“I wouldnt Bother Again” 2 of 5 bubbles

Malis Cambodian Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 1,386 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood, Asian, Cambodian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Malis is a landmark restaurant that has long enjoyed a reputation for pushing the boundaries of fusion food with traditional, original and new age Cambodian cuisine. With capacious seating and four VIP rooms set in a courtyard around a fountain, it is undeniably the capital's premier gourmet dining experience. Its busy kitchen is home to Luu Meng, Cambodia's only masterchef, whose artfully prepared dishes have graced tables around the world.
Mannheim, Germany
“I wouldnt Bother Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have a rule in asia '' Do not go to high end restaurants they disappoint" Sometimes I break it as out 1st choice restaurant was hit and so I said lets go here its meant to be the top Khmer restaurant in town (Lonely Planet although how they know I have no idea). The place was quite full but they did find us a table on a terrace over looking the main dining area. The bottom line is that the food is expensive. We had tuna curry and chicken curry and a smoked fish salad. Quite a lot of veg in the curry if you like aubergine the chicken was average the tuna OK but you should be able to buy this for 3-4$ anywhere else. They even charged for steamed rice come on now who charges for rice in cambodia. For some reason the menu prices are quoted without the 10% sales tax (5pt ariel in very pale grey on the bottom of the menu). It stikes me this is a place for rich cambodians to come and show off by throwing their money around because the food is average and I can say that after travelling in cambodia for 3 weeks. The setting of the place is nice around water but I would give it a miss and would not recommend it

• Visited November 2013

• Thai first
Phnom Penh, Phnum Penh, Cambodia
“Overall bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Had high hopes for this visit given its write ups around the traps but it was overwhelming underwhelming.

For a restaurant touted at the cutting edge of Kmai cusine its signature dishes were at best, the equal of many dishes i eat for a dollar on the street. The fish amok for one was like any amok you would get out on the street.

Also when we asked for rice they would bring out the rice, dish out small portions to each person and not leave the rice on the table. This for one was impractical in that we had to ask everytime we wanted rice and also smacks of being tight. Just leave the rice on the table.

If the food was amazing you can always overlook somethings, you see it as a bit of good and a bit of bad and give it a second chance. This wasn't the case with Malis. We won't be returning.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank ByronDavy
Phnom Pen, Phnum Penh, Cambodia
“Decent high-end Khmer food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Having been there twice with friends and family, always got served well. Have tried lunch set menu and dinner, both amazing.
If you want to have decent high-end Khmer food here is the place in town.

Visited October 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Top restaurant in Phnom Penh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

When asking for some advice for a dinner, a local staff recommended this restaurant for me and my friends. I have to admit it was a good choice. The food lived up to my expectation. Local meals are in western decoration. The atmosphere is charming and colorful. I wont hesitate to visit back as coming Phnom Penh again.
But, remember to book in advance for a perfect dinner w friends or partners.

Visited February 2013
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Second time Malis has left me down.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Second time Malis has left me down (on my second visit)
There are not many other options inviting business partners to Cambodian food.
My first visit was only two of us; food uninspiring, service attentive. But more disappointing was the condition of the venue an facilities, grubby, dirty napkins, torn table cloths etc.
Second visit we where a group of 20. Uninspiring private room, tasteless food, cold, extremely slow & untrained service, most menu items are not traditional from Cambodia but Chinese or western adapted.
We all were disappointed, I had to apologize.
Sorry master Chef, won’t patronize so soon again.

• Visited October 2013