“Very Poor stay and service”

NagaWorld Hotel & Entertainment Complex
Ranked #90 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Singapore, Singapore
“Very Poor stay and service”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

It takes a lot for me to speak poorly about a property, but from start to finish this propery did not deliver. We checked in and were put into the "Pool Wing" which according to one of the Front desk team was where the internet bookings are placed. We walked through the smokiest lobby I've ever seen, and made it to the "Pool wing", which by the way only had 1 lift that serviced 8 floors and their team members and the bell boys taking up luggage. We got into our room and there was an independant air con and the entire room wreaked of smoke so bad it was in the drapes, the bedding, everywhere. We went to the casino, which is basically old outdated slots and table limits on blackjack and baccarat that started at US $40. We got back to the room late and were woke up by what sounded like a jackhammer shaking the room and 7:30AM on a Saturday. I called the front desk and was advised there was some construction going on in the mornings until 4PM daily. She said there was an advisement in our room of this. First, I should have been told at check-in, not by a piece of paper saying sorry for the construction and it was inside the drawer not in veiw. 2nd, I wouldn't have checked in knowing this ahead of time and should have been told this before booking. Pretty shady on their part. I request to speak to a manager, and he says he will change my room. Same horrible wing, 1 floor up a few doors down. He insists I see it before I agree, I ask him 2 times that I just was woken up from sleep and didn't want to have to change and go up to look at the room. SImply wait until we get ready and leave (We didn't intend to get up until 10AM, it was a vacation, but up now at 7:30AM) then move our bags to the new room and we will move there once we get back. He said no and made me go to the new room. I meet him at the room, no greeting, go in and what do you you know, same exact room type I'm in now. I look at him and ask why I needed to see it, he said I'm required to verify. I only wanted to make sure the construction noise wasn't going to effect me again, he could have said yes or no to this without making me go look at the room. I'm not happy at this point and he says, just go get your bags and bring them up. I say, you want me to go get my bags and bring them up? He says yes, he will wait. I ask him if this is a 5 start property? He responds yes we are, I tell him that a 5 star property wouldn't have me move my own luggage when woken up by construction at 7:30AM in the morning. I said this rather forcefully and it seems a light bulb went off and he goes, I can have the bell come move for you. I tell him no thanks, will do it myself. I then proceed to go back to my room, both my wife and me take showers, pack up our luggage and get ready to move everything ourselves. A knock on the door, same guy from earlier, hands us 2 keys and leaves. Wow, I'm amazed he had the smarts to bring us the keys himself. We proceed to take our luggage of to our new room and again the smoke is overwhelming, it is literally as if someone is outside the door blowing smoke underneath, I am not joking. I'm an asthmatic, it was a horrible experience dealing with the smoke throughout this property.

One thing of note, in both rooms, we were only given 2 bath towels, no wash cloths or hand towels at all. This is 2 different floors in 2 different rooms so not sure what is going on with that. The air con in this room was horrible and at this point we wished we would have booked any other hotel. We go out for the entire day basically trying to avoid coming back to the property at all which makes for a horrible trip. Get back and the room is nice and warm and the aircon is really sad. But before getting to the room, we had to wait almost 20 minutes to get up the lift that had a group that just checked in what looked like 20 to 25 people in QUE. Because there is only 1 lift and everybody has to use it we had to stand there and wait which only added to the "experience".

We decided to stay in what was the lessor of the smoke filled areas which was our room, we ordered room service which was actually decent and went to bed. Very warm which made it uncomfortable and since deciding we would never ever come back to this property why make calls and complain when not many of the staff understood what the words service or recovery actually meant. We decided to see what the breakfast was like, and it was a ZOO. Not enough tables to handle all the people and the staff couldn't keep up and very dirty. We had a 6:20PM flight, tried to book something earlier but nothing to choose from. Checked out, took our own bags down as usual and while checking out the front desk asked us to fill out a comment card. I laughed and said no thanks, my wife decided to because we had plenty of time, 5 hours before our flight. She filled it out and obviously it wasn't very nice and we decided to go get something to eat and waste some time. The front desk person comes running to us and is pointing at the comment card. I actually think someone is about to show some concern, Nope, turns out the room number wasn't correct, wanted to make sure she had the right number on the card. Doesn't comment about the stay or what went wrong, smiled and went back to the front desk. Not once during our stay did anyone follow up or really try to make anything right and not once did we hear the word sorry. In addition, the "Pool Wing" we were in was incredibly worn down, carpet looked horrible, walls were stained, lift was dirty......

My expectations aren't very steep, we stayed in Siem Reap before and the 5 star ratings there are incredibly nice. Our fault for expected something similar here considering much bigger city and many more people. Basically we would never have booked it if their was any idea of the construction going on. We would have left the next morning if we could have and would never recommend this property. If you want to pay way to much for food, high table limits in the casino and leave with lung cancer this is your place. I recommend staying at a real 5 star property and jump in a taxi if you want to gamble.

Room Tip: If you have no other choice, avoid the "Pool Wing"
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicholas D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Hotel is a self sufficient entertainment city, with shopping, pubs, restaurants, spa, casino and lots more in it. You basically do not have to step out of the hotel unless for sight seeing. Hotel room is clean, bed is comfortable. Staffs are friendly but lack of communication in English, but with some sign language you should be able to get through. A/C is powerful and cold, breakfast has good spread. The city itself is not very big, therefore it is easy to get to attractions with tuk tuk ( local transport with cabin pulled by motocycle ). Just for your info, a 10 to 15 mins ride on tuk tuk cost around USD4/trip, just take it as every 5 mins is USD1. Must remember to negotiate pricing before stepping onto the vehicle, anything more just shake your head and walk away. The price is just for reference and according to my local counterpart, is consider expensive. But they are just making a living there, no point pressing to hard for just a few bucks as long as you feel is reasonable.

