“Good hotel at a good price !”

London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel at a good price !”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have booked the hotel based on the TripAdvisor opinions and on the location.
Having been there 2 nights I can address the points made by lots of other travellers:
- it is not a luxurious hotel, if you want luxury then you book into the Empire Hotel & Country Club for at least 5-6 times night rate.
-the hotel provides a very clean, comfortable room with everything you need in it. I have slept very well, better than in some more expensive hotels I have been afterwards in the same holiday
- the staff is just OUTSTANDING ! and attends to your every need: food wise, excursions, lifts to various events etc, etc, etc and HERE is where they get the points on TripAdvisor. Well done to them for their hospitality, warmth and care!
- I have found the breakfast appropriate, in particular the traditional Bruneian dishes. Had a nice coffee, juices, cereals etc It isn't a 5*, it provides a breakfast.
- there is a complimentary shuttle ride to the airport, yes the driver was not there ( maybe they can improve on that) but it took them about 10-15 min to reach there. Use the nice Costa Coffee shop upstairs to refill until he comes.
Overall a good experience at a good price. Thank you for your hospitality ! I will be back one day !

Room Tip: They all seem good.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rodica N
Capital R, Guest Relations Manager at The Capital Residence Suites, responded to this review, 3 November 2014
Dear Rodica N,

Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback on your recent stay with us at the Capital Residence Suites. We truly appreciate the feedback so that it will only motivate to strive for bringing top quality service to all our guests.

The staff would be happy to hear that they have achieved part of their task as employees of the Capital Residence Suites and with your feedback we will continue to strive to provide our guests with a memorable stay in Brunei.

We are currently revising our breakfast options to accommodate more choices in terms of dietary restrictions and we appreciate your comment on this.

In regards to our airport shuttle service, we truly apologize for the lateness of the airport transfer service. Thank you for this feedback and we will ensure that in the future, our shuttle service will be more accurate in their timing. On behalf of the General Manager and all the staff at The Capital Residence Suites,we would like to thank you for your stay and we hope to welcome you again to Brunei Darussalam in the future.

Yours Truly,

Brunei Darussalam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 19 August 2014

5 minutes walk from the better known Radisson, the Capital Residence Suites are known to few in Brunei. Luckily this is one of the only hotels that offers free airport pick up and delivery (USD50 saving round trip).

This was an old hostel but was refurbished in to a hotel relatively recently. Stay here if you want a clean room, an excellent bed (Egyptian cotton sheets, wonderful pillows/mattress), a reasonably well equipped room (coffee machine, very good wifi, etc) and a good shower. Don't stay here if you want some a glossy lobby, want to hang out in the coffee shop or by the pool (there aren't any of these).

The standard rooms are small but adequate. Was upgraded to a large room on the second night which is huge (has a kitchenette, lounge, etc).

Arrived late at night and the front desk person didn't speak very good English but made up for it in wanting to help. The people at the front desk during the day and the manager speak perfect English and can't do enough to make your stay enjoyable.

Breakfast is nothing exciting but I think I missed out as I arrived before they started.

Taxis are not easily available in Brunei and I called in advance and they arranged a (very reasonably priced) car and driver who spent the day with me.

Although not a perfect hotel, the extraordinary price (plus the airport pick up/drop saving) and location, means it has to be 5*. Will stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank W0RLD_Traveller001
Dear W0RLD_Traveller001,

Thank you for your generous feedback on your stay with us at the Capital Residence Suites. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed the services that we offer to all our guests. We will try to improve on things that you pointed out. Our complimentary shuttle service as well as our airport pickup service is our way of welcoming all our guests to the Capital Residence Suites.

Moreover, your kind words will further motivate our staff in striving to serve our guests to the best of our abilities. please let us know if you are thinking of visiting Brunei in the future and we will be happy to welcome you again to the Capital Residence Suites.

Sincerely yours,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Although the room was quite small, it was clean and warm feeling. But the staff here make it amazing. They are willing to chauffeur you to and from places. They want you to see the best of what bsb has to offer. They even organised a private driver to drive across the border to miri. It is a 5min walk over to the river and from there you can visit the water village, see the proboscis monkeys or view the palace. We highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sassysaara
Capital R, Guest Relations Manager at The Capital Residence Suites, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Sassysaara,

We would like to thank you for the kind words that you have given on your review. The staff here at The Capital Residence Suites are always motivated to contribute to a memorable stay while in Brunei.

