“Clean and Comfortable”

Terrace Hotel
leeds
“Clean and Comfortable”
Reviewed 21 February 2010

The hotel was built in the late 60’s and reflects the architecture of the period, hence looks somewhat dated from the outside, though was probably quite ‘trendy’ when built..

Upon entering we were met with a strong smell of cooking which I guess came from that days lunch and didn’t give the best first impression. Our room was fine however. Spacious, cool,clean and modern if fairly bland—rather like a typical western chain hotel. It was slightly frayed at the edges eg a few scuff marks on the wall by the suit case shelf but generally was fine. I would guess it had been refurbished in the last year or so.There was a safe, fridge and TV. We overlooked the main road but actually slept really well. The only noise we experienced in two nights was an early morning council employee using a vacuum cleaner device on the road outside. There is a nice pool at the rear of the building and a bar/ restaurant. We didn’t spend any time in the bar but I noticed it had a ‘wurlitzer’ style juke box and some nice black and white photos of the hotel when it opened in 1968. The hotel is on the edge of the City Centre and is an easy 10 minute walk to the waterfront. There is free internet and printing and the staff were friendly and generally helpful.

One negative was that , knowing that there are few taxis in Brunei we asked reception to book us one to go to the airport. We said we needed to be at the airport for 2pm so the receptionist said we’d need the taxi at 1.45. I asked if that would give us enough time if there was any traffic and he said ‘there is no traffic’. At 1.45 we arrived at reception and asked where the taxi was. The same receptionist said ‘I’ll get the hotel transport. What time do you want it?’. We were then charged 20 Brunei dollars which was probably more than a taxi and had no time to argue or make alternate arrangements. We set off at 2pm and surprise, surprise, hit traffic on the way to the airport. Luckily we had built in plenty of additional time. The moral of the story is don’t rely on the reception if on a tight schedule! In summary, I thought the Terrace Hotel was fine for a couple of nights in Brunei. It was clean and comfortable and the price we got was very good for the standard of room.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LS13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Finnish first
Berlin
Reviewed 6 February 2010

The hotel is anything but Posh, but ok for a short stay if you do not plan to much time in your room. The complimentary wifi-fi was nice but did not make it to my room, so I used it only in the lobby/in front of the elevator.

The pool is not so well looked after, bf. is ok.

For the rate ok, but would not necessarily return (to neither Terrace nor Brunei).

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Bandar Seri Begawan hotels

Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Fully agree with the last reviewer (take a minute to read his comments).
We stayed 3 nights and paid 70 Brunei Dollars (ca. 35 Euro) per night for a double room (excl. breakfast @ ca. 8 Brunei Dollars per person). This is relatively cheap for Brunei (unless you stay in a hostel) and I am pretty sure it is the best deal anyway !
Location is excellent (10 minutes walk to the center), staff friendly and helpful, rooms a bit tired (but okay), free WiFi in the lobby and some of the rooms.
The excursions and car rental offered by the hotel are too expensive (eg. 135 Brunei Dollars for a (highly recommended !) one day trip to the rain forest; 80 Brunei Dollars for renting a compact car) and you will earn a lot by spending some time on arranging tours / car rental by yourself.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Macclesfield Cheshire
Reviewed 9 November 2009

It was our first visit to Brunei and we booked the Terrace via Trip advisor. We stayed 4 nights. The current reviews are quite accurate as the hotel has seen its best days however it was clean and tidy. The room was quiet. We ate in the restaurant one night and it was excellent. Breakfast was inside (air conditioned) or outside at a nice 25°C or so next to the pool . Over the road was the night food market which we visited twice. First night cost us a total of B$9 which was less than £4.50 and the second night was B$25, less than £12.50 for the sea bream which came with a rather chilli hot sauce fortunately served separately in a small dish.
Highlights of Brunei was to hire a water taxi and take a trip around the Water Village B$20 for 1 hour. Day trip into the jungle to do a treetop walk B$135 each , expensive but worth ever penny just to ride up the river in a native longboat. You can also see Proboscis Monkeys in the river creeks but make sure you go early morning as it is normally too hot for the monkeys during the day and they are all asleep. There is a daily market just opposite the bus station and one of the water taxi on/off points. Interestingly it was the fruit season and the season of the Durian fruit an experiance not for the faint hearted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian, I quite enjoyed it.
Getting around was easy as all buses started form the Bandar Bus station and cost $B1 per ride.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Grumm
Darwin82
Reviewed 25 April 2009

