“Clean rooms, tasty breakfast, helpful staff.”
Review of Areg Hotel

Areg Hotel
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Yerevan
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Areg is a family run, cozy place. I have stayed there 2 times. at first I booked it with an online booking system, trusting the positive reviews and then the 2nd time i already knew where to stay. the staff was very helpful. i got a private wi fi device in my room, I was calling them " no problem" , as there was nothing they couldn't do for you. oh .. Yes, and i liked Armenian boiled coffee in the nice yard ( I don't know if the coffee was Armenian or Turkish , but they said so..). i will stay there again and again for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 July 2013

First day... Cheked in half a day before time.. was warmly wellcomed by Ani 4AM. in the morning. Ani sold me nice and cold Armenian beer there for only 600 drams pr. ½ liter. Very nice twin room... more clean then my own flat. Wonderfull view to Mt. Ararat from the balcony. Great breakfast and beer served in the garden. Great help by the staff so the taxidrivers could not screew up the arrival-address :-) Actually my Armenian friends worried a lot about me.. without any reason.. because staff of Hotel Areg took so good care of me... felt like "the new boy in school" the first day only :-) Location was just great.... 7min and 35 sec. later you are in the Heart ( Rep. Sq.) at Yerevan...(1,08 € !!! ) Now i wonder why i needed the Hilton and Hyatt Hotels before.... now i know Hotel Areg... Will stay there again for sure if possible

Room Tip: Thinking about some negative to say.... thinking, thinking... still thinking... nothing bad to tell...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Steen P
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Warm and friendly management and staff, the hotel is close to train station, tour manager Nvard is wonderful, breakfast outdoor is lovely every morning, rooms are cozy, unbelievably affordable in total! I am a resident of Dubai and i highly recommend Areg Hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Although this hotel is centrally located and only one metro stop from the city center (or about a 20 minute walk), it doesn't feel that way. It's tucked away on a quiet residential street behind the US Embassy. I was given a huge room with 3 beds even though I paid only the single person rate.

Beds aren't soft, so if you can't deal with a firm mattress this isn't your place. It is typical in central Asia and China for mattresses to be more firm though. Just keep this in mind.

The room was clean, almost everything worked, air conditioning worked well and this is a well-run place if a bit faded around the edges. The rate reflects that. The breakfast wasn't as generous as most Armenian breakfasts, just some bread, butter, cheese, instant coffee (or tea) and low quality sausages. A bit of a disappointment but hard to complain for the price charged.

The lobby is well stocked with beers and refreshments and the pleasant courtyard is a very nice place to enjoy these.

I will try to respond to some of the negative comments other people have posted:

- First of all remember where you are. This is Armenia, not London. Given that the borders with this country are closed except to Georgia and Iran, it's almost petty to complain about the size of the hotel shampoos. In this country, some products are not readily available and you need to understand this and sometimes be glad that something is available at all.

- It's also important to consider what is appropriately friendly in a given culture. Armenians are reserved people, they are not gregarious like Americans. People are not being rude if they maintain a bit of personal space. This is just the culture so understanding it before you criticize it is important.

- I didn't have any problems with hot water - on the other hand, the hotel was not full and I stayed in the summer. Not sure whether the problem has been resolved or not, but I didn't experience it.

After a complimentary review and even feeling obligated to defend this hotel against some of the negative comments, why didn't I rate this property "excellent?" I am a very tough reviewer and everything has to be 100% perfect for me to give an "excellent" rating. In my room, the holder for the shower nozzle was broken so I had to prop it up on the soap rack in order to take a proper shower. Also, I thought the breakfast could really have been better. Armenia is famous for very good food so it was a bit of a letdown.

Would I stay again? "Very good" means exactly that and I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: WiFi does not work in all rooms! Be sure that you get a room with working WiFi if this is important...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank dialtone69
Reviewed 8 July 2013

At first we thought it was a wrong idea going to Yerevan because of how we saw it, and the people were not very hospitable, but then thanks to Areg and the whole team it turned out to be an amazing trip! Thanks to Nvard who was our tour guide, taking us around Geghard, Garni, and Sevan.. etc. Without her our trip to Armenia would've been boring. If ever we go back to Yerevan, I know which Hotel to book without any doubt, its the place to be! The staff were very friendly and kind, always there when you need them even after midnight.. I miss our trip there. <3

Room Tip: I don't know how to explain, it's better if you check it yourself, you won't regret stay...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We had 5 calm and peaceful nights in Areg hotel. Its vicinity to the Yerevan's railway station made our commutation to the center of the city very convenient and cheap. Prices are lower compared to the other hotels placed near the center, while I believe the services provided are comparable. Since it is located a little bit far from the center, it benefits from the silence and peacefulness of the Yerevan. The breakfast is served in the yard with the beautiful scenery of the apricot tree bearing fruits. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staffs are very nice, always ready to help. It would be certainly my first choice, the next time I visit Yerevan.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mahya S
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Whenever I am in Yerevan on business, I don't need to bother asking myself in which hotel I should stay. Areg has been and will continue to be my first choice, and I don't plan to change it for any hotel next to the city centre which, logistically, would make more sense for my business. Clean and spacious rooms and easy access are its main advantages in terms of logistics. You have an easy walk of about 5 minutes to the very reliable metro which runs every 5 minutes during the day and every 10 minutes during the evening. This means that in order to go to the Republic square from the hotel you don't waste more than 15-20 minutes. A 100 meters away from the hotel, en route to the metro, there is a decent market and several small shops where you can buy food, drinks, etc. Besides the comfort that Areg offers you, there is plenty of something else there, which gives to the hotel an extra value - the infinite kindness and willingness to help. I should emphasise that I have hundreds of thousands of miles of travel behind me and I can say that I have nowhere and never encountered such a friendly staff. Whatever you need, they are there to help, in such a sweet, unassuming manner. In addition, what is most important, in all those years I have stayed in Yerevan, the staff's approach and attitude to their guest, and the quality of hotel has not changed – it has improved. A couple of rooms have already been refurbished, improvements are seen also in the courtyard, and there are further plans to renovate... Long and beautiful story short, having stayed in so many hotels around the world, I can safely recommend Areg as your first choice if you find yourself in Armenia's capital. In fact, as you can see from the reviews below, an impressive majority of visitors agree.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business