Room Tip: Get higher floor so that you can avoid the noisy lower floor entertainment outlets.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This is my second stay in NagaWorld Hotel.

The room given is located at 10th storey and is facing to Mekong river, which give me a nice view day and night. Room condition is clean and tidy. The only thing to comment is the hot water supply is not constant. Also, no WiFi available in room make me have to go down to lobby for internet access.

There is no air-con available at the lift lobby, perhaps due to their renovation works. Construction works are carried on in front of the hotel however doesn't affected much through out my stay (maybe too high floor as I am staying at 10th floor).

Casino is located at the first 2 levels without any blockage, lot of empty seat and free drinks is provided.

The breakfast is included, however the food I would rate it poor as most of the food is either tasteless or too salty. Also, some of the food label doesn't match to what it is, I would need to open one by one to see what is actually on the plate.

There is free shuttle bus to and from airport, the counter just located at the left hand side after you out from arrival terminal. Alternative, you may go for taxi or tuk tuk. Many drivers are waiting outside the hotel and will approach you once you step out from the building.

Although a bit costly but I would prefer to same hotel if I happen to travel Phnom Penh again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Babo1982
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We went specifically to Nagaworld because my friend wanted to try out the casino. Hence, I knew what to expect from a casino hotel. Upon arrival, I was pleasantly welcomed by a large flower arrangement & sweet fragrance. Beautiful flower arrangements were placed generously in the lobby area. The fragrance from the flowers really helped to subdue the cigarette smell.

Lobby was very busy, no sofa to seat on. I suppose this is the "casino hotel" part that is to be expected. The check-in was smooth.

I've requested for non-smoking room. The Premier room was spacious, modern & clean. Bed was 5* standard. Room was a bit dark though, needs better lighting. However, I was just happy that the room didn't have the smoke smell. However, the corridor, lift lobby were not smoke-free. I wonder if there's a smoke-free floor?

We ate at Pangea Fusion Restaurant for bfast & dinner. The pricing of the buffet is on the high side. Quality & the spread of food is at best 3*.

Pool was under renovation. Since I didn't gamble, there was nothing else that I could do in the hotel. So, non-gamblers - best not to stay here.

One thing that made my stay was the service of Ms Jan, concierge. She was always smiling & asking how was my day, how she can be of any help, etc. Thumbs up!

Room Tip: Construction for the new wing is taking place, so best to avoid Rooms x01-x25
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed in Nagaworld for the last 2 nights of my Cambodian trip. As it was an integrated casino-hotel we kinda knew not to expect too much on the service levels as such hotels usually places more emphasis on the entertainment than experience. Nonetheless, I felt that the service we got was way below what we expected, after we have been having wonderful experiences at the other nearby resorts.

During our check-in which was in the late afternoon, we were told that our room was not ready and that we had to wait one hour. After some complaining to the front desk manager, we got our room but wasn't what we had indicated (we bought a cityview room but we got a non-view room). That was fine with us, but the toilet had a dead cockroach which remained uncleared for the rest of our stay there (what happened to housekeeping??). And our aircon malfunctioned.

When we finally left the place, we realised we had left 3 items behind in our hotel room and emailed the hotel to check on Lost & Found - unfortunately, they claimed they didnt find any - after I emailed them twice to follow up following radio silence.

Foodwise - the morning buffet spread was pretty decent and will feature more regional cuisine for those who might not enjoy Cambodian food.

Entertainment - Good for those who does not want to venture out in the night. You can enjoy the performances at the main lobby area and participate in their lucky draws.

Room Tip: You might want to indicate a No Smoking room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The second I stepped into the hotel lobby, I was hit with a strong stench of cigarette smoke. It was very unpleasant having to smell the smoke every time we were in the lobby. There was a pretty unpleasant, subdued cigarette smell in the room as well. The carpet in the room was also dirty and stained.

Room size was pretty large. The bed was ok, but the pillow was a little too high to be comfortable, and there were no other choices. There's no wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby area, so that was quite an inconvenience.

The bathroom was reasonably clean, but for some reason, the hot water would run out mid-shower.

The staff were pretty friendly, but due to language barriers, I found it quite difficult to get any information from them.

The breakfast spread was pretty extensive, however I can't say much for the quality of the food.

Overall, the hotel seemed very cheap and class-less, and would be more suited for gamblers, as there is really no perks for anyone not looking to gamble. Might be better off somewhere else with more a pleasant ambience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Reviewed 16 August 2013

went there for the second time from the 12th to 16th august 2013.
I had an amazing stay and loved every minute of it.
The rooms are excellent, very big, well appointed with an amazing bed. I had a double bed for myself only and being 6'3, I could sleep lengthwise, widthwise....which ever way I wanted and I had an amazing sleep. They have amazing pillows too.
The hotel has lots of restaurant, some ok priced. some expensive but with great quality.
The breakfast has a lot of choice from asian, european styles....fantastic.

They have a huge casino in the lobby and it adds a special atmosphere. I do not gamble but enjoy seeing people enjoying themselves. They also have a live band in the hotel lobby.

The staff was amazing. Very polite, very well mannered and super nice with beautiful smiles.

I would advice this hotel to anyone visiting Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great but maybe ask for a room with a view on the river behind the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business