“Hotel de Crystal Crown”

Hotel de Crystal Crown
Ranked #51 of 83 Hotels in Dhaka City
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We visited Dhaka last year and booked at the Hotel de Crystal Crown which was recommended to us because of proximity, quality of food, and reasonable price. The accommodation was perhaps 3 stars, but much more affordable than the western hotels in Dhaka which are extremely expensive. Accommodation included breakfast, the room was adequate, staff were courteous and attentive, and the dinner menu was limited but delicious. Mosquitoes were a problem, as there are lakes surrounding the area and staff came into the room each night to spray it with mosquito killer, which was rather noxious.

Each morning a cleaning man serviced the room, washing the tiled floors on his hands and knees. On speaking with him, I learned that he and his family lived in the stilt houses I saw perched over a black, smelly lake and he gets there in a small boat which is paddled by one of the locals and carried about 10 people at a time. I tipped him about 100 Taka a day (little more than $1) and he was very grateful as it was approximately half of his daily wage.

For more information about Dhaka, see http://airlinesairportsandcities.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/dhaka-bangladesh.html

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 February 2013

We stayed here for a week with our 2 year-old daughter. The rooms are quite spacious, clean with comfortable beds, cable TV. The restaurant downstairs provided very good food, though the service was not good. As a business hotel they didn't understand child needs (though they were very friendly to our daughter). Housekeeping was great and bedding changed when needed. The staff were friendly and did their best to help us. Some rooms were rather noisy due to thin walls.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Katherine C
Reviewed 25 January 2013

This hotel is in a pretty good location for getting out and about in Dhaka and is reasonably quiet, being as it is set on a side street (except for barking dogs).

The rooms are adequate. The air con in mine didn't appear to work, but I'm not a fan of it anyway, so i made do with the ceiling fan which seemed to go from hair-tousling breeze to ceiling-shaking, noise-inducing, gale-force turbo-rotate with the slightest of adjustments!

The room and bathroom were adequately clean and comfortable. There is internet access in a computer room on the second floor. Regular power failures, although this is pretty standard in Dhaka.

There are nearby restaurants which I would suggest using as the hotel restaurant isnt up to much. We dined as a group of 8. By the time the food was served, it was luke warm at best.

Breakfast is basic but accpetable. Although they should perhaps invest in a new toaster as you wait an inordinate length of time for bread that is merely crisped not toasted, as such.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Dhaka is not a tourist paradise, but some of the hotels are very expensive. This hotel provides an interesting breakfast, internet service and rooms with air conditioning at a very reasonable rate. On a quiet street only 3 blocks from one of the major roads. The gym is ill equipped but does function. Never saw the personal trainer they mention for their world class gym.

Room Tip: Upstairs seem to be best. I stayed twice and 503 was the better of the rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Although this hotel was in a safe area and was clean, it was not as described in the website. The furniture was old, the bathroom was also old and of a poor standard. I had to change rooms for my second night because the air conditioner was so old it sounded like a jack hammer and kept me awake. I turned it off and tried the fan but it only had two speeds, very fast and take off. It was also loud and I found the best thing to do was to suffer the heat and open the window. The room also smelt mouldy. After complaining to the night manager at 2.30am, I was moved to another room the following day. This was not much better but it did not smell as mouldy and had a better air conditioner. They also charge for water from the mini bar.

I wondered whey there was no one else in the restaurant on my first night, I soon found out that it was because the food was of the same quality as the rooms, poor.
The breakfast was rubbish and I found myself only having boiled eggs, toast and coffee for the 4 days I was there.

This was the second time I have travelled to Dhaka and if there is a third, I would not stay in this hotel. I certainly would not recommend it to anyone. Avoid it.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the front of the hotel are better than the ones at the back.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank firstname l
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is not a bad hotel. Situated roughly between Gulshan 1 and 2 it's reasonably close to some good places to eat. The photos on the website were cleary taken some time ago and the hotel is now not quite as portrayed. Good for one or two nights perhaps but not anything longer. I found it was clean and comfortable but like other reviewers I too found it a bit noisy, barking dogs, aircon and generators made me reach for the ear plugs on both of the two nights I stayed. Staff were polite and the breakfast basic but acceptable. I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank silvervoyager
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Excellent, Very Excellent Hotel In the Dhaka City. I feel there very comfortable

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business