“Excellent hotel, scrummy breakfasts and fab views from the rooftop bar”

The Quay Boutique Hotel
Ranked #212 of 272 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 7 August 2010

I stayed at The Quay for 4 nights with my boyfriend. We had a room without a window but this wasnt a problem because it meant we didnt have any noise from the road and had a good nights sleep. The room was a good size and the shower and toilet were spectacular (so much so that we took pictures for inspiration in our own place). On the first night we received a turn down service with homemade Khmer sweets - however we only got this on the first night which was a little disappointing because the sweets were delicious.
The breakfast was scrummy - my boyfriend and I tried most of the options on the menu.
We also took advantage of the lunch set menu one day which was also very tasty. You could have breakfast served in your room for no additional cost.
The happy hour was excellent - from 4 - 8 half price cocktails - with all of the usual classics along with ones with a modern twist. We didnt discover the rooftop bar until our 3rd night but it was a lovely place to sit and watch the river and the sunset. There was also a jacuzzi pool up on the roof as well.
Staff were always smiley and were not at all intrusive (e.g. trying to sell tours)which was refreshing. They were very helpful when we asked if they could help us book tickets to get to Siem Reap.

The Quay was a lovely modern hotel, situated in an excellent location by the river (e.g. close to good restaurants and bars). We got a deal on the room price - without it the hotel may not have been good value for money.

We raved about it so much to a couple we met that they stayed here for a night when they returned to Phnom Penh from Siem Reap (after previously staying at The Pavillion).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nurmel57
There are newer reviews for The Quay Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 30 July 2010

The Quay is a old design hotel...I think and hope that it is possible to stay better in Phnom Penh:-) Service was okay but not impressing in any way...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I stayed here for one night with my little daughter. The location is very good. Close to the Royal Palace. I had a room without a window. I wonder what would happen in case of a fire. The room was clean, but there were lots of mold stains on one of the pillows in the sofa. Breakfast was average. The hotel is good but i don´t think it´s worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2010

My policy is to only write positive reviews. I wish I did not feel so strongly about this hotel that I have felt the need to give a negative review.
On the positive, The Quay was one of the first of the new trend in Boutique hotels in Phnom Penh and did a great job in making a stunning mid priced hotel. It is a shame that they have not replaced such items as the in room menu and information, broken doors and other fixtures since then. Many features of the room are looking worn, grubby or are just broken like our closet door. This detracts from what would be the good feature of the hotel; its decor.
As for the rooms, there is no space to hang clothes in the small rooms. The room we had literally vibrated with the noise of some generator to the degree that we were moved. The expensive front rooms are divine but so noisy from the road below that ear plugs still made no difference to the 5am trucks and cars on the busy riverfront road. The spa on the roof did not open although we were sold the room on this feature and assured on arrival it was just being cleaned. The staff refused to get me a taxi to Kampot. I asked several times and they kept telling me they had organized a car to the airport - WAH! Lucky it was my fourth visit to Cambodia and I knew to just walk out the front door and ask the Tuk Tuk driver if he could call one for me. They do not take responsibility for the Tuk Tuk drivers out front as many Phnom Penh hotels do. This means that you will be readily ripped off or abused for only paying the normal tourist price. I will not go on.
There are the most fantastic boutique hotels in Phnom Penh however this is not one of them. The price is three times what you will pay at places such as Blue Lime or Manor House, double that of the many other boutique hotels and all these other hotels have pools. Do a little research and you will find a great place to stay.
Note: if like me you have a child under 16 you are limited in your choice. This is why we tried this hotel. I have stayed at average and good small hotels that accept children, all of which were better value than the Quay. Area is an issue. I like to be in walking distance to restaurants and shops. Villa Lanka is defiantly worth a look.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank thelovelyasia
Reviewed 23 April 2010

I stayed at the Quay hotel for the second time having stayed there around eighteen months ago; i was impressed yet again. The hotel is small with only sixteen rooms but that allows it to have a very welcoming atmoshere, that is not to say that quality is compromised but I felt like a genuinely valued guest by the excellent hotel staff.
All staff from the cleaning staff to the management are smart, friendly and motivated, they know how to provide customer service.
If you have never been there Phnom Penh is a brilliant but chaotic place, it was always nice to have a refuge and for that the Quay does an excellent job.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank vsi_ian
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I found this hotel on TripAdviser as I was wanting a change from the large and formal Raffles Hotel where I have stayed several times.Located right down town overlooking the Mekong River it is great fun.Associated with the historic Foreign Correspondants Club, just a minute away,makes this part of the expatriate scene.The standard rooms are small and windowless but the suites are large and have balcony's.The roof top bar,with small pool and restaurant were fantastic and memorable.I liked the area as its so alive and there are great food options such as METRO just a minutes walk away.There is a terrific street market each day behind the hotel.I loved the hotel but really its a boutique 4 star at best .Dont let that put you off as its excellant value.The staff are really helpful and typically gentle.Spend as much as you can to help the economy and remember small tips go a very long way for locals.This is real Asia and great fun.I will return to the Quay and FCC for sure.Internet is free - Yeah!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Christopher R
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I'm not that sensitive to noise, but my sleep was disturbed by noise at the Quay - a pity as it is the only problem with this lovely boutique hotel. We stayed on the first floor and the traffic noise from the road was notable. The next weekend we were allocated a room on the fourth floor and were disturbed by the bar on the roof terrace directly above. Try to get a room on the third floor!

If you don't stay here - do eat in the ground floor restaurant or go up to the roof top bar for drinks. The latter is a great place to watch the sun go down.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple