“Place of Azerbaijan farytale” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott Absheron Baku

JW Marriott Absheron Baku
Ranked #2 of 114 Hotels in Baku
Kiev, Ukraine
“Place of Azerbaijan farytale”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was surprised of high quality services presented to me, because I had an experience of leaving in Marriott Hotels (in Moscow) it was good but not marvelous. Thing that impressed me much was swimming pool located on 22d floor and is opened from 6 a.m. so you could enjoy the dawn while you are swimming, see the sunlight that cover old buildings and skyscrapers. Room service is perfect - you can only say somebody (from hotel's personal) about your small inconveniences and in a few minutes doorman or person that could help you would be near your door. Also impressed cuisine, mostly all dishes made from organic products. I can say that cuisine at all is more European than local. Thanks a lot to Absheron for such pleasure to discover new country and new city in a such wonderful place.

Room Tip: I can recommend sea view rooms, especially from 12th floor - you can enjoy city view all the day and...
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Martin_Kleinmann, General Manager at JW Marriott Absheron Baku, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear zaenca86,

Thank you very for the positive feeback left after your recenr stay ay our hotel. We will be looking forward to seeing you here very soon again & make your future stays much more enjoyable.

Kind regards,

JW Marriott Absheron Baku Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Billercicay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I travel to Baku between 10-20 times a year. I stay here in preference to other hotels in the city. The staff are excellent, as a regular guest they always greet me with a personal greeting and sometimes I don't go for a couple of months but they always remember me.

If I need anything they are always eager to assist.

The food is excellent if a little restricted although I think they are refurbishing one of them when I was here last. So this may have changed will let you know when I go back.

Room Tip: They're all good
      Rooms
1 Thank Glenn H
Dear Glenn H,

Thank you so much for your review. It is a great pleasure for us to have you here at our hotel each time & provide you with the high level of service.

Hope to see you very soon again.

Yours sincerely,

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The JW Marriott in Baku, Azerbaijan is one of the best hotels we have stayed at during our visits to 154 foreign countries. Fantastic staff, restaurants, and fabulous views of this wonderful city.
Fred Williams

Room Tip: Get a room facing the old town. At night the skyline has unique light shows on the area high rise b...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Martin_Kleinmann, General Manager at JW Marriott Absheron Baku, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Fred W,

Thank you for taking time and reviewing our hotel. We are pleased to learn that you thorougly enjoyed your stay & of course, we will be looking forward to having you together with us very soon.

Your sincerely,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Having traveled extensively through work around the world and stayed in many different hotel chains, this was the 1st time in a Marriott.
I could not have been more surprised and impressed; JW Marriott Absheron Baku has left me smiling and will definitely be coming back.

From arrival the concierge was super friendly, like he was excited that I had arrived! The check was smooth, quick and professional.
The room was clean, bed very comfy, a good sized & practical desk (I was there for business) & most importantly, the rain shower was super powerful.

The quality of F&B was the biggest surprise, especially the level of service which I was not expecting in Baku.
The Italian restaurant out on the decking with the stunning evening view of the Iconic flame towers was fabulous, the poached Egg & parmesan foam to start, followed by the Lamb rack which was cooked perfectly at Medium rare and came as I ordered it! I even dared to try the local Azeri wine which was very nice as well.

I was actually hoping the breakfast buffet would be bad, so it would help my diet... But to my horror it was lovely!
The local watermelon & pineapple had real flavour and the blackberries in the mini Granola pots were scrummy. I was happy and healthy with my tasty fresh fruit.
But then they had a lovely cheese, olives, smoked fish & pork cold cuts out, including Parma ham. Diet got forgotten as the chef quickly cooked me 2 perfect poached eggs which I put on top of a beautiful freshly home baked mini bagel with lashings of Italian Parma ham on top!!!

You should see the handmade pastries, cakes & individual deserts available for tea in the Zest restaurant... OMG...I am gutted I didn't try, every day I starred at them, but resisted or my personal trainer would notice too much when I got home!!!

However, feeling guilty from breakfast, I did manage to use the gym up on the top floor. WOW... this was a much better gym that anything I see in Dubai.
Full panoramic view of the city, the ocean, the flame towers etc, just amazing whilst on the treadmill. Which amazingly had a USB slot, a TV option & head phones provided with disposable covers!
Oh and a cold towel dispenser & a fresh jug of iced water with lemon...

Just over the road is the main Boulevard which is lovely to walk along, fair ground rides for kids, bars, restaurants, coffee shops & shisha lounges for me... Great to stroll along in the evening.

The best part of staying at the Marriott was definitely the level of service, every department was brilliant and made me feel like I was a special VIP.
Would I recommend it, well I am staying there when I next return for business!!!

1 Thank MrFoodieDxb
Dear StuieD,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are pleased that you had such a wonderful stay. Our team takes pride in providing quality experience to all our guests, so I will be sure to pass your thanks and kind notes along to them.

Again, thank you for taking the time and posting these positive comments, as we take guest satisfaction seriously at Marriott. We hope to see you very soon again.

Yours sincerely,

Occoquan, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 days for work-related event. Rooms were extremely well appointed and comfortable. Modern conveniences. Only complaint I had was too much world news on the TV and not enough English-speaking entertainment...but for this part of the world, understandable. Used the Executive Club for work meetings with team -- great idea and convenient. Food was excellently prepared. Staff were conscientious and most attentive. Highly recommend!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Walkintall26 ,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback. We are happy to learn that you had an enjoyable experience with us. We highly appreciate your comments regarding the TV channels & please rest assured that this is well noted and will be reviewed again with our respective team members.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Baku & our hotel very soon.

