All reviews naga world huge casino new tower hotel room is breakfast spread duty manager business trip airport transfer tuk tuk the ground floor mekong river aeon mall royal palace ktv dollars riverside pp
Reviewed 17 February 2010

Decided to splash out a bit in Phnom Penh but got a great rate here of $96. The rooms were very large, massive beds, and a lovely bathroom, our room also had an amazing view of the river from the 10th floor. The breakfast was the best I've had in Cambodia and Thailand over the last month. The internet in the room was extremely fast so was a nice change to only wait a few minutes to upload photos etc.

The hotel has a casino (quite expensive) and is mainly targeted at Chinese tourists so the staff on reception don't speak very good English. However the managers of reception do so I'd save time by just asking for the manager to speak to - they sorted us out in about 30-seconds when we didn't think our bus pick-up was going to turn up!

Location is very good, just out of the hustle and bustle of the centre of the city but close enough to walk to the Grand Palace and the bars and restaurants on the riverside.

Date of stay: February 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I stayed here for four nights for work. I had never stayed there before and was OK with giving it a try. It was the closest big hotel to work.
It is hard to pinpoint exactly what I didn't like about it. It was big, impersonal, but I functioned OK. I was hoping for a swimming pool, as other hotels have, but there wasn't one.
The foyer has nice stone columns, but it is stark and functional and fundamentally it is a casino with accommodation. The Chinese sense of interior decorating is certainly for a market that excludes me.
My room would periodically smell of cigarette smoke and I traced it to the bathroom ventilation and there was not much I could do about it. The replenishment of water bottles was not frequent enough. Perhaps they could splash out on more than just two small bottles. Even the Goldiana is more generous with its bottled water!
The bed was OK, but it intrigues me as to why, in such a hot country, do they use quilts when a sheet was all that was necessary. This problem is not unique to this hotel as other bigger hotels in Phnom Penh and for that matter many other countries.
The breakfast for a barang like me, could have had a better cereals or mueslis. Other hotels do a better breakfast than this one. The coffee was pretty bitter, but the omelettes are good. The decorations in the breakfast/dining room was non-existent. A few potted plants could have gone a long way to making it not so bare and canteen like.
Also, there is no swimming pool. I don't think there is a gym and I doubt that there is a doctor/medical centre or a business centre.
Other than breakfast we didn't eat there. One of my work colleagues enjoyed the casino part.
The free broadband was good and worked well.
All these complaints are very petty, but when I know that there are other hotels that do it better, it all contributes to decision making time. Next time I will go back to the Himawari or even the Cambodiana.

Date of stay: February 2010