I came across this hotel in Lonely Planet and was able to book quite easily via email although as our flight was arriving after midnight, I did request a pick-up from the airport. I was told however that they were unable to pick up any guest from the airport due to ‘Land Transport Dept rule and regulation’. Which I found strange as when we arrived in Brunei there were plenty of other hotels waiting to pick up guests and Terrace hotel were able to take us to the airport for our departing flight!

In a word I would describe this hotel as dull. It appears to be stuck in the 1960’s complete with Elvis music in the foyer, dark corridors and dried flower arrangements! We paid extra for a ‘deluxe room’ which was hilarious. I later sought clarification on what made it a deluxe room and was told that they were the renovated rooms. I asked when they were renovated and was informed that they weren’t exactly sure but possibly about 6/7 years ago – I would say at least 10.

Our ‘deluxe room’ had a safe that did not work and when we enquired as to whether someone could come and look at it they simply said ‘that one is broken’. Our mini bar was not filled on arrival and remained that way throughout our 3 night stay. On that first night I went down to reception asking for bottled water to which I was told to leave the hotel and walk through a dark park to a shop (even in safe Brunei that did not appeal to me alone at 2:30am). The thing I later realised was that you could buy bottled water from the restaurant – they were just too lazy to get any for me. After I had made the hotel aware of the empty mini bar surely you would ensure it was filled by housekeeping the next day, but sadly no.

Throughout our stay the staff were rude, unprofessional and treated guests like they were nothing more than a pain.

The facilities were terrible – they advertise their gym, internet and pool tables – all of which they charge for! Honestly what hotel charges for use of a crappy gym? The restaurant was depressing… we reluctantly purchased two meals from it, a nasi goreng which was well below average and an omelette which was uneatable.

To give you an idea of the rooms, think old furniture, beds with floral bedspreads and valances and curtains with material borders – I would honestly have hated to see the un-renovated rooms! On the plus side, despite being dull and old the place was clean – in particular the bathrooms. Oh and it is right near the Sheraton which although not cheap does a great breakfast and is actually welcoming and alive. The Terrace Hotel is dull and depressing and I would not recommend it at all.

• Stayed February 2009
3 Thank Darwin82
liverpool
Reviewed 25 March 2009

booked the terrace hotel 6 months ahead requested a transfer from the airport they were waiting and no charge friendly staff decent size room the hotel a little worn around the edges but clean this hotel is good value for the price breakfast thrown in which you can take by the pool ten minute walk to the centre dont expect 5 star but an ok place to stay for a couple of nights quiet hotel you can sleep soundly after a long flight

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank blooby
Oregon
Reviewed 3 February 2009

I stayed at Terrace Hotel for five nights in mid December. I had specifically requested a quiet room. The first night was O.K., but the second night I was kept awake until the early morning hours by what appeared to be hookers operating out of the room across the hall from mine. The door on that room would open and close at close intervals, approximately every 5-15 minutes with a good deal of traffic coming and going. There were occasional loud voices and shouts in the hallway. I finally got out of bed and knocked on the door to complain but was rebuffed by the occupants. I went downstairs to the desk and complained to the staff there, suggesting to them that there was illegal activity involved in the room. They apparently phoned to the room, for I eventually was allowed to sleep. The next day I was given a different room on a different floor and had no more difficulties, but I am certain that the Terrace Hotel is involved in some dodgy practices to say the least. Breakfast was toast, butter and jam with one cup of coffee or tea, no refil.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled solo