“Failed to do immigration registration - cost me a 280 Euro fine...”
Review of Old City Inn

Old City Inn
Old City Inn
Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Baku
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights recently. I arrived on my 3rd day in Azerbaijan, and I asked them to register me with the immigration authorities, which they agreed to do. This is hotel well used to taking tourists, so I thought this would be within their capabilities (registration is a legal requirement in Azerbaijan).

On trying to leave the country a week later there was a problem. The hotel had not registered me as they said they had done. On returning to the hotel to discuss the problem (my boat sailed without me so I had time to investigate), they could not have been less helpful, passing me endlessly between ringing phones.

Unbelievably the hotel changed ownership during my stay. I spent the first 2 nights under one owner, and the 3rd under another. They both made themselves as difficult to contact as possible, and blamed each other for my problem. If anyone responds to this review it will be the new management blaming the old management. I paid for my stay in cash, to the new management, so this position is unacceptable.

My 3 nights cost me 120 Manat in total. Plus the 300 Manat fine. Plus my forfeited boat ticket to Kazakhstan at $110. Plus 24 hours of stress, an additional night in another hotel, and the cost of booking last-minute flights out of the country. This hotel is completely untrustworthy, and if you want to avoid immigration issues, large fines, delays to your onward travel, and the cost of booking last-minute replacement flights, I suggest you find an alternative place to stay in Baku.

There are plenty of options - there is a huge overcapacity of hotel rooms in that city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank RollingEast

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Old City Inn for four nights in Baku. It is a well located hotel, in the inner old city, very close to the Saber statue. It has a sactisfactory wifi. Staff is nice, even not knowing a lot of English. The bad side? The breakfast is poor, served in the fourth or fifth floor, and the only access is through stairs.There was also a spider in the restroom, but it did not bother me anyway...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank andrebcm
Reviewed 31 January 2013

It has been awhile but one should say something about this little unit and what it brings to the Old City in Baku. Right in the Old Town. Friendly. Clean. Helpful. If you are in Baku especially to explore the Old Town this place will be a great choice. It apparently is a training hotel for the University. So what. It is great to be part of the growing hospitality industry of Baku and as a traveler you bring experience to the staff so everyone benefits. I like it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bentley1Seattle
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Stayed for one night and came as walk-in because the hotel what I reserved “lost” my reservation. I got welcomed by a friendly receptionist who escorted me to the room. It looks like that this is a standard in small hotels in Baku. Give a nice personal touch. The room was clean but without any view. The bathroom is a bit old and could do with some touch-ups and renovation. Heating in the rooms does not exist as we are used to it in Europe but the solution is simple – a heating lamp is there. So problem solved. The breakfast is very simple but if you are not a breakfast freak; it’s fine. The restaurant for breakfast is located on the 4th floor and the view – great. You are overlooking the old part of the town. The team members are friendly but don’t expect too much English. Keep the questions simple. I am sure there are better places there but I recommend it for a short trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank exploreandtravel76
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This small, family owned hotel is located inside the Old City fortress, in the very quiet, narrow street. The small market where on can buy some water or food is just next to the hotel. The location is perfect for leisure stay in Baku. Just few minutes to all places worth to visit in the Inner City. Our room was on 1st floor. It was very spacious, bright and well appointed (TV, fridge, free WiFi acces). The bathroom was OK, however a little out of date. Cleaning every day. They offer also each day complimentary water (2 bottels), coffee and tea in the room. The staff were very polite and friendly; they speak Russian and English as well. The simple breakfast (included in the room price) was served on the roof restaurant with amazing view of the city.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank CracowDanang
Reviewed 3 October 2010

This is a hard review to write - part of me wants to give it two stars, but in the end, I have settled for three. We booked this hotel knowing it was a training hotel, so we went there knowing that we might need to be patient on a few things. The pluses? The hotel was in a fantastic location in the old city. The rooms were clean and modern. The AC worked. The price was very reasonable in an expensive city. The negatives? Well, the young guy working at the desk (the only guy we saw there except for one of the days) spoke abysmal English and could not understand the most basic of requests, including "toilet not working. No flush" We later found out he is an English tutor - which is a bit troubling, but none of our business I suppose. The plumbing - as previously mentioned - was problematic. The toilet made an unimaginably loud "roar" deep somewhere in the pipes, about 2 minutes after flushing, and completely gave up the ghost 2 days into our stay, forcing us to use the tiny closet sized toilet on the first floor until we were able to figure out how to fix the chain inside the tank on our own. The breakfast was unacceptable - completely. We ended up going to one of the cheap and delicious Turkish bakeries for breakfast, because the hotel served yogurt - left out in the August heat and thus curdled - and a plate of ham and processed cheese (the kind wrapped in plastic) covered in flies - there was only bread on one of our 4 mornings. The two women working there (why it took two women to put out processed meats and cheese, I have no idea) greeted us with stares before going to get a pot of water and two tea bags. Terrible, terrible breakfast. Lastly, when we asked them to call a cab for my early morning flight to Paris, the guy at the desk who did speak English called his friend up to come and take me. He was on time, but informed me that he had almost "forgotten" which made me think that I would have been in deep trouble had he indeed forgotten, as it was 4:00 in the morning. I was a bit annoyed at first, because I was not leaving with my husband, who ended up coming with us to the airport, as I did not feel comfortable as a female getting a ride from an unofficial taxi. In the end it worked out because my husband was able to strike up a great deal with this guy on the way back to the hotel - taking him out to the Abseron peninsula, etc. for way less that most taxi companies would ask - and he turned out to be a pretty nice guy. But I still found it odd that a hotel would not call a proper taxi when you request it.

All in all, I guess I went with a three because the AC worked and I got a couple of really good sleeps in the hotel - not to mention its choice location in the old city. But when others say you need a sense of humour, that's an understatement. We've stayed at everything from yurts, to hostels, to college dorms to 5 star hotels, so this was right in the middle. But if you are not so adventurous in your hotel choices, try another hotel. This is fine for people who don't expect much other than a clean and comfortable place to sleep at night. So with that in mind, I would recommend it to a friend on the basis that a friend would probably have the same approach to travel as we do. To a stranger? No, I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ug97
Reviewed 5 October 2009

The Old City Inn is a nice place to stay in Baku. You have to be aware, that this is a training hotel of the university. So sometimes, things are not working perfectly. But with a good sense of humor, everything can be solved and the "staff" is very motivated. One morning we helped with the breakfast, but that definatelly was an exception. The quality of breakfast was quite poor anyway. We also had to remind staff to bring more toilet paper. But apart from that, it was really a nice stay in a centrally located hotel, from which you can reach al places of interest in walking distance. The internet connection was also ok.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business