“Worst hotel that I have ever stayed in - got robbed by the housekeeper”

The Quay Boutique Hotel
Ranked #72 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
London, England, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel that I have ever stayed in – got robbed by the housekeeper”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I got robbed in this hotel, which is something that has never happened to me before, I would avoid this hotel at all costs and never would recommend for anyone to stay there, total disaster.
When I first arrived there I noticed the small room that had no natural daylight and the really old bed sheets and pillows, the type of things you would expect to find in a hostel not in a hotel where you pay £50/ night, which for Cambodian standards is lot. I was comteplating about complaining about the room conditions but in the end was just a bit lazy and decided to not say anything as I was staying there for only 2 days.
But the worst thing that happened was the next day when we got robbed. Someone had removed £50 from my wallet which was lying in the room. It was awful to think that someone had opened my purse and gone through all the money and then taken what they wanted. When we discovered this we were shocked and I told the front desk at the reception but their attitude was beyond awful which made the incident worse. They did not care about the fact someone had stolen from the room and after me complaining, they finally decided to go through the video camera tape (video camera was located outside the door) to see if anyone had gone in. A job that would usually take 5/10min (as you just look through the tape and fast forward to see anyone coming in) took them 2h and we had to constantly check on the progress and they just did not seem interested at all. In the end the hotel staff concluded that it was our fault as we had not put valuables in a safety deposit box, but I don’t know many people that lock all their money there as generally you would expect to be treated with dignity in one of the supposedly best hotels in town. In the end they said only the cleaning lady had gone into our room and she says she had not taken anything, and the staff were unwilling to cooperate and help any further, they just did not care.
This was my last day in Phnom Penh and on my 2 week holiday amd this experience was awful and a sad end to my amazing trip. I would not wish for my worst enemy to stay at this hotel, it is so bad, they take your money and then don’t care about you and charge way too much for which is an awful room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maija P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Given that I had one week to relax in a city where I was unfamiliar with everything; the friendliness and professionalism of the hotel staff meant that I was able to spend the whole week enjoying myself without the hassle of trying to figure out where the best spots were. Although the hotel is in the heart of everything, it still has a nice peaceful feel about it for when you're wanting a break from the many pestering Tuk Tuk drivers, heat/humidity and packed out markets. Nothing was ever too much trouble and although I was a solo traveller, the friendly staff make you feel that you're amongst friends whilst trying out their extensive drinks range in the rooftop bar.

The only issue that occurred during my stay was one evening...well 4am...when an over-excited hotel resident was very load and shouting about his night out with some friends for quite some time. This was amplified as the communal areas tend to echo quite a bit and can therefore be a slightly noisy. However, this was easily resolved by calling reception and asking them to have a word with this particular person. As well as this, the lobby music can sometimes be a bit too load given the "echo factor" meaning that I could hear it from my room on the third floor. Although given that the music selection is very mellow, I found this quite bearable. So in summary, the hotel was a top spot where everything is on your doorstep and yet when stepping back inside, all of the Phnom Penh hustle and bustle seems to disappear. :)

Room Tip: Although it's a small hotel, I would probably ask for a room on the top floor given that the com...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The location is fantastic, rooms are super, staff very friendly, good breakfast and don't forget to have a drink at the roof bar, we can highly recommend the hotel, although for Cambodian understandings not cheap.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I am in and out of Phnom Penh a lot and have just lately taken to staying at this hotel but really like the level of service. The location is nice as well right on the river front. I particularly like that the owners personally follow up with you after the stay for recommendations and feedback.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank scotthuff
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I tried the Lunch specials here, for $7.50 it includes a glass of wine, a beer or a soft drink.

Great value as the Beef burger and chips i had were superb.

Nice air con comfort, good wi-fi and relaxing music helped to make it a great.

Room Tip: worth having lunch there for sure
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank cruisingthru
Paris, France
Reviewed 13 July 2013

After searching for ages through the many hotels in Phnom Penh, I settled on this one. Price, location and the idea of an environmentally friendly hotel appealed.

This hotel is modern and small and great for a couple of nights. The rooms are stylish and the bathrooms super great. Yes, the standard doubles have no real natural light, but this is noted in the site and you are going to be out most of the time. The overall affect is modern and a nice change from the usual.

The greatest thing at The Quay is the breakfast menu, then again most of the food. As breakfast is included, I was amazed at the quality and standard. The build up of excitement just to choose from the breakfast menu had me bounding downstairs. The eggs benedict is fabulous, but the standard scrambled eggs, sour dough and bacon was just as great.. Oh and don't get me started on the passionfruit caipirinha!!!!

A hotel I would go back to and recommend wholeheartedly... a great location and price, but please read their website so you don't end up complaining about rooms with no windows!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nicky N
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Great place with fantastic suites. Te staff were very friendly and arranged our tours in the City and also to the Coast. The restaurant served international foods as well as many Asian classics. Don't miss the roof top bar where they make the best cocktails. Quite busy at happy hour with a trendy young crowd.

Tis was our second stay and we would definitely go back

Room Tip: Try to book the suites and don't miss the breakfasts which are totally yummy
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family