“Excellent excursion!!!”

and up
2-Day Shipbreaking Yard Tour from Dhaka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We operate day tours in different cities along with a trip to some offbeat locations in Bangladesh. We have experiential, educational and volunteering activity based program in partnership with local NGOs. The tours are composed of local guide along with experienced one, activities, harmony living arrangements, local foods and community engagements to make it a tour of a lifetime...
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed 8 February 2017

Sajjat (my guide) came to the hotel to start our tour of 3 days.
When he found out I saw most of Dakha the day before by rickshaw he immediately changed his plans and showed me a local fair instead.

He had asked me upfront what my interest where and what food I could not eat.
With that information he formed the travel plan accordingly.
I ate at places I would never try on my own and he made sure I had a good meal and enjoyed the surroundings.

Sajjat is an amazing guide and if you book with his company I hope he will the one to show you around.

As a single female traveller I found it hard to travel on my own in Bangladesh and had great support in Sajjat. He even found me the best toilet he could in small villages.

I had doubts about going to Bangladesh on my own and this was the absolute best way to travel for me.

1  Thank PetraOomen
Sajjat, Owner at Deshghuri - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2017

This is an absolute honor for us to get such a compliment. We always try our best to deliver what Bangladesh has to offer. This is (the) YOU as guest who dears to try the taste of Bengal; it's culture, nature and food. All credit goes to YOU.

Thank you and hope you will visit again to explore more.

All reviews
"arrangements"
"country"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

We were eager for a behind-the-scenes glimpse into the mysterious world of ship-breaking in Bangladesh, and the reality was pretty awe-inspiring.
Our guide Sajjat picked us up from the hotel and took us to a village near the strip of shipyards along the coast.
In an old lifeboat (naturally), we headed out into the Bay of Bengal, navigating dozens of 50-year-old tankers and container ships at the end of their commissions - some already being stripped down and taken apart, others still afloat and awaiting their turn.
It was a majestic sight - an elephants' graveyard of the waves.
After heading to a nearby local eatery for late lunch, Sajjat then took us into the yard itself.
Once inside, whenever another hunk of ship was cut away by the multitude of workers and heavy-duty machinery, it came crashing down with a fearsome thud and the earth shook.
Piles of carefully collected materials stretched out across the yard - evidence of the months-long process where everything inside a ship gets stripped, removed, broken up or separated for repurposing.
It was dusk by now, and we caught a glimpse of this deconstruction process illuminated by blowtorch light.
We learned how the yards bid for the ships, and how the iron and steel is sent for melting down then used in construction across this developing country.
In roadside stores all the way to Chittagong, we saw the incredible array of sub-industries that sprung up from recycling these hulking old vessels - shops specialising in timber, cabling, copper, insulation, generators, furniture or one of hundreds more types of fixtures and fittings.
The curio stores were a particular highlight, selling everything from barometers and searchlights to ship steering wheels and portholes.
Sajjat was a fantastic guide, answering all our questions and arranging every aspect of the day.
A unique experience, up there with the most memorable travel experiences we've ever had.

1  Thank Lee W
Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

Where to start. This company and tour guide, Sajjat, were amazing. Very knowledgable and made my experience first class. They collected me on time and in a nice vehicle. Even brought snacks and drinks for me.

Sonargaon is an incredible place to visit. Sajjat and his driver took me to every spot possible. The tour ended up lasting 10.5hrs because they said they would continue showing me more things if I wanted to see them (which I did).

The boat trip over to the island to meet the local village people was awesome. Lunch was in a good restaurant.

Panam City was one of the highlights and I ended up being lucky enough to meet the British High Commissioner who was visiting there also.

I also met the most famous movie director for the country at a site where he had built a replica of the Taj Mahal.

I really cannot speak highly enough of this company. I had booked another tour (Old Dhaka City tour) with the company Trip2Bangladesh and they were appalling. The company and guide were so bad that I ended the tour early. The guide could barely speak or understand English. I wished I had used Deshghuri instead.

Only use Deshghuri when touring Bangladesh - you won't be disappointed. I wasn't :-)

Sajjat, Owner at Deshghuri - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2016

Thank you for your review and it has been a neat accolade for us. The people we meet during our tour was a real coincidence that made it more special. We hope you will visit Bangladesh again with friends and kin.

Reviewed 4 October 2016

The fellows at Deshghuri tours are not the most professional or prepared but they both speak English very well and keen to meet tourist and show them around their city and country.

1  Thank Jacub12345
sajjat, Owner at Deshghuri - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2016

Dear Sir,
Thank you for review. We consider each and every feedback to improve our services and you feedback will be considered with highest priority.

As your traveled during 5 days long Eid Vacation, most of the tourist places in Dhaka and Panam city was Massively over crowded and most of the queues were near about 100m long. Due to long nation wide vacation all the proffered restaurant, food shop were closed along with a number of place of attractions. This type of situation occurs only twice a year during Eid festival. This is not an excuse but to let you know for some uncontrollable situation we might not have delivered the service to the excellence we try to maintain.

We appropriate your honest feedback and offer you a Full Free Tour around Dhaka in your next visit and hope to deliver you the best service in future. Thanks and regards.

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

We just got back from our first visit to Dhaka. A friend had booked us a tour to see the old capital of Dhaka. Our guide and driver Sajjat was very hospitable and knowledgeable. We were quite tired so he accommodated us to our needs. I would highly recommend his company for your travel needs in Bangladesh.

3  Thank MrsSimbaonsafari
sajjat, Owner at Deshghuri - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016

You review is so special and inspiring for us when we found it is a review from an explorer who traveled almost 100 countries and given us such a positive feedback. We try our best to accommodate traveler's expectation as much as our country has to offer.

We would like to thank you and your friends for choosing deshghuri as your travel companion. Hope to see you again in long trip to Bangladesh. Regards.