“Very good only compared to the first horrid guesthouse i stayed PP...”
Review of Le Cyclo

Le Cyclo
Ranked #112 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Very good only compared to the first horrid guesthouse i stayed PP...”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was very happy with the room i was given as it was with a balcony and views on a temple, being quite high up the view was great. The room was spacious and clean, the bathroom adequate. The only problems were privacy as the room was just below the jaccuzzi which was dirty when i arrived...but also the comings and goings of people on their way to the roof top!I had a terrible experience in another guesthouse, truly appalling so to me the difference makes my perception/opinion a bit biased. It was a palace compared to the other one... Saying that i do agree with few reviews that i didn't feel comfortable (and i am french!).with the staff in general and to me they are working the 'Khmer' way as i call it....:( I had health problems while there and while the manageress addressed the issue efficiently she wasn't that sympathetic. Staff at the bar, 2 girls are not up to scratch and not pleasant at all. The breakfast was very expensive considering.. I had to come back to PP few weeks later, they kept my suitcase when i went down to the coast which was kind but i had booked the same room and got a very different one on my return. When i arrived after 12 30 am i was told that the person in my room hadn't checked out yet and they didn't know if he was leaving or not so to go for a walk and come back later!!!! The last room i was given was right at the top with steps which frankly were dangerous. The next morning i didn't have the strength to go down for breakfast so had to make do with an horrid lipton tea from the mini bar (again over priced). I got charged when i left for a couple of breakfasts non justified as i was paying by the day... I realize this is a mixed review, all in all i was just very lucky to have the corner room for most of my stay but as i said apart from the cleaning ladies and a couple of other staff i wasn't impressed by the atmosphere, i just felt uncomfortable...The bar staff was very unfriendly, was dreading to go down for my coffee in the morning (no telephone in the room). I also felt a slight resentment from management that i didn't eat in the restaurant! Sorry i'm in Cambodia so Khmer food!
Bottom line it is slightly overpriced mostly on the breakfast and if i was to ever go back to PP i probably wouldn't want to stay there... To finish on a positive note it is a great location.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony and get your breakfast/food somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank chocolatnoir2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sakon Nakhon, Thailand
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Sorry for the length of this review... My stay was a disaster from the start.

1 week before arrival I emailed the hotel to confirm that I and my fellow traveller were still coming as planned and that we still required the 2 suites that I had booked through Agoda and for which I had the paid voucher for. I did this as I had read, after making my booking, about the hotel not honouring a voucher in another case. I received no reply. That should have heeded the warning sign.

On arrival, we were told that only one suite was available but we could choose from either of 2 doubles that had been set aside for us. When I asked why the second suite was not available I was told that the 'manager' had thought we would not need 2 suites. The other suite, as it turns out, was being used by the manager's family.

The suite was a strange layout. The main bedroom area has a very high ceiling and was equipped with aircon and ceiling fan which, between them, barely managed to keep the room comfortable. The main bathroom and toilet area was below the upstairs bedroom. These two levels were packed into the main room height and it is not the height of 2 floors. The outcome is the bathroom area ceiling is at a height which would only be comfortable to people with a standing height of 5' 6" or less (I am 6' 4"). The upstairs bedroom ceiling is even lower. The railings on the bedroom mezzanine where constructed from steel wire but the fixings in the wall had pulled out and the steel wire hung slack. Very dangerous

Storage in the room comprised a single wardrobe/drawer unit containing just 2 hangers. Some of the doors and drawers were lockable.

The main entrance to the room was from the balcony running around the front of the hotel. There was a second door which appeared to lead into the interior of the hotel. I had no key for this door but there was a bolt on the inside. I bolted the door a number of times but without fail, everyday on my return it would be unbolted. I believe the housekeeping staff were coming in from the balcony and leaving by the interior door which was then left unbolted. Why is this important? because I was ROBBED!!

