“Best introduction to P.P.”

The Quay Boutique Hotel
Ranked #222 of 281 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 26 November 2009

We stayed a night at the Quay and it proved to be the best hotel experience we have had for a long time. From the moment we arrived we were looked after well and were made to feel that we were important. The rooms were spotless and very comfortable, the food good and the roof terrace and staff made it an exceptional experience. I would suggest that this is a better place to stay than the much hyped FCC, just down the road. We stayed at both but found the Quay to be the better by far. There are many hotels in Europe and the US that could learn a little about proper customer care from the staff here!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JazzerDorsetUk

Reviewed 20 November 2009

Stayed here for one night in October 2009 - I knew I'd be tired after 3 flights in 24 hours to get to Cambodia, so picked a hotel that I thought I'd be comfortable in and could sleep off some jetlag. I made a GREAT choice....

Firstly, I had a look at a few sites before (based on advice here) booking directly through the hotel due to the food deal they offered. Most of the other sites had the 'standard' room (without window/view) as being booked out, but the hotel still let me book it directly. So for around $90 USD, I got a single room with a $20 meal voucher.....and when I arrived, because the room WAS booked out, they upgraded me to a suite. BARGAIN!! They made a point of telling me how lucky I was - I have no problem with them selling me on that.

The room was gorgeous - fourth floor (there's a lift), balcony, remote controlled everything (curtains too!), big bathtub, comfy bed. And of course, from the balcony, I could watch the world go by - either walking sisowath quay, or cruising down to where the tonle sap river meets the mekong.

My first stop was upstairs for a drink at the bar. Like most hotels, the price of the drinks are considerably higher than out in a restaurant, but still $4 for a mojito wasn't going to break the piggy bank (and I had free vouchers too). The pool is small, and on the rooftop, but if hot enough well worth a dip. Service at the bar - like everywhere - is careful and attentive.

I then ducked up the street to FCC for dinner (also included in the food voucher). Again, although costs were high for Cambodia, compared to home they're very inexpensive, and the food was good.

I must admit, I was a bit slow on the uptake to realise that the hotel restaurant is actually in front of the reception (like in a lobby area), but for breakfast the next morning (included in my room rate), with the sun streaming in it was really lovely.

I can't speak highly enough of the hotel, and their regard for guests. All staff smiled and said hello when passing by or sharing the lift, I ended up being sorry that I couldn't stay longer (although I may not have really explored any more if I did, as the room was too nice to want to leave!!). It's a hotel I'd stay in for not only the location (close to the royal palace, national museum, loads of great restaurants and shopping), but because the room was just amazing.

My big tip - don't take a chance like I did, book the river view suite, get room service to deliver some drinks and your balcony is the best place to just sit and watch the world from. Oh, and despite my comment about the $4 cocktail, with dinner at FCC, I could barely spend $15 of my $20 voucher!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Driftergirl
Reviewed 16 November 2009

The Quay was in a near-perfect location - even though difficult to find by taxi (look for "Chow" restaurant, which comprises the ground floor). It was blocks away from the Royal Palace and National Museum. There were numerous restaurants and cafes all along the street and if you have a suite (we did) - there's a balcony with view of the river and street activity below. But the busy location wasn't so loud that we had any difficulty sleeping. I didn't see the inside rooms, but from what I understand there are NO windows - just glazed glass letting in some natural light.

The staff were friendly and very eager to help - if a bit inexperienced about a few service nuances. For example, I ordered a kahlua and coffee and it arrived in a brandy sifter with only a tiny splash of coffee. It wasn't a big deal - just a cultural difference that amused me.

The room was clean and well appointed. The bed was comfortable and firm. Breakfasts were interesting interpretations of western classics. For example, I had an eggs benedict with asian style pulled pork and lime hollandaise. The sauce could have been more citrusy, but was tasty nonetheless. The pho (Vietnamese soup) was absolutely delicious and fragrant. We enjoyed sitting on the rooftop terrace for dinner and drinks. The view was lovely - particularly when we discovered it was Cambodian independence day and got an unexpected fireworks show over the river. :)

The only downsides - they didn't have a house computer for guest use. We had to rent a laptop by the hour in order to check email. Also, I thought the price ($140 per night) was a bit high for the level of accommodation and service, when compared to equivalent lodging in neighboring Thailand. I would have expected a price more like $110 or so. But all in all, I would still recommend The Quay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jhawkx2
Reviewed 8 November 2009

Great location along river, small and personal, with good service. We had booked 3 rooms for 5 of us and initially they gave us the wrong rooms, but it was just a case of exchanging cards between us. Had panoramic room so we could have an extra bed to make a twin room - no problem in this huge room (with huge bathroom too). Balcony over the river front view was great place for taking photos, looking down to spot the greatest number of people on one motorbike - we spotted family of 7! Potentially noisy but good double glazing and aircon so it wasn't a problem. They had roof terrace with large jacuzzi, and bar stools with great view. Breakfast was to order - good choice and well cooked, their scrambled egg was best I have had. Lots of good restaurants to hand - eating in PP is so cheap. Would definitely stay there again. Only downside was the strange kind of plug in the sink - it sort of screwed up and down - not great for contact lens wearers, but we got a small bowl to use.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank EalingGal
Reviewed 3 November 2009

I booked this hotel online on 27 Sep and paid full via PayPal. (Reservation number GK4545, USD286) Due to changes in travel arrangements, I had to cancel my reservations on 03 Oct. This is definitely in line with the cancellation policy since my reservations are for 05 Nov, and I should get a full refund. My cancellation was acknowledged on the same day, but there was no response to my query on when would my payment be refunded. ONE MONTH, and FIVE reminder emails later, there is still no word about my refund. Not a single response from the hotel. So be warned! The photos look great, and they are quick to take your money, but they will not respond at all if you cancel and want to get your rightful refund.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank reinti
Reviewed 24 October 2009

It's a shame that this lovely hotel is crammed between 2 buildings in one of the noisiest parts of the city. For those who like the sound of college fraternity parties, stay on the top (fourth) floor where you will hear every drunken laugh from the rooftop bar above. Designed in great taste, with nothing Cambodian about it, the acoustics are the worst I have ever experienced in a hotel. The standard rooms are small and without windows, so you could be anywhere. The panoramic suites larger, with views of the river and the construction.

Staff could not be nicer and apologized for the noise, but even the $30 a day credit at their family of restaurants and free WiFi could not compensate for the paper-thin walls and poor acoustics. I regret that I didn't move to the third floor at the start of my stay. Better yet, I regret that I was unable to book the Pavilion Hotel sooner as they offer it all: peace, beauty, comfort, and a taste of Cambodia.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank FrequentFlyer013
Reviewed 7 October 2009

To be honest I did not have high expectations of the Quay, the reviews are generally favourable but not great. I was pleasantly surprised from the time I arrived at the airport until I left, The Quay exceeded all my expectations.

The rooms are nice, very stylish and modern. I stayed in the larger rooms with the view of the river/road. Some people complain of the noise from the road, but it was not a big issue for me and you have to be realistic......you are in Phnom Penh, quiet roads are few and far between.

The lobby restaurant serves great food, and breakfast can be served in your room at no extra cost (doesn't happen in many places!). The roof top bar is great for a chillout cocktail after a hectic day. The local area has many restaurants and bars and you are walking distance to the Palace and museum. The location is perfect!

This costs a little more than other places in PP, but alot less than other similar places around Asia. I wish there were more places like this. I often stay in large 5* hotels but both my girlfriend and I loved staying in this small hidden gem in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple