“Fantastic place in heart of PP”

The Quay Boutique Hotel
Ranked #73 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Singapore
“Fantastic place in heart of PP”
Reviewed 6 August 2008

My wife and I spent one night in one of the front rooms with a balcony (so we cannot comment on the rooms in the back without any windows) and think the hotel is fantastic. The location could hardly be better, about a five-minute walk from the palace. The modern design is interesting and unusual, and we thought the room was very cleverly done, cool yet cozy. We had no problems with noise, either from outside or other rooms, but the hotel does face onto a very busy street in a busy town. Also no problem with hot water. The staff were fantastically attentive and nice. I asked for a cell phone charger, and when it turned out that they did not have one, they went out and bought one at the market. Took a little longer than ideal, but they came through in the end. We also overstayed our check-out time by about five hours, and the staff were very kind and understanding and even downright pleasant about it. We forgot to order breakfast to the room the night before, so we called down in the morning, and within 15 minutes we had a breakfast served to the room that was one of the best hotel breakfasts we've ever had (and we often stay in five-star hotels). One big bonus was that the hotel, while being a cool, stylish boutique hotel, is still very business-friendly, which was important for us as we were both partially working. In addition to taking care of my cell phone problem, the hotel also rented us a very good laptop (five bucks an hour) and had a phenomenally fast internet connection.

The only nits we had to pick were that it's a bit tough to watch TV from the bed due to the design of the room and that the drinks at the lobby bar promised more than they delivered: the drinks menu is among the best I've ever seen, but the drinks themselves then weren't quite as good as we had hoped. But during the happy hour, they were a great value (by Western standards).

Some of the staff at the hotel are from the school PSE ("Pour un Sourire d'Enfant"), which has got to be one of the most incredible charitable organizations in the world, so it's nice to know that the hotel supports this kind of local initiative. The hotel also bills itself as "carbon-friendly," though we really couldn't quite figure out where that part came in.

Overall, we had a great experience at the Quay. It may not be the best value in a place like PP (the front rooms run USD120, I believe), but it's hard to believe that it would not be near the top of the list of all hotels in PP.

• Liked — Staff, service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pepino11111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
LA
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We booked via hotel website. It just opened for 3 months We stayed in Standard room . I agree with the previous that room with the window is better my room number is 15 so better ask hotel firstly before booking .For the price of 80 dollars a night .On that street you will find many restaurant and look at the view of the main river .Please help for the poor kids on the street buy them some milk or snack. The standard room is very big with TV and desk . I loved the decor of room it is the most chic hotel I stayed in this trip

• Liked — Chic decor
  • Disliked — poor kids on street
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pimmy80
Auckland
Reviewed 4 August 2008

My wife and I just enjoyed a weekend in PP, taking advantage of their "summer weekend special". Overall, we were impressed with The Quay. It is very slick, modern and has a very polished feel about it.

We stayed in a very nice Panoramic room. We saw one of the other windowless rooms at the back of the hotel and I agree with the previous reviewer - do not even think about staying in one of those. The bed was firm but comfortable, the pillows decent, the shower pressure was good and there was lots of light and room. Each panoramic room has its own balcony, outside seating, 42" plasma TV with a DVD/CD player. They also offer free DSL internet access.

In terms of the overall hotel, it has an excellent location. Right on the riverfront close to a multitude of bars & restaurants and is an easy walk to the Royal Palace Grounds and National Museum. We paid US$2 for a tuk-tuk to get to the Genocide Museum & Russian Market.

The lobby area doubles as a bar/restaurant which served fantastic breakfasts (although stay away from the hotcakes - stodgy) and the dinners were great. The roof top bar is also a very nice place to enjoy a sundowner or two. Interestingly though they dont mention their little pool/jucuzzi at all in their website. It is a non-heated pool around 4m x 2m on the roof. I am not surprised it was never used though as its in quite an odd spot - right in front of the working bar and staircase, so you would be "on display" while in the pool. Definitely not a spot for anyone who is even remotely body concious!

Now, there are some gripes I have about the place which is why I gave only four stars. Firstly, its really quite noisy. Not too much the hotel can do about this given its right on the main road overlooking the river. However, there is a constant stream of honking horns, motorbikes and trucks throughout the night. Secondly, the walls between the rooms are not completely sound proof. I had the unfortunate experience of being woken at 4.15am by a guy watching a movie next door and the thumping base jarring me awake. Sadly, the traffic noise then prevented me getting back to sleep! In addition, the water is just not hot. Ok, ok, its a tropical country but I still enjoy a HOT shower, not a luke warm one. Also, they have this lovely big bath but who wants a luke warm bath?

The front desk staff also need some additional training in customer support. I had earlier wandered over to the post office, bought some stamps and written out my postcards. I attempted to hand them to the front desk to post when they go and post the hotels own correspondence - like every other hotel in the world. Ahhh, negative. Huh? Sorry, we will need you to PAY 50c per postcard (more than the postage) for someone to walk the 5 blocks to drop it off. I thought maybe it was a language barrier thing so went back later and asked a different staff member - this time they point blank refused to accept them. Its always the little things that can spoil the whole ambience you know?

Finally, a gripe about the cocktails at the bar. I understand the prices are always going to be at a premium when you are drinking at such a swanky bar but the tide REALLY goes out when the drink is delivered. If I am going to pay US$8.50 for a martini I'd like it to last a bit more than a couple of mouthfuls. So, my advice it is to enjoy the happy hour (4pm-8pm) then move on.

So, knowing what I know now, would I go back and recommend it to my mates? Definitely. I'd just suggest they pack some ear plugs and dont order cocktails after 8pm!

• Liked — Slick, modern room
  • Disliked — Noise and small cocktails
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank edleycabs
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We had booked a room through the hotel's own website before it had even opened so we turned up not having read any reviews at all.

The location is excellent. Staff are delightful. The hotel is small (16 rooms) which gives it a nice feeling. The design is appealing though somewhat oddly out of place in Phnom Penh (a bit like sitting in a Wallpaper* magazine foldout on danish design whilst Phnom Penh street life rools by outside).

We had one major problem with the hotel though! There are 8 rooms at the front with a view to the quay (so-called panoramic rooms). These are very large and quite beautiful. However the other 8 rooms, at the back (the so called standard rooms) have NO WINDOWS!!! The rooms are smaller though perfectly acceptable in size and the design is quite nice but there is no window and no view to the outside world!! Very strange.

In place of what one would imagine is where the window was has been walled over to make space for a large flatscreen tv. True there are to tiny glass white-glazed panels on the sides of the wall but these are only 20cm wide and you could easily mistake them for articial lighting. We were a little upset at this as the website gives no indication that the rooms are windowless and htey did feel a little like a prisoncell as a result.

I insist though, the staff is lovely and the location is great but if you stay book a panoramic room only (they are, truly, lovely).

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BelgianIrish
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 May 2008

The Quay is a brand new hotel affiliated with FCC, also at the waterfront. The hotel is in one word superb. The design of the rooms is brilliant with a lot of attention to detail. The hotel has a bar/restaurant downstairs where the best breakfast we ever had was served. One of the best features of the hotel is the rooftop with bar and, jaccuzi. Both places have a happy hour from 4 to 8 with very nice cocktails. Other than that, staff is extremely friendly, though check-in was a little slow, but guess that is a matter of experience. All in all, it is was a more than five star experience at a very reasonable price.

• Liked — Rooftop
  • Disliked — Nothing