“Very good experience”

Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel
Ranked #5 of 70 Hotels in Yerevan
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hotel, service and breakfast were very good. The location is excellent, near the Republic Square, a big market and more. We enjoyed the breakfast with lots of fruit, yogurt, cakes etc. There is a very nice shop for Armenian carpets.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lilushi
There are newer reviews for Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I was all excited to visit Armenia... An American born son returning to the home of his ancestors... While it sure was an experience... I was disappointed to find Armenia to be a dusty relic of the Soviet Union... Less than friendly to Americans. The hotel was nice, newly refurbished, but missing some finishing touches. The folks who worked there acted as of I was some sort of suspect, out of place in this nation... People seemed to have a deep sadness and were reluctant, almost angry to speak English. This nation and the people in it are closely aligned with Russia, not America. Nobody struck up small talk nor smiled, they seemed upset at the front desk that I did not have a reservation... I was winging it... The bellhop carried my bag to the room, dropped it, then walked out, didn't bother trying to get a tip despite the fact I had one handy.

The Hotel was nice, rather fine and in a good location. I would recommend it if you travel here and can afford the price... People just were less than friendly that's for sure... Coming from Dubai where service is Paramount... Well... Armenia just fell short in many ways, but I'm glad I experienced it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed only one night in this hotel but were happy with our choice. The hotel location is excellent close to the Republic square, restaurants, shops, Vernissage and fountain water show. A taxi to the Dalma shopping mall will cost about 600 AMD and takes 10 minutes.

The hotel is modern with a stylish interior. They have incorporated old Armenian style with a modern look. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and of a decent size. Wifi works well. Unfortunately, we didn't have a possibility to try out the breakfast.

There are a couple of things that we weren't impressed about. The first thing was the slow and at times unfriendly service. The other thing was that housekeeping kept the doors open to their own room (at least on the 7th floor) and were making a lot of noise also during the day and night. We woke up at 1.30 am, when one of the housekeepers was washing dishes... The housekeepers should not be disturbing guests in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the elevators and the housekeepers, if you value sleep quality.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank alo6
TufenkianHotels, Public Relations Manager at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear alo6,
Thank you for the review.
The comfort of our guests is our priority and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience. We will monitor the housekeeping workflow more closely and will make sure the issue is fixed.

Hope to see you again at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel!

Regards,

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I loved this hotel and have nothing at all to complain. In fact, when leaving Yerevan I booked the other hotels of the Tufenkian chain as well.I love the mixture of modern elegance and Armenian tradition.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank sylviaFlorence

Dear sylviaFlorence,

Thank you for the review.
We very much appreciate your opinion and do our best to meet and exceed your expectations.

Hope to see you again at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel!

Regards,

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My first impression was very good, Lobby area was beautiful,the service was perfect, room were clean, beautiful, the bar was fully equipped..., breakfast was healthy, Location was perfect, near to Vernisaj market, very near to Republic Square, IP TV, and much more...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Armen A

Dear Armen A,
Thank for your review.
It is our pleasure to hear you have enjoyed your stay.

We truly value your opinion and hope to see you again at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel.

Regards

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at the Tufenkian based on its superb reviews. But it turns out the rave reviews were slightly overexaggerated. Yes, it is a decent hotel with EXCELLENT breakfast. However, I was traveling alone, which meant I spent more time at the hotel and expected more. Here are the drawbacks:

1. No mini bar.
2. The staff disappointed me. Whenever I asked them to help me arrange a tour, they looked at me like I was slightly insane. I asked them to help me arrange a tour to Lake Sevan, which I assumed meant I would join a group of tourists on a tour bus, led by a professional tour guide. Instead, I was stuffed into an unmarked car with a lone driver who didn't speak a word of English and only broken Russian. He wasn't a tour guide by any stretch of the imagination. I think he was one of the hotel staff's cousin who just needed an extra $100. It was so awkward (I am a young, female solo traveler, and the driver was a young local, so I didn't feel entirely safe). I cut the tour off halfway through and asked him to take me back to the hotel. Major fail.
3. The WiFi wasn't reliable.

That said, the hotel bar was open 24/7 and always offered good Armenian coffee. I had a nice, spacious bathroom (although the faucets were squeaky) and air conditioning. Plus, the hotel is right in the center of town, just a stone's throw from Republic Square and across the street from a colorful outdoor market with lots of souvenirs.

All in all, though, the Tufenkian just didnt "wow" me like I expected it to. The Marriot is leaps and bounds nicer, but that's at the price of $300 a night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
TufenkianHotels, Manager at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear ebagot,

Thank you very much for your review. We value guest comments and your opinion is vital for us. The issue you mentioned came to us as a surprise, since our Front Desk employees, are very well aware of whom to contact in case of tour request, since we do not provide tour services, but we work with qualified partners. We would like to inform you that we made an investigation, and would like to apologize for inconvenience. It was a misunderstanding, and we want to assure you that it will never happen again. Comfort and safety of our guests is of highest priority for us. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience and hope to host you again.

Best Regards
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I've stayed at other Tufenkian's before, and this is the best of the bunch. A block off the main square on a side street. Newly refurbished. Double glazed quiet windows, perfect air-conditioning, in room refrigerator, elevator, courtesy coffee and tea in the room, two bottles of water each day, in room safe. Our room had 4 bar WiFi even though the password said "in lobby only". The king bed is the best feature and the most comfortable bed we've had in 4 weeks' travel in the Caucasus. Breakfast was superb--with made-to-order cappuccino and eggs your way. Fruit, juices, and the usual meats. Staff is pleasant and speaks excellent English. The kitchen even loaned me a big clay vase for the freesias I bought on the street for my wife! Don't miss this hotel. We stayed 9 nights here

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor with a view of the new Yerevan church.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
TufenkianHotels, Public Relations Manager at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear garlec,
Thank you for the review.

It is our pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay in Historic Yerevan Hotel.

We hope to see you again in our hotels next time.

Regards