“We weren't so pleased”

and 1 more site!
Anahit Stepanyan's B&B
Ranked #9 of 120 Yerevan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Maybe it is a matter of age and maybe our expectations were simply too high... but we didn't like our stay too much.

The private room is actually her son's room and is usually used by him. So he needed to enter it once in a while to get his things out. Not that it would matter so much but I hated the feeling of intruding. We have slept in homestays before but I never felt so out of place as I did here.

We did not take breakfast because I really don't like old, stale cakes from the supermarket. That also left us with a slightly weird feeling. Also, when other guests also arrived the place is too full and there starts to be a waiting list for the shower.

I personally didn't take to Anahit and it was no surprise that she claimed the price on her website was higher than what I said it was. Obviously this was easily checked. It was just another weirdness to put up with.

The location is very good though, right in the center of things. But next time I would opt for another place. It still is a miracle to us how this B&B got these good ratings.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Sandra Q
There are newer reviews for Anahit Stepanyan's B&B

Reviewed 8 May 2013

This is a very homely B&B right in the center of Yerevan. It is basically a large apartment turned into a guesthouse. There is a dorm room, two semi private rooms (other guests can walk through), an open loft room and one fully private room. The good things about the guesthouse: It's very affordable and right in the center of town; Anihit, the hostess, speaks excellent english and is very helpful; it has a very homely atmosphere where guests generally sit around the living room to talk. The only drawback could be that the place only has one shower, which wasn't a problem when I visited, but could be a little difficult if the place fills up. Have to say thanks to Anahit as I celebrated my birthday here and was treated to a nice birthday cake.

Room Tip: There's only one private room, so phone ahead if you need this.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 November 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed with Anahit for 3 days this fall and loved being her guests. Anahit's house is in the center of town--right on Opera Square--so very accessible by metro and shared taxi systems, as well as within walking distance to downtown Yerevan's attractions.
The walk up to the 4th floor flat was well worth it. We had a view of Mt. Ararat from our private bedroom's window.
There is wifi, and Anahit was so happy to make suggestions about what to do, how to get there, and also just talk about her country and her views on various topics. We were lucky enough to have Anahit all to ourselves (except for her son) for the first two days, and we definitely loved having her to ourselves. --Anahit made us breakfast and tea, chatted with us, and then sent us off with good wishes and clear directions for the day. She was helpful without being overbearing; knowledgeable, but not pushy. Staying with her was like coming home to a very friendly, helpful stranger's house, and we loved it. You will, too.

Room Tip: The private double has a view of Mt. Ararat and Opera Square. Well worth the $10 extra!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Annika T
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My husband and I just returned today and felt that we had to write a review..we'd never stayed in a 'home stay' before and I'd say that it's probably one of the best ways to get to know not just the country but the people of the country. That said, we have no doubt that our sentiment is down to the fantastic time that we spent with Anahit and her family. Our days were spent travelling around Yerevan and various monasteries around the country and our evenings were spent sharing tales and exchanging stories with other guests - we had serious and jovial discussions and shared many jokes - what an amazing experience. Anahit was involved in our plans as little or as much as we wanted - having previously worked in the tourism industry her knowledge and advice was invaluable to us. The set up at Anahit's accommodates all types of travellers, those travelling alone, those in groups, those with knowledge of Armenia and first time visitors - great location and great price

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jon J
Reviewed 10 October 2012

All I know about Armenia I learned in Anahit's kitchen ---
We had a very pleasant stay in Anahit Stepanyan's B&B. It was hard for us to leave from the nice balcony and kitchen, where we heard a lot about Armenian history, culture and thought. We stayed for 9 days instead of 2 and that was just because of the wonderful atmosphere at Anahit's place. Don't hesitate to trust her with her recommodations - she knows best! Anahit, thanks again for everything! Nora & Martin

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nora Z
Reviewed 23 September 2012

When LP writes about the "homey experience" this is absolutely right. I repeatedly stayed at Anahit's place in August 2012 and enjoyed it very much. Anahit is a great and active host. She speaks very good english and is always helpful - be it for concrete traveling hints or be it for solving the big questions of this universe. Cheers, Paul

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank PaulVienna_12
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I have stayed with Anahit twice and both were great experiences. The first time with my friend in June and the second time with my boyfriend in September 2012. Anahit is a wonderful, very interesting and kind host. Her apartment really has the best location for a great price, especially in the low season. I have stayed in both the dormitory room and the private room. When I stayed with my boyfriend at her apartment the private room wasn't available on both of the nights we wanted to stay. She was so helpful and organised for us to stay in the 'dormitory' room. Which turned out to be a room with only one double bed in! She is also very helpful and tells you the best places to go in Yerevan and gives very good directions. If I go back to Yerevan I would definately go and stay with her again. I would recommend for anyone to go stay with Anahit, whether you are with friends, family or as a couple, you will not regret it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple