“Top Notch Service, Great Breakfast”

Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Yerevan
Beirut, Lebanon
“Top Notch Service, Great Breakfast”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I am an American living overseas with lots of experience in hotels of all categories and price ranges. My wife and I spent a 3-day weekend at the Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel. We were looking for a clean and comfortable hotel with some Armenian character. All-in-all we found what we were looking for, but would note that the hotel could use a touch more authentic character instead of the sleek, modern (made-in-China plastic) finishes such as faucets and so on.

The best feature of the hotel was definitely the staff. They answered tons of questions for us, enabling us to make the most of a short stay in Armenia. They were very friendly, spoke English perfectly, and smiled while doing it.

Another great feature was the breakfast. We had eggs, bacon, potatoes, grilled eggplant, "lentil pancakes", all kind of cereal, yogurt, fruit, etc. It also had great hours 7-11am, which let's you get an early start or sleep in depending on what you feel like doing.

Our room was on the 7th floor. The hallway was not air conditioned, but it wasn't a long walk to the room where the a/c managed to keep up with the 100+ degree (F) temps during our weekend. The bathroom came with tons of shampoo, shower gel, bar soap, lotion, mouth wash, and little vanity kits. Ladies - no conditioner. We had a decent selection of international channels in the room, but didn't watch much TV. The free wi-fi was fast and reliable.

The location was great - short walks to anywhere you'd want to go in Yerevan including only 5 min or less to the Republic Square fountain show.

We spent one day renting a car and driving to Haghpat and Sanahin monasteries in Northern Armenia. It was an awesome trip but I only mention it here to say that we stopped for lunch at the Tufenkian Avan Dzoraget Hotel/Restaurant. If you come to Armenia I would strongly recommend a night or two here - amazing location, beautiful construction, and very kind staff.

All in all I would recommend the Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel as a more character-rich alternative to the Marriott (we stopped there for lunch one day as well - felt like any other hotel).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Senegeser
TufenkianHotels, Public Relations Manager at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Senegeser,

Thank you for the review and all the comments. Our staff is always dedicated to make your stay utmost pleasant and enjoyable.
We have now enriched our breakfast even more and hopefully you will like it just as much when you visit our hotel next time.

As for the faucets, we would like to clearly mention that all our sanitary objects in the bathrooms are German Villeroy & Boch, all faucets are Italian Fiore and all the bed linen is Egyptian Frette. We do not use any Chinese plastic faucets in the bathrooms, so this must be some kind of misunderstanding.

We hope to see you again at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
kfar-saba
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hotel, service and breakfast were very good. The location is excellent, near the Republic Square, a big market and more. We enjoyed the breakfast with lots of fruit, yogurt, cakes etc. There is a very nice shop for Armenian carpets.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lilushi
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I was all excited to visit Armenia... An American born son returning to the home of his ancestors... While it sure was an experience... I was disappointed to find Armenia to be a dusty relic of the Soviet Union... Less than friendly to Americans. The hotel was nice, newly refurbished, but missing some finishing touches. The folks who worked there acted as of I was some sort of suspect, out of place in this nation... People seemed to have a deep sadness and were reluctant, almost angry to speak English. This nation and the people in it are closely aligned with Russia, not America. Nobody struck up small talk nor smiled, they seemed upset at the front desk that I did not have a reservation... I was winging it... The bellhop carried my bag to the room, dropped it, then walked out, didn't bother trying to get a tip despite the fact I had one handy.

The Hotel was nice, rather fine and in a good location. I would recommend it if you travel here and can afford the price... People just were less than friendly that's for sure... Coming from Dubai where service is Paramount... Well... Armenia just fell short in many ways, but I'm glad I experienced it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed only one night in this hotel but were happy with our choice. The hotel location is excellent close to the Republic square, restaurants, shops, Vernissage and fountain water show. A taxi to the Dalma shopping mall will cost about 600 AMD and takes 10 minutes.

The hotel is modern with a stylish interior. They have incorporated old Armenian style with a modern look. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and of a decent size. Wifi works well. Unfortunately, we didn't have a possibility to try out the breakfast.

There are a couple of things that we weren't impressed about. The first thing was the slow and at times unfriendly service. The other thing was that housekeeping kept the doors open to their own room (at least on the 7th floor) and were making a lot of noise also during the day and night. We woke up at 1.30 am, when one of the housekeepers was washing dishes... The housekeepers should not be disturbing guests in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the elevators and the housekeepers, if you value sleep quality.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank alo6
TufenkianHotels, Public Relations Manager at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear alo6,
Thank you for the review.
The comfort of our guests is our priority and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience. We will monitor the housekeeping workflow more closely and will make sure the issue is fixed.

Hope to see you again at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel!

florence
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I loved this hotel and have nothing at all to complain. In fact, when leaving Yerevan I booked the other hotels of the Tufenkian chain as well.I love the mixture of modern elegance and Armenian tradition.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank sylviaFlorence
Dear sylviaFlorence,

Thank you for the review.
We very much appreciate your opinion and do our best to meet and exceed your expectations.

Hope to see you again at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My first impression was very good, Lobby area was beautiful,the service was perfect, room were clean, beautiful, the bar was fully equipped..., breakfast was healthy, Location was perfect, near to Vernisaj market, very near to Republic Square, IP TV, and much more...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Armen A
Dear Armen A,
Thank for your review.
It is our pleasure to hear you have enjoyed your stay.

We truly value your opinion and hope to see you again at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel.

Regards
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at the Tufenkian based on its superb reviews. But it turns out the rave reviews were slightly overexaggerated. Yes, it is a decent hotel with EXCELLENT breakfast. However, I was traveling alone, which meant I spent more time at the hotel and expected more. Here are the drawbacks:

1. No mini bar.
2. The staff disappointed me. Whenever I asked them to help me arrange a tour, they looked at me like I was slightly insane. I asked them to help me arrange a tour to Lake Sevan, which I assumed meant I would join a group of tourists on a tour bus, led by a professional tour guide. Instead, I was stuffed into an unmarked car with a lone driver who didn't speak a word of English and only broken Russian. He wasn't a tour guide by any stretch of the imagination. I think he was one of the hotel staff's cousin who just needed an extra $100. It was so awkward (I am a young, female solo traveler, and the driver was a young local, so I didn't feel entirely safe). I cut the tour off halfway through and asked him to take me back to the hotel. Major fail.
3. The WiFi wasn't reliable.

That said, the hotel bar was open 24/7 and always offered good Armenian coffee. I had a nice, spacious bathroom (although the faucets were squeaky) and air conditioning. Plus, the hotel is right in the center of town, just a stone's throw from Republic Square and across the street from a colorful outdoor market with lots of souvenirs.

All in all, though, the Tufenkian just didnt "wow" me like I expected it to. The Marriot is leaps and bounds nicer, but that's at the price of $300 a night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
TufenkianHotels, Manager at Tufenkian Historic Yerevan Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear ebagot,

Thank you very much for your review. We value guest comments and your opinion is vital for us. The issue you mentioned came to us as a surprise, since our Front Desk employees, are very well aware of whom to contact in case of tour request, since we do not provide tour services, but we work with qualified partners. We would like to inform you that we made an investigation, and would like to apologize for inconvenience. It was a misunderstanding, and we want to assure you that it will never happen again. Comfort and safety of our guests is of highest priority for us. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience and hope to host you again.

Best Regards