“A nice place with a great view if you get high up room.”
Review of Old City Inn

Old City Inn
Old City Inn
Ranked #66 of 116 Hotels in Baku
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I arrived late and the man who checked me in was as helpful as possible with me not speaking his language and he having some English. my first room in a sort of annex (rooms 1-5) was too warm, with pitiful aircon and no WiFi. The next day a very helpful young woman moved me to room 12 which is lovely. Great views of the city and just below the top floor cafe where breakfast is served. Breakfast is nice enough (bread cheese etc, though coffee is abysmal, it's instant so bring your own!). Some confusion around registration but this turned out to be the fault of Immigration department, so if like me you leave before you registration is confirmed, GET A COPY of the email receipt from the hotel advising that it has been at least submitted. Overall a good price in a very overpriced city.

Room Tip: Don't take a room in the annex 1-5 if you can avoid it!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I was not impressed by this hotel. It is not expensive but is not worth more. It is a training centre and I do recognize this, but there should more supervision of the trainees. The language abilities of most of the staff I interacted with are very limited in both Russian and English, which is a bit of a problem. My room was fairly small and the bathroom was far from impeccably clean. The breakfast is OK and so are the AC and the wifi. During my stay of four nights (on business), there was a wild group of middle-aged tourists from a certain Mediterranean country that were extremely noisy and disruptive, screaming to each other from room to room. Of course the location is great (in the old city, with many bars and restaurants around, plus the citadel and all the attraction of the old city, while close to taxi stations and the metro), but this is not enough in my view. I don't recommend for business travelers, could perhaps be fine for backpackers and tourists.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Frederic G
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights recently. I arrived on my 3rd day in Azerbaijan, and I asked them to register me with the immigration authorities, which they agreed to do. This is hotel well used to taking tourists, so I thought this would be within their capabilities (registration is a legal requirement in Azerbaijan).

On trying to leave the country a week later there was a problem. The hotel had not registered me as they said they had done. On returning to the hotel to discuss the problem (my boat sailed without me so I had time to investigate), they could not have been less helpful, passing me endlessly between ringing phones.

Unbelievably the hotel changed ownership during my stay. I spent the first 2 nights under one owner, and the 3rd under another. They both made themselves as difficult to contact as possible, and blamed each other for my problem. If anyone responds to this review it will be the new management blaming the old management. I paid for my stay in cash, to the new management, so this position is unacceptable.

My 3 nights cost me 120 Manat in total. Plus the 300 Manat fine. Plus my forfeited boat ticket to Kazakhstan at $110. Plus 24 hours of stress, an additional night in another hotel, and the cost of booking last-minute flights out of the country. This hotel is completely untrustworthy, and if you want to avoid immigration issues, large fines, delays to your onward travel, and the cost of booking last-minute replacement flights, I suggest you find an alternative place to stay in Baku.

There are plenty of options - there is a huge overcapacity of hotel rooms in that city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank RollingEast
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Old City Inn for four nights in Baku. It is a well located hotel, in the inner old city, very close to the Saber statue. It has a sactisfactory wifi. Staff is nice, even not knowing a lot of English. The bad side? The breakfast is poor, served in the fourth or fifth floor, and the only access is through stairs.There was also a spider in the restroom, but it did not bother me anyway...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank andrebcm
Reviewed 31 January 2013

It has been awhile but one should say something about this little unit and what it brings to the Old City in Baku. Right in the Old Town. Friendly. Clean. Helpful. If you are in Baku especially to explore the Old Town this place will be a great choice. It apparently is a training hotel for the University. So what. It is great to be part of the growing hospitality industry of Baku and as a traveler you bring experience to the staff so everyone benefits. I like it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bentley1Seattle
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Stayed for one night and came as walk-in because the hotel what I reserved “lost” my reservation. I got welcomed by a friendly receptionist who escorted me to the room. It looks like that this is a standard in small hotels in Baku. Give a nice personal touch. The room was clean but without any view. The bathroom is a bit old and could do with some touch-ups and renovation. Heating in the rooms does not exist as we are used to it in Europe but the solution is simple – a heating lamp is there. So problem solved. The breakfast is very simple but if you are not a breakfast freak; it’s fine. The restaurant for breakfast is located on the 4th floor and the view – great. You are overlooking the old part of the town. The team members are friendly but don’t expect too much English. Keep the questions simple. I am sure there are better places there but I recommend it for a short trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank exploreandtravel76
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This small, family owned hotel is located inside the Old City fortress, in the very quiet, narrow street. The small market where on can buy some water or food is just next to the hotel. The location is perfect for leisure stay in Baku. Just few minutes to all places worth to visit in the Inner City. Our room was on 1st floor. It was very spacious, bright and well appointed (TV, fridge, free WiFi acces). The bathroom was OK, however a little out of date. Cleaning every day. They offer also each day complimentary water (2 bottels), coffee and tea in the room. The staff were very polite and friendly; they speak Russian and English as well. The simple breakfast (included in the room price) was served on the roof restaurant with amazing view of the city.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends