“Needs some Improvements!”

Ranked #76 of 112 Hotels in Baku
Netherlands
“Needs some Improvements!”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I stayed in this hotel in October 2012 for 2 nights.

This hotel is located in the ISR Plaza (14th-17th floor), very close to the center of Baku. Upon arriving, after a long flight, we get into the lobby of the ISR building. It was already late in the evening, so there were very few people in the lobby and they did not speak English so they could not direct us to the reception. There is no sign in the lobby, directing us to the reception, so we went into the elevator. To our surprise, there was also no sign in the elevator! We tried the 15th floor; no luck. Then we went down again, tried -1; again no luck. We went back to 1, and another guest came into the elevator and informed us that the reception is on the 17th floor.
When checking in, I told the lady that we had difficulty finding the reception. She insisted that there is a sign. SInce it was late in the evening, I didn't want to argue, and assumed that she was correct. Regardless, the next day, I checked and there is indeed a sign. Please see the pictures; it's a few centimers high.....

The room is spacious (a suite), which is convenient but not necessary. Internet is free, which I like.

I was not very impressed with the breakfast. For EUR 16 I have seen much better. It's a small buffet, and you have to order extra's. However, the staff in the restaurant is not very fluent in English. It took me quite some effort to get cream, sugar and a spoon for my coffee so go figure if you want something complicated for breakfast...

Check-out took quite some time (I was the only one checking out at that time), apparantly because not all computer systems are tied to the credtit card payment system.

It is easy to find good restaurants at walking distance.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank NLKorp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

This Would have been a really nice hotel if not for...
1. Non functional swimming pool
2. Inadequate and non functional gym equipment
3. One of the the worst breakfasts i ever had in a hotel. Lack of variety. I was there for 2 nights and that was the only meal i had there.
4. No bell hop, only one person at the reception on the 17th floor.
On the positive side, great location as it is right within the beautiful city center, nicely furnished and spacious rooms, clean bed linen, complementary bottled water, and bathroom essentials.
I would stay there again though...

• Stayed August 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I am Carlson Club member and tried few different Radisson Blu (SAS) hotels; Here under I am going to write my shocking experience at this so called hotel !

1- Don’t look at the pictures you will see! It is the hotel! It is simply a business tower with loads of offices, etc and Radisson Blu only have last three top floors of this tower!
2- I requested Airport pickup, I was picked up by a private driver or private taxi, that driver could not speak a single word of English!!
3- There is no lobby, this is not a HOTEL!!!! No valet service or anyone to receive the guests once they arrive !!
4- What is so called lobby is at 17th floor so you have to manage your stuff to the 17th floor by your self and from there to your room!
5- There is not such things called receipt again! There is only one person works there at the time who attends all calls, check-ins, everything!
6- Corridors are stink!! It is very unpleasant smell! Don’t know what is that !
7- You were told you are booked into so called suit ! but it is very old, old, old (appear to me USSR time furniture)!
8- Living room sofas are dirty ! Honestly dirty! I did not sit on them; you could see dirt and marks on them!
9- Carpets are brownish old, dirty!
10- A/C !! you have to sent them on minimum temperature with highest speed so get some fresh air! And they are noisy! Sounds like you are making popcorn in a microwave! Believe me! I did not sleep for first two night till I decided to turn them off!
11- I believe A/C filters are not cleaned or maintenance properly so I had allergy and sneezing to death! But I was fine anywhere else !!
12- Hot water? You must be joking! Water pressure it up and down so you start with cold water then turn to warm so you think it is ok now but after few sec. pressure drops and turn to cold again!
13- This is in addition to the water shut down I had on last night there for around 3 hours without notice!!
14- Bed sheets are overused and old same as towels and are very rough and scratching your skin!
15- You will have room service staff walking to your room everyday twice one at 8-8:30 AM and another one at 5 PM!
16- Mini-bar! They only put water everyday if you eat / drink anything from mini-bar, they don’t refill the mini bar!
17- Breakfast; I promise you could get much better breakfast at 2 star hotel or anywhere else!
18- Staffs working at restaurant are ignorant; they don’t listen or look at you when you call them!

Simply this is not Radisson hotel! It is simply kind of serviced suits, nowhere near any local / international hotel standard!

Honestly this is not place to stay in Baku! You will feel regret ! it is just bad! Terribly bad ! ☹

Room Tip: Simply do not stay here !!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank HesamSaroukhani

Travellers are raving about these Baku hotels

Strasbourg
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Good points: great location, good-sized suite, fairly modern, not too shabby, clean, comfortable, free wifi, free bottles of water in the room (absolutely essential during the summer), polite staff, amazing views

Bad points: lobby located on the 17th floor of the office block with not much signage outside - make sure you get into the right lifts (at the end of the block of lifts), the pool and spa was under renovation during my stay, electronic card kept on de-activating so I had to get it reactivated almost every time I wanted to get into my room which involved a trek to the lobby

Other points: the breakfast wasn't included in my room rate so I didn't have it, although after reading the comments of other travellers I'm glad I didn't!

The hotel has a taxi service who can pick you up and drop you off but it is pricey.

Went to the restaurant for lunch (business buffet lunch) once - it was OK - there are better places to eat in the city.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Stepballchange
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just returned from a week at this hotel. I have to begin by saying that you cannot get a better located hotel in Baku. You are directly on Fountains Square which is the true heart of the city, with wonderful restaurants and bars on your doorstep, whilst being within a 10 min walk from most of the tourist areas.

The room was great. The hotel is described as all-suite, and our room had a seperate living room with a small kitchenette (i.e. a sink, fridge, kettle).

Arriving at the hotel is quite strange. The hotel is on the top floors of a office block (which I was aware of), but there is very little branding on the ground floor and no indication as to what floor the reception is on, just that the hotel occupies floors 14-17 (it is on the 17th floor btw).

Upon check-in, I enquired about breakfast, because although the room description on the Radisson Blu website has "Super Breakfast Buffet" listed under the "Key Features" of our room, the moment I began the booking process, there was no mention made of breakfast. The check-in clerk said breakfast was included. We tried this Super Breakfast Buffet on the first morning only to find there was nothing Super about it, in fact it was one of the worst breakfasts we have ever had at one of the main business chain hotels. We decided to get breakfast ingredients from the local market to keep in our room instead. We only had their breakfast one more time during our weeks stay on a morning with a early start. Upon checkout we were charged for those 2 breakfasts (16 Manats per person per breakfast, which is more expensive than your average main course at a restaurant in Baku). When we told the clerk that we were told breakfast was included said according to his system it wasn't and had the attitude of "it's not my problem and I can't do anything about it". Unfortunately we were checking out at 6am and there was no manager on duty.

It really is a shame that we left the hotel on such a sour note, as we did actually enjoy our stay up to that point. There may not be many facilities at the hotel, but the location really does make up for that.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sstolp
London, England
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

Just back fro Eurovision which probably means I wasn't seeing 'normal' Baku. The sea view suites have stunning views of the city and you are very well located if you are tourist for the old city shops and bars.
I like the fact that it sits on the top of an office block and feels like an oil business hotel which puts it in context for the location
The rooms are huge and comfortable. Reception staff are very friendly, the breakfast room deserted but you are on top of the world.

• Stayed May 2012
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Didnt stay just went to the restaurant on the 17th floor. Great views but food adequate. It was Eurovision night though so prehaps they were exceptionally busy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends