“A pleasant, functional and friendly hotel”
Review of Europe Hotel

Europe Hotel
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Yerevan
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“A pleasant, functional and friendly hotel”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is a perfectly good 3 star city centre hotel. The location is excellent - a short walk from Republic Square with its awesome evening fountain display. An even shorter walk to the Yerevan City Supermarket, containing a great alcohol section with one of the widest ranging selections of Vodka I've seen. Back to the hotel. The rooms are small but very clean, comfortable and well appointed. If you want a really great view, forget it, there are none (see my photos). But, obviously, this is not the fault of the hotel! On a clear day, you can see Mt Ararat in the distance. The bar is adequate for a "quick one", but there is limited choice (e.g. no draught beer) and not much atmosphere. The breakfasts were excellent, with hot/cold choices and much of the very fine food was locally produced. Many of the staff spoke good English and were always pleasant, helpful and welcoming. It's all you need, really!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Christopher O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Wherever
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Overview

A good hotel if you are a tourist but not if your business depends on a reliable internet connection.

Merits

I agree with most of what the other commentators have said: it is in a good central location on a quiet street – although there were drunks outside my window past 2am one night - with many restaurants and shops in close proximity.

The staff are friendly and the room fine. I disagree with the comments that the rooms are too small and are “tired”. I have stayed in many far smaller and tattier rooms. My room and the dining room were both non-smoking rooms.

I agree that a kettle would be a useful addition.

The buffet breakfast was very good.

Demerits

The rumble of underground trains – these were apparent both in my first floor room and in the dining room – but not enough to cause any problems unless you are a light sleeper.

However, the WiFi internet only works some of the time – and will not even attach small files consistently - which can be annoying if you have something to send by a tight deadline. If you are in Yerevan for leisure this would not be a serious problem but if there on business, as I was, and needing good quality, reliable internet connection 24/7, this is probably not the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Front you are on a quiet road with the odd drunk; back you look over yards but can see Mount Ararat...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank GOM99
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Good location in the center of Yerevan in a quite rooad, personnel very polite (they speak also french) and clean. However, the room furniture is poor and without personnality, the breakfast nothing special (they charge espresso as an extra) and needs renovation works

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank greg_lia
EuropeHotel A, General Manager at Europe Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear guest,
we thank you for choosing Europe Hotel and we appreciate your sincere opinion about our property and services. Europe Hotel has an external french-style architecture and an interior full of paintings and refurbished furniture, a minimalist but very functional room furniture and most of all a personalized service what makes Europe Hotel a boutique hotel. However we agree that more should be done to satisfy our guests, thus we thank you for your comment.
As for the breakfast, our daily prepared buffet ,with a wide variety of hot/cold and sweet/salty dishes and products, has become so famous in town that we even serve to guests staying at other hotels. As for the espresso(like any other item that is excluded from the buffet) is charged as extra.
We hope we will accomodate you once again during your next trip to Yerevan and we would me more than glad to serve you the best of the Armenian hospitality.
The management.
Warsaw
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hotel is clean and comfortable. The staff is nice and helpful and speaks english which is really useful. However they were a bit strict in terms of check in hours. Breakfast is continental but varied. The location is excellent, close to metro station and Republic Square.

Room Tip: The street is quite in general so it makes no difference wich part - frontal or backside - you choos...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Kathmandu
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The hotel is located close to the Republic Square, the shopping area and some nice restaurants. The lobby is colorfully decorated with comfortable seating. The double and triple rooms are rather small but clean, and the breakfast served is excellent, with a wide choice of healthy options of muesli and fruits. The staffs are ready to help with a big smile.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back do not command nice view. However, in the front it is right on the main street...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed at Europe Hotel for 9 days and I was happy with everything until the night I checked out. First the positives:

-great location, walking distance to most places. At the heart of Yerevan.
-breakfast was good
-service was ok

Now the problems,

I asked them to call a cab for me to the airport, ok great. A few minutes later he asked me to come to the counter to tell me something. He said it will be 8,000 drams (I spent 5,000 from the airport, and my fiance spent just 3,000). He then told me to pay HIM the 8,000, I told him no I will pay the cab.

So the cab drops me off and I pay him 5,000 drams. He wanted the 8,000. Why should I pay him 8,000 when the airport is close to the hotel and he didn't even have his meter on which is illegal. Taxi drives in Yerevan know maybe 2% english. So he gave me the middle finger and I just left.

10 minutes later hotel wakes up my fiance by calling her room at 3 a.m and threatened her by saying they will call the embassy and the police on her if she doesn't pay 5,000 drams. Hotel also lied and said I paid 3,000 drams! She spoke to the hotel manager and her apologized and said she didn't have to pay anything.

Did not get the name of this employee. My recommendation is do not pay 8,000 drams from hotel to airport. Instead find your own taxi. If it wasn't for this experience I would give this hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kaveh2k
EuropeHotel A, General Manager at Europe Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Trip Advisor members,

based on the last review by our guest "kaveh2k", and since we take every single guest's opinion and feedback very seriously, we had a serious approach to what encountered our guest during his check out. After the urgent meeting we had for this issue, we all agreed that the receptionist's behavior was unacceptable and not worthy to the standing of our establishment, thus he has been subject of severe warning and penalty. We are sure and certain that a similar behavior will not be part of our staff's attitude in the future.

As for the price of the airport drop off, we checked with the major hotels in Yerevan and it turned out that most of them charge the same price as we do and even more. A fact that exists in all hotels around the world, a taxi called by a concierge is always more expensive because it makes part of the hotel services.

Finally, we hope that this incident will not prevent Mr. "kaveh2k" to stay at Europe Hotel again, in this occasion I would like to inform him that if he decides to visit Yerevan again he will be granted two complimentary nights in one of our suites as a small gesture from our part.

Though we work hard for a perfect service but it turns out that our human vices sometimes make our tasks more difficult.

Europe Hotel's Board of Directors
Tbilisi, Georgia
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Europe Hotel is located very close to the Republic Square in the City Centre and can be reached easily. It is in a quieter street. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The staff speaks fluent French and English. The rooms, beds and bathrooms are not large but good and comfortable. The little wear on some spots is not bothering as they keep it well and clean. They have a good buffet breakfast. The WiFi worked better in December 2012 than earlier. I felt comfortable and enjoyed my stay. The room at the backside gave a nice view in the morning on Mount Ararat on a clear morning. On Sundays there is market around the corner (between Aram and Buzand Street) offering all kinds of souvenirs, second hand books and household items, etc.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business