“Very modern hotel in a good location”

The Quay Boutique Hotel
Ranked #216 of 275 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We only stayed here one night as we were traveling from Siem Reap to Kep. For our purposes it was excellent, very modern and clean, with good wifi, and a lovely breakfast, and a great location right on the river and close to the palace. We paid $140 for a river view which seems a bit expensive for Cambodia, but i don't think prices have declined as much as the lack of tourists would suggest. Our taxi driver from the airport had a little difficulty finding the hotel because it is not marked very clearly so make sure you take the exact address with you. The rooms are very nice, although quite small, with a lot of modern equipment. The rooftop was very nice with a small but very refreshing plunge pool. We eat at the FCC which we found a bit of a dump (very different to the FCC in Siem Reap) and wished we had eaten somewhere else. The breakfast in the hotel was lovely and we also had a small lunch which was very nice. We thought Phnom Penh was a bit of a dump and very sketchy at night so were quite happy we didn't stay more than one night. If you are looking at more of a colonial style experience the raffles is most likely a better bet but then it is also a lot more expensive. If you could get this hotel for around the$100 mark I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2009

The Quay is an urbane, relaxed haven from the noise and bustle of Phnom Penh, so much so that you need to walk out of the front door to remind yourself where you are. We stayed for one night after having the Quay recommended as an alternative to the FCC - it's the same business, and the Quay is only five minutes’ walk up the river front in Phnom Penh from the FCC.

After being picked up in a car and shuttled a ludicrously short distance from the Mekong Express bus stop, my girlfriend and I were quickly and efficiently checked in and taken to our room by the very friendly, easy-going staff. The reception of the Quay sits behind a cool air-conditioned bar area, which doubles as the Chow restaurant.

We stayed in one of the Panoramic Suites, at the front of the hotel with a private balcony offering great views out across the Tonle Bassac and Mekong rivers. I've never stayed in a more stylish and comfortable hotel in Cambodia. The room was beautifully decorated, with reclining chairs, a huge flat screen TV with DVD player (and a free DVD library at reception), a great bed, and a groovy little desk behind the bed, positioned facing the window. The bathroom was excellent - with bath, rain shower and bowl sink screened off with frosted glass.

The food at the Quay was very good indeed – filling, fresh and tasty Cambodian, Malaysian, Vietnamese and Western dishes. The prawn and coconut laksa was fantastic. As part of a short-term deal, $30 of the price of our room was deducted from the food bill, effectively allowing us to eat for free (and get a few drinks in) during our stay.

The Quay claims to be a completely carbon neutral hotel, through monitoring emissions and offsetting 100% of them.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathan N
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We found The Quay a refreshing oasis in Phnom Penh. The rooms were clean, very attractive, modern and comfortable. We trusted the food we ordered in the lobby restaurant and found the staff to be very accomodating.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I LOVE this hotel. The rooms are beautiful, the design is great. The staff are SO friendly, helpful, and lovely. The rooftop bar is espeically nice and the specialty drinks are GREAT, the small infinity pool on the rooftop is the *perfect* place to cool off after after a scorching summer day. Plus their happy hour can't be beat. The food is good...this place is a gem. Get the lychee martini. This hotel's very expensive by Cambodian standards but not by U.S. ones. Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2009

This was a nice and quiet hotel on the busy riverside esplanade. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, organising taxis for us at a reasonable price. Breakfast was delicious! I highly recommend the hotcakes with apple, icecream and roasted peanuts! The croissant with lemon curd was fabulous as well! This hotel was great value for money and I would recommend it to anyone. My only complaints where that upon arrival our bed cover had white stains on it...very disgusting, however the staff cleaned our bed straight away upn request. Also the room seemed dusty still, it may have been the airconditioner hadn't been cleaned in a while as the room seemed clean enough. The lift smells a bit funny, but other than that this was a great place to stay with a convenient location! Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2009

This is a lovely boutique hotel and after having travelled to over 25 countries I can honestly say I thought it was one of the best I have stayed at in it's class. Yes it is pricey for Cambodia but worth it. Right on the waterfront surrounded by plenty of restaraunts. The french place next door is a real treat / bargain with several staff waiting on you.

The upgraded rooms are worthwhile and very funky. The rooms are quiet and spacious and you can plug your ipod into the bose sound system. The plunge pool is in a strange location as it is in full view of guests coming up to the terrace bar but it is so lovely you get over it. Happy hour cocktails are fantastically priced and they will even bring them to your room - although why would you want to when you have such a fantastic view over the river at sunset.

The staff are fantastic and can't do enough for you - they even called our taylor with a last minute change. They speak excellent english. The breakfast is delicious. I wouldn't book tours through them though as they are pricey. We enjoyed our stay so much we would almost come back to Phnom Penh just to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2009

I was staying at the Quay's Sister Hotel in Phnom Penh, the FCC (which I liked) but I kept staring at an inroom ad for the Quay, and it looked so good I decided to switch....and I must say I am very pleased with my hotel changeover, even if I'm paying a bit more.

The Quay is fantastically designed, essentially a perfect design in my opinion for a small hotel. My room faces the back and while it has no window (just sandblasted glass that keeps you from seeing what would be an ugly view), I am surprised to say that the room design is so perfect that I am ok with that (though maybe not on a long stay)....and this is the first time in a thousand plus hotel room visits that I can say I had no window but that room style made up for lack of a view. The room design is great~! Of course, the rooms on the front have a view over the river, and patios, and that can't be beat (although the noise is much louder in the front especially as motorbikes in Cambodia are loud, so if you are a light sleeper, beware). My room didn't have a desk, so if I was on a business trip the room I had would not be workable unless I didn't mind working off of my bed.

The bar and restaurant, which you walk through when you arrive to get to reception and your room is lively and has good food. It's a great place to hang out with a book or your computer. Breakfast is included, and I had a great eggs benedict but almost everything on the menu sounded good.

The roof has a jacuzzi (if it's heated it wasn't when I was there), but better to pretend it's a plunge pool and cool off on the deck. There really aren't lounge areas on the roof (there's a pool bar) but there's enough deck space around the jacuzzi that you could get a bit of suntime in.

The hotel staff is very good. Very friendly. The woman behind the desk always ran to the elevevator to press the button when she saw me walking in.

The Quay is central to good bars and restaurants. It's also close to the Cantina, run by a former set dresser named Hurley who migrated from the United States and opened up a Tex Mex restaurant here that is fantastic.

If might be a bit more expensive than you want to spend, but The Quay is well worth checking out....

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo