“Good restaurant abominable overpriced accommodation”
Review of Nordic House

Nordic House
Ranked #111 of 317 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
“Good restaurant abominable overpriced accommodation”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Ive visited Phnom Penh on several occasions over the years and the Nordic house was one of a number of restaurants I used to frequent where the western food is authentic , reasonably priced and up to a very decent standard
I was on an extended stay this time round so I thought I'd give the accommodation a go. I only took the cheap $12 per night option , stayed in room 10. You don't notice the faults until you actually stay in a place , I had to take the toilet lid of to flush the toilet every time.After the first night no more toilet paper was provided ( I stayed 3 nights) The rickety bed base made out of cheap rotten plywood collapsed when I sat on the bed. The room was depressingly claustrophobic due to the design and the installation of a bathroom. There was no tv in the room and in the evening the music was deafening as Nordic house is sandwiched between two very noisy all night bars. The whole place is in a state of decay and neglect and I thought about how awful it must be to go to prison and stay in a similar environment.
There are dozens of superior alternatives in PP for about $15 a night so why pay to stay in what must be one of the most depressing joints in the city for $12. To be honest I'd even pay not to stay there.
The positives were a good A/C system that was efficient and quiet and the Cambodian staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank Informatio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We had a very pleasant stay in Nordic House. We were in one of the rather small rooms facing onto the back alley. We did find the room very small but the bed was big and very comfortable. Everything was very clean though especially the sheets. We found the location brilliant for exploring PP and was great value, they even did our laundry for free.
No rooster related noise problems as commented on in some other reviews, there was some construction noise during the day time but this always fell silent in the evening.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I was staying there 5 days in july after moving a couple of times from other hotels close by. Reason was the kind Norvegian manager and the Scandinavian food, I am Norwegian and have been staying a lot in Thailand. To eat the Norwegian meat balls, potato ang gravy was like heaven to me, same with the lamb dinner. I must admit I eat there 4 nights........ When I first checked in I got room number 12 (3 floor)where the manager told me it is not finished yet, because it has a BIG balcony area where he is planning to make it like a working area with table, hammock ,flowers, greenery etc. And it will have a kitchen corner inside, where you can make your own food etc. So later it will suit people who stay longer, working, writing etc. But for me I had some problems with sleeping when the ladyboys outside made it to the street about 3am.... So next day I canged room to the back, very quiet apart from the crazy rooster at 5am every day. The room was quite small, but everything clean, and the shower, aircon was working well. The staff very helpful and nice. Maybee for room 12, changing the window from asian to scandinavian type will solve all noisy problems, or wear earplugs (I not like)

arild

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Colombia, S.A.
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I had taken a card to this place the last time I was in Phnom Penh and decided to try something new. The restaurant downstairs was always full and did serve good food, but that's where the good to this place ends. I checked into one room where the noise was obscene, from the back alley neighbors yelling and boozing it up all night to the pair of talking roosters (yes, in the middle of the city) sounding off at 4 in the morning - every morning.
I was moved to a different room, where the Air Con was broken. As I sat in my room I was soaking wet from sweat. I told the manager, where he moved me again to a different room, back to the side where the roosters were going nuts at 4 am again, as well as the drunks all night.
I was moved again to a decent room, finally, but after the manager began insulting me after I simply asked him if there was a cinema in town ("if you want American movie, go to america, this is cambodia", among other mouthing off about me needing to be moved so many times)I moved out of that hotel, something I should have done after the first move.
Bottom line, there are WAY better options than this place - don't waste your time here-simply not worth it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank inspectorjavert70

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Dubai
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Disclaimer first: I did not stay in this hotel but couldn't find a way to only review the restaurant.

During my 4 nights in Phnom Penh, this was my regular breakfast, lunch and dinner place. Absolutely great Scandinavian food for very reasonable prices (slightly pricier than the local food, mainly due to imported special food). Had the large breakfast one morning, was absolutely massive even for me. Owner really nice as well as the new manager. Not sure about the rooms, but if you're looking for a place to eat nice and relax in a central location, this is it!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I had a very enjoyable stay at Nordic House. The room was clean, quiet and the bed was big and comfortable. It's right in the heart of the action, by the riverside and amongst the bars and restuarants in Phnom Penh - you couldn't ask for a better location.
The food there is good too, though sadly not included in the price.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Sarah C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Stayed for 3 nights during Janauary 2010 in this nice guesthouse. The room was small with a wetroom / toilet but decently priced at $15. Bed was comfy and there was a TV although zero view. Laundry services was provided for free which was a nice surprise. The owner and staff are all very helpful. Resturant food was ok. Location is great on the riverside and the royal palace is within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple