“simple tour by water taxi”

Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is one thing I really wanted to see during my 2 day stopover in Brunei. Established that the best time to visit was a couple of hours before sunset and so found myself on the docks about that time where I simply hired a water taxi (cost B$30 and I paid the driver an extra B$20 to stay on a bit longer (ended up around 2 hours) - this compared to around B$95 if I had booked thru hotel). I found grabbing a water taxi to do quick tours cheap and easy. After a boating about 15 min upriver, my driver (who spoke excellent English and had obviously done this trip many times as he was very knowledgeable) found 3 different troupes (about 20 monkeys in all) during our trip. We parked the boat at one location beside an artificial canal where I could stand/walk around a bit on land and get good sightings/photos - other locations were in the midst of the mangroves. Because I was not with a group I did not have to scramble over people to see the monkeys and on return I simply walked into town for dinner and to watch the sunset over the water villages.

4  Thank rjsFootscrayWest
There are newer reviews for Brunei Proboscis Monkey River Safari

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We were with friends at the waterfront and were very nicely approached by Wann, who co-owns a boat and tour company with her husband Mark. She had credentials to show us that she is trained and certified (by the Brunei Tourism Board, I believe), and we agreed on a reasonable price of BD40 for six of us to go on a 1-hour tour to see the water village and proboscis monkeys. They are both wonderful people, friendly and incredibly knowledgeable. Also, their boat is very clean and in good order, and Mark is an expert driver. We toured the waterfront and headed up a part of the river leading to beautiful mangroves and wildlife. Along the way Wann gave us the history, and later Mark pointed out the wildlife. We saw a proboscis monkey, amazing birds, a baby crocodile, and more. Mark also brought along some baby mangrove trees and had the kids each plant one on a part of the river bank that had been modified due to flooding. We ventured back to the water village and spent about a half-hour visiting the Kampong Ayer Cultural Center, which is a small but nice museum with artifacts and examples of Brunein crafts. The tour lasted almost two hours so I gladly paid them a bit more than the negotiated price. Highly recommended.

1  Thank skgbos
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We tried to book a mangrove tour through our hotel but the hotel rep kept telling us "He is only doing the National Park." So, we simply walked down to one of the jetties, hearing several men yell out to us to get us to take their boats. Once we got closer to the jetty in front of the mall, we chose a man who had a wide smile and great warmth in his body language. His name is Azmi and he was born in the water village. His boat is named Chelsea as that is his favorite football team. We negotiated B$30.00 for the time it would take to get to the mangrove channels where the monkeys play and eat. I asked him to go slowly so we could take better photos, and, also because I get dizzy on speeding boats. He navigated his boat through the water village, taking us to see his home and his neighbors, explaining the water and sewer connections, pointing out mud swallows' nests under the bridge, stopping in front of the mosques seen from the town and the eight mosques in the water village, the primary and secondary schools, and the fire department. The journey was wonderful. He maneuvered the boat in and out of the narrow mangrove channels and in each one we entered we were able to observe different families of proboscis monkeys! Fantastic! Very large daddy and medium mommy and lots of babies and "teens." We were able to get great photos. Their tails are long and almost white, and, of course, their noses are long and peculiar. They are so ugly, they are cute! When we left these channels, he moved the boat to be closer to the opposite side of the bank where we saw more proboscis just sitting comfy in notches of the trees. I excitedly shrieked " look at it!" and the scared critter swung put of sight. Hard to restrain my enthusiasm seeing these creatures animated in their own environment. Azmi was knowledgeable because this is his home. I advise finding him on the riverside by the jetties and taking his boat for this tour. Please do not try to negotiate too hard on the fee. This is the man's livelihood and these men usually have large families to support. Also, remember that monkeys are active in the early morning and after 5pm when the sun is no longer hot. We saw at least two dozen by going at this time. Be sure to get into the side mangrove channels as that is where the families of monkeys are most active.

3  Thank Marie M
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I had heard about this trip since arriving in Brunei but have been putting it off. After 6 months I decided to go after a colleague said he had found a boatman who only charged 30 BND; about £15. I arranged the trip for 4pm so it would be finished before it was dark to avoid the mosquitos. We were out for 2 hours so well worth the money. The bloke piloted and the woman gave the commentary. The bloke was eagle eyed, spotted everything...monkeys, monitor lizards, flying foxes, herons, tree snakes. His boat looked big enough for 6/8 people. It had a canopy and lifejackets. I have the woman's mobile number if anyone needs it. I did everything by text.

3  Thank noseygeorge
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Went down to the river jetty flagged a local water taxi and went on a 1-2 hour trip up the river. Saw loads of monkeys crocodiles kingfishers lizards and egrit. Driver then took us to his house in water village and finally market. A great early morning trip paid $40 Bnd

3  Thank simonc504