Kind regards,

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here twice recently; the Club Service was exceptional, with staff remembering one's preferences each morning; the room was EXCEPTIONALLY comfortable -- bed, pillows, chair, lighting, shower, and bath. The gym was well equipped with great views, never crowded, and the pool was Beautiful. Each room was SILENT. Discreet, gracious service completed the experience. I won't stay anywhere else in Baku.

Room Tip: West views over the city and coastline are very appealing.
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Martin_Kleinmann, General Manager at JW Marriott Absheron Baku, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear RC03 ,

It was a great pleasure having you here & thank you very much for your positive feedback.

Looking forward to greeting you once again at our hotel & keep providing you an exceptional service.

With best wishes & kind regards,

Morgan Hill, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Quite honestly, JW Marriott is the destination which happens to be in Baku. In all of our years of traveling and my husband's being in international marketing, we have never stayed at a better hotel nor one with such caring service. When we walked in our first evening, we were greeted enthusiastically by the young man at the desk and, when he saw we were Marriott Gold AND TOURISTS, he upgraded us to the 15th floor in the best corner suite facing the sea and the 3 Flames buildings. As we later told a manager at the Fairmont, our view was better than any of theirs as we faced them! They are part of the 3 Flames. The three buildings that comprise the 3 Flames are a tip of the hat to the gas industry in Azerbaijan, their resources being so prolific that flames shoot out of some of the mountains.

Our room was dazzling! We had two walls of glass out to the city. Not only was the room huge, all the amenities were first class. The towel bar was heated and the decor was modern and dramatic. The bathroom exceeded our expectations as it was like a mini-spa. We had a huge desk and nice arrangement of living room furniture. We also loved the lounge as it was all glass with views of the city and had a nice swap library we took advantage of. Food was remarkable there because the chef made a point of having different local dishes everyday.

In the executive lounge at breakfast the next morning, at least half dozen Marriott suits greeted us and welcomed us to the hotel. Even General Manager Martin Kleinman dropped in to see what tourists looked like! He explained that almost all the hotels are filled with business visitors who are in the gas or oil industry. We were the only guests on March 31 that were tourists. To give you an idea of the service, we mentioned at breakfast one morning that it was a shame that our windows were a bit dirty and, by lunch, they had been washed!

We had 4 nights at JW and each day we explored a different part of Baku. We intended to go outside the city on our last day but it rained and we were assured by staff that the petraglyph area would be muddy and unpleasant. So we took in the new modern art museum, so new that they were still hanging pictures. Our first day, we took a very inexpensive British looking purple cab to old town where the hotel recommended a local place for lunch: Tandiri. Like the Indian tandoor, the tandiri is a stone oven with a wood fire at the bottom and is used to bake sort of a flat bread like naan, but much much larger, sharing sized. The stews we ordered were perfect with the bread. The only problem we found with old town in general was that we could find no public toilets, not even in restaurants. So we walked a few blocks to the Four Seasons Hotel to use theirs. (HOT TOURIST TIP!). During the next couple of days, we took the funicular to 3 Flames, walked around at the top, and down the hill found a supermarket just opened in a 19th century mansion, and, in addition, enjoyed several museums, both in old town and out. the supermarket had high ceilings with huge chandeliers and stained glass windows. In the wine cellar is a stuffed lion! My husband had to have his photo next to him. All sorts of fine foods were available. Baku is famous for its shops, as well. All the international stores you would find on 5th Avenue are also in Baku.

However, just being in the JW was treat enough. Service at every location in the hotel exceeded any we had experienced before. In addition, the people are wonderfully cheerful and fun to be around. The concierge was immensely helpful both in his recommendations and in making sure the cab drivers did not take advantage.

If you want an idea of what to expect in Baku, look at page 85 in the current August/September issue of AFAR magazine. Their article headed "Blown Away by Baku" is a tongue in cheek reference to the ubiquitous wind in Baku. For a vacation, I would go in May instead of April. It was still fairly cold when we arrived. The prime minister and president are intent on putting Azerbaijan on the map with fabulous new buildings and museums and one of them is featured in AFAR. The second tallest flagpole in the world is in Baku. European games are coming to Baku next year and the government wants to see 25 more hotels built by then! What you will not see in Baku is head scarves on the women, Azerbaijan has been described as militantly secular, a huge contrast to Iran, our next stop.

I cannot recommend the JW Marriott more highly. Your visit to Baku will be greatly enhanced by your stay there. Poor Mr. Kleinman must think that I was held captive in Iran since I promised to write here how much we loved his hotel. I don't want to disappoint a manager who treated us to a very late checkout AND, at the end, to a limo ride to the airport!! I am only sorry I did not get a double entry visa. We missed the JW Marriott the second we walked out the door!

PS Visa advice for tourists: Do not use the local folks who supposedly can get you a cheaper visa. Their fees are huge and rival the government's fee of $160 anyway. Some people on this site have reported being stiffed by these locals. Ignore all the puzzling and conflicting info on the internet and CALL Nahid in the Los Angeles consulate. He was totally reliable and I recommend you put yourself in his hands. The embassy is not doing visas anymore.

Room Tip: Beg for a corner suite facing the sea and 3 Flames. The room is all glass with amazing views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank 7continentKaren
Martin_Kleinmann, General Manager at JW Marriott Absheron Baku, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear 7continentKaren,

It was great pleasure for me to meet you & i would like to thank you for these positive comments which are describing not only our hotel but also your whole visit to Baku & your advice which will be very useful for the future travellers as well.

I am very happy to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and, of course, it will be a great pleasure for me and our team to welcome you back at our hotel once you are going to travel to sunny Baku.

Best wishes & kind regards,