“Great food”

Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: Cambodian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Malis is a landmark restaurant that has long enjoyed a reputation for pushing the boundaries of fusion food with traditional, original and new age Cambodian cuisine. With capacious seating and four VIP rooms set in a courtyard around a fountain, it is undeniably the capital's premier gourmet dining experience. Its busy kitchen is home to Luu Meng, Cambodia's only masterchef, whose artfully prepared dishes have graced tables around the world.
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We had a fine dinning at Malis. It was set in a quiet garden. My first impression was the great menu with many selection and the food was mixed of Thai and Khmer cuisine. Its so interesting. We had ordered Curry Chicken and Kampot pepper crab, they were delicious. The service was friendly and professional and the price was reasonable. High recommend !

Write a ReviewReviews (2,714)

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Our hotel recommended this restaurant for dinner. We had a nice table outside, close to the little pond. Service was kind and attentive. As a starter I had scallops with a nice vegetables salsa. As a main course I chose the steamed king prawns with garlic. This turned out to be a good combination in terms of volume, as the portion of the starter was quite large (5 pieces), and the main a bit smaller (4 pieces). We had a nice bottle of white french wine. And as dessert I had coconut jelly which I really liked. Our bill showed a total of 110 USD (two people).

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have a rule in asia '' Do not go to high end restaurants they disappoint" Sometimes I break it as out 1st choice restaurant was hit and so I said lets go here its meant to be the top Khmer restaurant in town (Lonely Planet although how they know I have no idea). The place was quite full but they did find us a table on a terrace over looking the main dining area. The bottom line is that the food is expensive. We had tuna curry and chicken curry and a smoked fish salad. Quite a lot of veg in the curry if you like aubergine the chicken was average the tuna OK but you should be able to buy this for 3-4$ anywhere else. They even charged for steamed rice come on now who charges for rice in cambodia. For some reason the menu prices are quoted without the 10% sales tax (5pt ariel in very pale grey on the bottom of the menu). It stikes me this is a place for rich cambodians to come and show off by throwing their money around because the food is average and I can say that after travelling in cambodia for 3 weeks. The setting of the place is nice around water but I would give it a miss and would not recommend it

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Had high hopes for this visit given its write ups around the traps but it was overwhelming underwhelming.

For a restaurant touted at the cutting edge of Kmai cusine its signature dishes were at best, the equal of many dishes i eat for a dollar on the street. The fish amok for one was like any amok you would get out on the street.

Also when we asked for rice they would bring out the rice, dish out small portions to each person and not leave the rice on the table. This for one was impractical in that we had to ask everytime we wanted rice and also smacks of being tight. Just leave the rice on the table.

If the food was amazing you can always overlook somethings, you see it as a bit of good and a bit of bad and give it a second chance. This wasn't the case with Malis. We won't be returning.

1  Thank ByronDavy
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Having been there twice with friends and family, always got served well. Have tried lunch set menu and dinner, both amazing.
If you want to have decent high-end Khmer food here is the place in town.