We are really glad that you have enjoyed our scheduled shuttle service. The Capital Residence Suites is proud to offer our guests a visit that is without much hassle and trouble to the best of our abilities.

Lastly, thank you once again for choosing The Capital Residence Suites as your preferred accommodation for your visit to Brunei and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I booked my hotel using the hotel web site. I told them my date and flight details asking for the shuttle to collect me at the airport. My flight was due to arrive a 10pm but was delayed and arrived at after midnight. To my amazement, the shuttle driver waited the two hours for me. When I arrived at the hotel, the night manager goes home and he called the general manager who came in to wait for my arrival and check me in at 1am. No surly comments, just welcoming smiles from two sleepy guys who wanted to make sure I got a good nights sleep.
Breakfast which is included in the room rate was a very basic breakfast. Toast, coffee, juice or an Malay style rice packet, not really breakfast but enough to get you to lunch.
For lunch, i asked the desk where to go because is was a national holiday. They called the driver and he drove me around until he found a restaurant in a park open for me to have lunch (the lunch was excellent bbq chili chicken with rice for $1) He offered to take to for ice cream afterwards.
They couldn't due enough for me. i was happy with what i got for what I paid and the service i received added to the stay.

2 Thank BananaMangoChocolate
Dear BananaMangoChocolate,

Firstly, Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback on your recent stay with us at The Capital Residence Suites. We are glad that your are happy of the service that we have given to you. Our staff would be more motivated to provide the same quality of service that you have experienced to all our guests.

In regards to our breakfast choice, we are currently reviewing our breakfast menu.nonetheless, we highly appreciate your feedback on this issue.

We hoped that our staff has contributed to a memorable visit to Brunei. On behalf of the Management and Staff of The Capital Residence Suites, we would like to welcome you again should you decide to visit Brunei in the future.

Kind Regards,

Oakland, California
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I never write reviews, but had to make an exception in this case. The hotel itself is well located, clean and the excellent breakfast was such a treat. What makes it stand out though, is the superior service, and how the staff go above and beyond. I was left stranded at the bus stop at the border without a cab in sight and when the police helped me call the hotel, the general manager took it upon himself to make a special trip to pick me up, walk through traffic, and then even give me a driving tour of the city. All of the staff were helpful, professional, and very personable, and the breakfast is outstanding. They made what started as a stressful entry into Brunei a very pleasant and memorable stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Capital R, Guest Relations Manager at The Capital Residence Suites, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear gjw00,

Firstly, Thank you for taking time to leave kind words about The Capital Residence Suites. It was certainly a pleasure to have contributed to making your trip to Brunei a memorable one. We are sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident and we are most glad that we were able to assist you.

The staff is always motivated to strive in providing the best quality service in hospitality and we take pride in every feedback that we receive.Your words can lift up the spirits of our team and provide the same personal service every time.

lastly, The management and staff would like to thank you once again for the really kind review and we are humbled that you decided to write your first review about us . on behalf of the team at The Capital Residence Suites, we wish you all the best and we really hope that we are able to welcome you again to The Capital Residence Suites in the near future.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was deciding between the Radisson and the Capital, and figured I'd give the local/boutique hotel a shot, particularly since the reviews were so great. Now I wish I stayed at the Radisson...

First off, this isn't particularly a hotel - and that's fair given it does say "suites and residences", and it's great if you are in a large group/family. The rooms themselves (I stayed at a junior "suite") are one-bedroom apartments. Again, a good thing, just setting the expectation properly.

On arrival, I had asked for airport pickup (part of the room package), but of course the driver wasn't there. Okay, it happens. Had to call to arrange pickup, and it took about 5 minutes on the call to understand what's going on, and that a driver will finally come (30 mins late). The driver was nice, all good.

Upon arrival, room wasn't ready. Sure, happens a lot. One of the *best* features of the hotel is that they're currently offering free shuttle service! Kudo's to them. I request to go to the royal palace, as the Sultan is providing a hosted event, and it's hand-shaking time. I ask for an iron to iron my new white shirt, but the lady at the front desk insists that she will iron it for me. Wow, I'm thinking, great service! She returns it with 4 brown stains!! I show them to her, on my white shirt that costs about as much as the hotel room night, and she just says "oh, yea, sorry sir, i did that... it was from the iron. I don't think it will come out... but maybe if you wash it right away!"

Seriously?!?! I'm sorry, but a hotel housekeeping should have a better iron, or at least test it on something before ruining my white shirt.

Okay, leave my bags in their IT closet, then off to the Palace - yea! Driver, Ismail, doesn't speak a *word* of English (or any other language). Anyway, bit tricky, but I get there.

Check in later in the afternoon - room is big, had a kitchen (great for long stay/cooking/family), lounge room, and bedroom with two twin beds. Also a washing machine (points there!). Some unsightly stains on the furniture (photo provided), the bathroom is pretty basic, and it seems housekeeping is lax - they didn't clean the bathroom, and the previous occupants old soaps and razor still left on the vanity shelf in the shower (big surprise, I guess? photo attached).

Time for a nice hot shower. Ups, hot water ran out in 4 minutes. Argh...

Breakfast... the worst part. If you're vegetarian, forget it. Every item had meet, except a hi-glow green product roll with sweet fructose corn-syrup. Or toast. Photos provided. Not what you would expect from an almost 5-star rated hotel which costs on par with the Radisson. I ask for the shuttle to take me to a restaurant. Yea! Off i go. New driver speaks some English, and drops me between two restaurants, pointing the out in the distance, saying they are good, and he'll be back in an hour. I get out, he drives off. I walk over to both restaurants... yea, closed till noon. Both. Great.

Finally, there is very little signage. If you're coming back from eating around 10pm at night, and walking around looking for it, it's really not super convenient. About a 10 to 15 minute walk from the water front, but it's tucked back from the road and behind some construction, and not a *single* sign. Walked past the access road to it the first time, then had to circle back.

There's a difference between nice people and good service. Are the staff friendly and nice? Totally! Is the room big? Yes! Is the service GOOD? No way. Is the breakfast abysmal? Yes. Will I stay there again? No way. Hello, Radisson!

Room Tip: Good for families that will cook breakfast.
1 Thank SteveInCEE
Capital R, Guest Relations Manager at The Capital Residence Suites, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear SteveninCEE

Thank you for taking the time to review of your recent stay with us at The Capital Residence Suite. We are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations of the standard quality service that we strive for here at The Capital Residence Suites.

Cleanliness and comfort has been our main mission. We are truly sorry for the unfortunate incident with your shirt. We have spoken to the employee in question and have reiterated the level of service that is required by The Capital Residence Suites.

We are also sorry to hear that your room and breakfast was not up to your expectations. We have decided that our housekeeping is in need of retraining and we have started the training straight away. we truly value your feedback to show and now we understand what areas we need to improve.

Lastly,If you do decide to visit Brunei in the future, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me and i will personally handle your reservation. you can contact me at majdey.zawawi@capitalresidencesuites.com We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Yours Truly,

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Never in my life had I seen such a great quality of service. The staff is incredibly nice, warm and helpful, ready to fulfill your every request and help you cope with the unforeseen. They litterally walked us one by one with an umbrella when it was raining. Always smiling and kind. We had a very pleasant stay and recommend it heavily.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Charles B,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for leaving the kind words of your recent stay with us at The Capital Residence Suites. It was a pleasure to be in your company and we do hope that we have made the same impression with you and your group.

The team at The Capital Residence Suites are always motivated to fulfill any requests by Guest to the bests of our abilities. We will try to attend to any needs of our guests and make your stay as memorable as possible.

Lastly, The staff and Management of The Capital Residence Suites would like to thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandar Seri Begawan
#8 of 20 in Bandar Seri Begawan
Jubilee Hotel
Jubilee Hotel
#5 of 20 in Bandar Seri Begawan

Been to The Capital Residence Suites? Share your experiences!