regards