“Don't waste your time...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amara Spa

Amara Spa
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I went in to the spa to pre-book a treatment and it seemed really lovely and very professional.

I returned later for my hour massage and was given a pair of slippers and some lovely tea, I have been to a few more expensive spas around Asia and this was the norm so I was quite happy. As we went upstairs to the massage room I was told to undress, put on the pants and get on the bed - all fine but usually there is somewhere to wash your feet as I had been wearing flip flops all day and they were dirty...was she just to smear that around my legs?? The girl came back in and started rubbing oil onto my back....this continued for bout 5 minutes, there was no massaging or anything, just constant rubbing, the cushion for my face kept slipping out and the face hole was extremely uncomfortable digging into my forehead. As she moved onto my arms it felt like I was getting Chinese burns...not the relaxing massage I had hoped for. She then moved onto legs and accidentally ripped a mosquito bite open, Ouch and how?? Anyway after half an hour I had had enough of the Chinese burns, my leg stinging and the pain from the metal face hole digging I to my skull so I finished it early.

Unfortunately I had paid for it upon arrival...not a good idea! I then had to try to explain to the manager...with a throbbing headache, a massive indent across my face and my leg bleeding, that I hadn't enjoyed the massage and I didn't want to pay full price. She wasn't really having any of it and rang someone who then decided it was ok to refund me $10 as she explained I had had 40 mins massage.

I just took it and left.

Untrained staff and a rude manager. Not ideal, don't visit!

I went to Bodega Spa in Siem Reap which was AMAZING and there is one in phnom phen so I defo recommend trying there..it's the same price

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Traveller7586

• Korean first
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Worth a try!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Did a 3 hours spa. At 90USD. scrub, massage and milk bath. Superb good!!! Super professional! Staff are well trained and well skilled.

Rockdale, Australia
235 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 331 helpful votes
“Fresher & Younger Look After My Professional Facial !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

I called in on Monday 12/08/13 to check out the services & treatments, after being given the best advice for my facial skin problems and happy with the cost I decided to go for Lunch & return later. On returning 45 min's later I'm approached by the reception staff with a very polite & professional welcome, the spa environment is very clean / spotless & leading the way the young female therapist directed me upstairs to one of the beauty rooms, I agreed on a deep facial & explained my main concern was getting rid of my irritating white & black heads especially around my nose area, the young therapist reassured me these would be removed. The facial treatment started & within a few minutes I'm totally relaxed & the therapist took her time in a professional way, very few words were spoken & that suited me fine !!! There's nothing more irritating than receiving treatment from a chatterbox especially when you visit your dentist !!!! I can't quite remember the total time of treatment maybe 60-90min's, afterwards my skin felt and looked 10 years younger, all the old deep pores were unblocked & I'm pleased with the results. Total cost USD $42.00 and felt it was worth every cent. Inside the main entrance you have what I describe a female fashion boutique. Overall a rewarding experience & visiting from Sydney Australia mens facials are much more common & a lot more expensive.
Thank you once again to the spa staff for making me so welcome.

Visited August 2013
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“A good, clean spa with proper massages and service, for tourists and expats alike.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Let me start by saying that, yes I am a European, but I have been living and working in Thailand and Cambodia for the past 4-5 years. As such, I'm not comparing this spa to what I would expect back home, but I'm comparing it to other spas I have been to both in Bangkok and Phnom Penh.

25 USD for an hour of Swedish massage is not cheap in Asia. And yes, it is a complete steal in Europe. I know other spas in Phnom Penh and Bangkok that are cheaper, but not necessarily as clean.

I do like Swasdee in Phnom Penh as well for a full body massage, but I don't like the rooms, which are dark and not too clean all the time. Their price is 23 USD for 90 minutes I think. They do a good massage, but I do prefer the cleaniness of the rooms at Amara.
I do like U&Me in Phnom Penh for a reflexology and neck massage, but not for full body.

I do like Healthland in Bangkok, who do a 90 minute massage for the same money, but the ladies there are of varying quality - given the size of the Healthland spas they easily have 30-40 masseuses working on any given day and it is hard to get a consistently good massage all the time.

At Amara you will get a different room for a Khmer style massage, which takes place on the ground, than for an aroma / Swedish massage, which take place on a bed. I do like the beds more and then you have your own room. Khmer massages take place in a bigger room where spaces are separated with curtains.
As such, I'd go for the aroma and Swedish massage in a private room.

Yes, for Phnom Penh, 25 USD is a lot of money. But how often do you go to a massage? Really.

Reading the other comments, I have to make some statements towards some of the things said by others:
- I think the management is nice and not in any way as bad as decribed;
- Yes, the floors are dimly lid to get an 'ambient atmosphere'. Look out where you step! And no, it is not dangerous if you're walking carefully and are not drunk;
- How the masseuses look does not matter. It's how they massage! Anyone commenting on the looks of the ladies is perhaps in the wrong place and looking for something else...

Also, the ladies who massaged me were kind and spoke a little English, which helps to explain where to massage a little more and how hard. Quite a number of other spas can be difficult wrt. explaining what you want, given the lack of English language skills...

And no, there is no 'hanky panky' here. If you are looking for that, don't go here, because you will be disappointed with a good massage and no 'special service'. Fortunately!

NOTE: The photo on the top with the grassy lawn is not a photo of the spa!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Dennis_Bours
Singapore, Singapore
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Dangerous place, ...........be CAREFUL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

Just don't understand why the entrance and lobby area of this place need to be dimly lit, especially at night when it get worse.
To make situation worse, you need to negotiate the places very carefully, upon entering this place, as there are many uneven ground with different ground level and steps.
The stairs/steps that lead you upstair for your massage are poorly lit, and that each step of staircase are of same colour, they don't differentiate, and if you are not careful, you will trip and fall. This happened to me. I went for foot massage, and end-up with a sprained ankle, and I am still recovering from it.
So if you don't want to hurt yourself, or die at this place. Avoid this place.
A spa is supposed to be a place for relaxation, and without getting yourself hurt.
Will give up going to this place, unless they improve the safety of this place and make sure guests are not hurt.
There are many other good spas in Phnom Penh.

Visited February 2013