“Ambuyat”

Aminah Arif restaurant
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Same as everyone else - only came here to try Ambuyat which for a supposed national dish is quite hard to come by as is the restaurant. We got dropped off by our free shuttle next to a group of shops but the driver had no idea where the place was. Wandered round for about 20 mins which is quite a while in the humidity asking various shop owners about the location but didn't get anywhere - possibly a language barrier but finally came across it in one of the back streets. Got the Ambuyat set meal for 2 and all the little side dishes were plentiful and tasty. The Ambuyat on the other hand wasn't really to our taste - kind off like a big bowl of goo that you twist up with special utensils & dip in a sauce which our waiter was kind enough to show us how to eat. Left most of it in the bowl but hey we came to try it and thats exactly what we did !

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Tried the local dish of Brunei, ambuyat in here. Apparently, this is the best place to try ambuyat in Bandar Sri Begawan. Everyone that I asked about where to try ambuyat advised me to come here.

The one that I tried, is the one in kiulap nearby Hwa Ho department store. If you stayed in Radisson Hotel, they have a free shuttle to bring the guest here, check with the them on the schedule. Otherwise, Taxi or perhaps a local bus is the best way to get you here.

I think the dishes are pretty delicious, especially the mixed dips that I chose for Ambuyat. The only thing that need to be noted for solo travellers like myself, ambuyat is only served in a set meal for 2 people or more. So, to try this local delicacy, you need to order a set meal for 2 which basically a lot of food for a person.

1  Thank Iirwan98
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I came here for the traditional food ambuyat but mind you the service of these place is terrible. The waiters and waitress have attitude problem. I thought probably just for one branch but when I went to the other branches, it is the same. They need some positive motivational training I think!

Food is great although they will charge for extra sauces and I think it is too overprice. $4.00 for a small bowl of cut-chillies soyasauce! I prefer to go to other similar restaurant for the price. Unfortunately this restaurant offer wonderful traditional food that has no similar taste in other similar restaurant, if you know what I mean..

Reviewed 30 July 2013

If you are one to try local food, head to this restaurant and get 'Ambuyat'. It is a glue-like paste made from sago..its tasteless if eaten by its own, but usually eaten with its gravy... I recommend you to take a gravy call 'cacah campur'.. Direct translation is mixed- gravy.. Its a spicy gravy and highly recommended. The food will come in sets with vegetable, fish, meat, etc... so come with friends and enjoy eating ambuyat togther. Great food is also great with great company.

However, service is also slow here and maybe the waitress may not know english very well.. But most bruneians are very friendly and are well verse with english so ask the other guests which they'll recommend...

Reviewed 24 July 2013

wao...ampuyat, my first life time in Brunei and taste of amazing local food. Not just the way they eat it. but also the source "cacah"...I don't expect other places would have the same or similar food. My first time there was weird as I used to have rice with it. But I decide to have it like local people do. not chewing just swallowing it after scoop and twirl it into a small ball, then dipped into the source "cacah", I even heard that not so many restaurant serve this ampuyat...really worth trying...

1  Thank Wateryu W