“Waste of time and money!!!!”

Ranked #417 of 442 things to do in Cambodia
Reviewed 13 August 2013

first of all you take transport to the pier for the boat on a road which can only be described as a motorcross track. on arrival you are rushed to the counter to pay $20 for the boat trip without being told anything about the trip.

once you get on the boat you are told about the school on the river and how tourists are supposed to buy rice for the local school... on arrival to the floating market you realise it is not actually a market just a shop that sells rice, the rice is price at $35 for 20kgs of rice (expensive for any part of the world). the tour guide trys to claim that 45% of the money gos to the community but it is very apparant it does not.

other than the school and this shop there is virtually nothing else to see. the tour guide asked for a tip for him and the driver, and i burst out laughing.

Blatently a tourist trap, do not waste the effort on this attraction it really is dissapointing.

Ellis D

2  Thank ellis d
There are newer reviews for Vietnamese Floating Village

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I found the tour amusing. There are kids in these big silver bowls with broken boards paddling along begging the tourists for $1 $1!!!!! You try & take a photo & a kid with a snake will walk up & freak you out then go $1 $1. They begging kids will cling on to the boat going $1 $1The local market tried to charge us $65 for 50kgs of rice....I don't think 50kg of rice cost that much in oz so there's no way it costs that much in Cambodia. When they tried to sell me the plate....initially I thought it was a royal not realising its me....then I cracked up laughing. If you don't want to see how a lot of locals live this isn't for you. I think the only English words most of the kids can say is $1 $1!!!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We enjoyed the boat trip to the floating village the most. Our guide that came with the boat was really nice and spoke good English. On the way to the village he explained about the fisherman along the river and their back story.

When we got to the floating village, we were offered to go to the community market. We saw no reason why not, and we were taken to a wholesalers. What we weren't told is that you are expected to buy some food or water to go and take to the local school. This was annoying as we were not told that was the reason we were going to the market. We were bullied into buying noodles for $15 and we then proceeded to the school.

When we got to the school, we felt like we were filming a comic relief video as I was carrying their lunch on my shoulders. The children were very nice, and we got a thank you from the headmaster (even though he probably says it about 30 times a day). We bought the food for the starving children, but we then saw all the boat drivers tucking into the food, which was disappointing as I bought that food for the children.

We then went to a "crocodile farm" which consisted no more than a small pen with 4 crocs, a small shop and a scary girl with a dead snake around her neck. We avoided her at all costs and quickly left.

When we got back, a child presented us with a plate that had our faces on which was weird as I thought plates with faces on were only for royalty and of course, they wanted to charge you $20 for the privilege to eat off a plate with your face on.

It's something you feel you have to do but I would recommend against it.

1  Thank Kristian M
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Taking air-conditioner bus near by Orussey Market at Phnom Penh to travel to floating village at Pursat Province. It takes 3 hours to reach there. Nothing much you can see on floating village at Pursat Province. The residents are less compare to floating village in Siam Reap. There is one small temple in floating village. The main transportation is boat. The water is not clean and rubbish is flew every where. If you want to take bath, you need to go further up from the village as the water is cleaner. I stay there for 4D3N in the floating house. I enjoyed the moment there as there is not busy and noisy like Phnom Penh.

1  Thank lss_hellboy
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Terrible! We were taken to a floating structure (I don't know exactly what to call it.) It was not inviting and not interesting in spite of having a very small pen with several crocodiles and a young girl with a snake draped around her neck. We returned to the dock after dark and the boat had no lights. The operator held up his cell phone for light when he heard another boat. That seemed to be the way all the boats operated. However, we were startled and somewhat frightened when we suddenly heard yelling, because our boat came so very close to a small boat being rowed by hand.
The villagers did not benefit from our presence, only the tour operators did. I concur with others; it is exploitation.

1  Thank Traveler_from_Utah