Returning to my room late one evening I discovered my phone and camera were missing from a locked cupboard. The lock on the cupboard had been forced and the phone and camera which had been placed on a shelf had gone. The interior door was un-bolted. I reported this to the on site manager in the morning and the reaction was less than helpful. She felt that she first had to speak to her manager in France but couldn't do this until 2pm when the French manager would be awake. Too little weight was given to my comments about the interior door and the response was that this had hardly ever ever happened at the hotel before and as there was nothing wrong with the lock on the main room door they wouldn't take any responsibility. Items like this can be replaced on insurance and I never accepted full compensation from the hotel but in my opinion it is highly likely that the theft was made possible by the acts and omissions of the hotel staff if not, perpetrated by them. All the time the attitude of front of house was to intimate that it was my fault. They even, when I spent a night out of the hotel to visit Siam Reap, dared to suggest that they couldn't trust me and I might be doing a runner and were reluctant to return the items I had left in the hotel manager's safe. I had pre-paid and because of the room change and reduced charge they owed money to me and my fellow traveller! Their attitude stinks big time!!

Another thought if you are still considering booking this hotel is the criminally unsafe overnight security methods. After hours, there are big steel doors/grill drawn closed in the front of the hotel. They are PADLOCKED shut. When using the doors at night we had to WAKE the sleeping watchman to unlock the doors.

If you value your life or valuables do not stay here.

Room Tip: I didn't see enough of the rooms to make a comparison but the suite I stayed in (14 I think, on...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Andy P

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stay away around 100 nights per year and very rarely write a review. This hotel really needs to be named and shamed.
Room - I booked and paid over a month in advance for a suite and when I arrived they had some family in my room and shoved me in a very small room on the top floor (no lifts).
Air Con - I had to report it three times before it was fixed, most of the week I had none.
Towels - I have thrown away better!
Bed - No mattress protector which is standard in most hotels. The room also smelled damp all week.
Safe - No safe in the room which and the excuse was that a previous employee had the codes to all the safes and robbed them.
Water - It rained on the last night and a few of my clothes that were touching the floor got soaked. I had to pack damp items in to my luggage as no time to dry them.
Front Door Locked - I was horrified to see that the only exit to the hotel is padlocked every night from the inside, a member of staff sleeps in the hallway to let guests back in but in case of a fire we could have all fried. Surely a bolt would suffice, that way no one needs to find keys in a hurry.
The biggest disappointment was the attitude of the female owner who was very dismissive and passed everything to her poor staff to take flack for.
If you decide to stay at this hotel make sure you lower your expectations! The location is good and the staff are friendly. The chef makes a good plain omelette.

Room Tip: Go for a lower floor as the stairs are steep!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Airey A
Montreal
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed a few nights at the Cyclo hotel. The room was clean and functional.
The food was good, the staff very helpful and friendly.
There is a really nice lounging area on the roof.
If I can suggest, you are better off booking directly through the hotel than on hotel booking sites, it was much cheaper.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are a high climb up the stairs. If you have week knees, you should ask for a lower...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here just after new year. We loved it. The room was clean and comfortable. The only bad thing about the room was that there was no soap to wash hands in the bathroom. And one of the doors to the room was only locked by a small bolt. The food is really good. Staff were fairly friendly. Very central location. I would recommend it and I would go back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here with three friends over a holiday in Cambodia. We got the "family suite", which consisted of a large lower level with a couch, bed, and bathroom and another lofted bed and bathroom on a second level. Big space, and lots of bathrooms (which were re-done recently). Nothing fantastic about this place though. Location was pretty good for the National Museum, palace, and about a 10 minute walk to the river.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Padangbai, Indonesia
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I was staying in the hotel next door and wandered into this place for a coffee.
For the next 10 days I ate at least one meal there a day!
The french, very french chef is superb.
The food is faultless, Confit de Canard so tender that it falls off the bone served with apple sauce. Boeuf Bourguignon that explodes with taste. D'échine de porc from pigs raised in the chefs friends farm. Assiette de charcuterie with some of the best Pate I have ever eaten.
It reminds me of those little Bistros in France with a passionate chef that used to be so easy to find in France and are now so rare.
The restaurant is on the corner of 172 street and has a lovely terrace for dining or just drinking coffee and munching on daisy fresh croissants and pain au chocolate.
Free WiFi and very friendly owners and Khmer staff .. if you speak french you will have a lot of fun with the friendly local french expats.. I don't and I still did!
Incredible value for money.. I will return!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business