“My Worst Dining Experience in my Life”
Review of Kaizen Sushi

Kaizen Sushi
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I brought my overseas Business Partners and his family to have a memorable dining experience, with a view of Kampong Ayer and fresh-made Japanese food. It was indeed very memorable.

When we walked in (without any reservation made early) to the Reception, we were told that there was no table as that particular moment for 6 persons. However, a table for six (just located near to the Reception) will be available in about 15 minutes. We were asked that we could sit-in first or could dine in temporarily at the Tenpayaki solo seating style while they get the Table ready for us in about 15minutes. We decided to dine-in first. After 20 minutes and to our surprise, the cleared Table was being offered to someone else without any notification or whatsoever. I went to the Reception table and the Manager was currently manning.

I told the story of his colleagues reserving the Table for me and we were seated and dined temporarily at the Opposite. He did not apologized for his colleague mistake and repeatedly said there was no indication that the table was reserved for me as it was already reserved to someone else (who had made early appointment - pointing to his Reservation Book). Also, he repeatedly defend himself (with his consistent fake smile) that he was not at the Counter earlier and he was not the one who promise me anything. I re-explained my promise again to him, slowly this time. He reluctant to solve this issue himself and pointed that he would checked with his colleague regarding this. I accepted his "somewhat" explanation and went back to my seat. It was deeply disappointing to find such Manager who couldn't provide any solution and kept defended himself, not defend the Service Standard of the Restaurant.

I was very much felt dishearted with such overpromise service in such pricy restaurant. I don't have a good appetite to consume my food anymore as my mood and expectation had drop to shivering-hand. What would you felt? Shall you brought your Business Partners to dine, yet it was ended embarrassingly McDonald Alone-Style Seating? Whereby there was a hard-time all of us could really dine as a family, with exchanging conversation with one another without any physical obstacle.

Back to the Story: There was no crew to come to explain to me about what had happened, as I allowed the Manager to resolve the issue. After only finish half-complete dinner and plenty of leftover, I decided to settle my Bill. While at the Reception Counter, I asked to see the Manager. The Manager was busied for a short 20 second and willingly to see me right after that. He then promptly tell me that he had asked his colleague to explain to me. I replied I had not receive any whatsoever explanation. His colleague then appeared at the Counter and apologized deeply for her fault and her mismanagement. She continued apologize for her mistake of not updating me right after she found out her mistake of the Table Reservation. I frankly told her that I could not accept her excuse and I insisted a solution for such mistake - I also honestly told her that I felt being "cheated" by Kaizen - We were told upon arrival that there was table later 15minutes, yet there were actually no table and there was no update and notification or whatsoever. She deeply apologized for such mistake.

I could felt her sincere. However, I truthfully could not accept her simple apology and her excuse that she could not do anything beside "her apology" and her company could not grant any reimbursement.

I also told her and her colleague that her Manager was useless who pushed responsibility and should have stepped in such scenario. The restaurant was indeed gave a sense of Number 1 Restaurant with Fancy-Fine design and good quality food, yet there is no Standard of Service. No Customer Service chartered and No Customer Recovery guidance. What a lousy Fine Dining Restaurant.

I WILL NEVER RETURN TO KAIZEN ANYMORE!

7  Thank weirdguy

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Considered the best in town, KZ (Kaizen) is located at the waterfront. One can see the Brunei River while dining (but water looks dirty, not much to see at night). Food selection and quality of service is generally good. Reasonably priced too. Will go again.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Eaten here dozens of times and the food is consistently excellent.

Service by the mostly Filipino staff is very good

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The best sushi restaurant in Brunei in my opinion. I normally go to the Bandar Branch, cause it is bigger and offers more selection. If there are more than 5 of you, you can reserve a table in the "room" (which is basically a space divided with curtains) so you get more privacy, or you can go for the tables which allow you to enjoy the view of the water village while having your meal.

Service is great as well, waiters and waitresses welcome you with a loud "irrasshaimase" (welcome) as you enter. There is a bell on each table and you can just press the button if you need the waitress.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

There are not many good restaurants in Brunei but this one of 3 best and it would be a good one in other markets too! Their fish always taste fresh. They have a tremendous menu, and the value is one of the better deals around outside of local fair. The decore is great and the view is as good as it gets here. Finally I eat here about twice a month.