“Little well kept gem”
Review of Kambuja Inn

Kambuja Inn
Ranked #80 of 334 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I moved here after cutting back my stay at the Silver River Hotel and was very very glad I did so. Kambuja Inn is less than 500 meters from the Silver River Inn but it feels like it is in a completely different area. The street outside is clean, not too many shops, less busy but mostly importantly the hotels is what it states it is. It is small and intimate and the staff make you feel at home right from the start. I think this hotel is a converted villa and therefore feels more homey. The room is large and so is the bathroom. While the room decor is not the latest, and I liked it that way because it didn't feel commercialized and cheap, it offered all the amenities. The TV was a little dated but I didn't care because it wasn't in the way and I never turn it on anyways. The staff was very attentive and helpful. They guided me well and even setup my bus trip to Saigon immediately. At night they shutter the front and it feels safe because there is a guard who is right there. This is unlike the other hotel where sleaze was walking in and out. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank R S

Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was a great place to stay, so much character and amazing wall hangings, pottery etc We had an enormous suite upstairs, kitchen, dining room, bedroom with lounge area, large bathroom ( although that was somewhat old fashioned ) the nicest room we've stayed in for many years and all for $40. ( probably expensive by Cambodian standards!!) And the staff were very nice and helpful. The only drawback was the street it was in, very run down and full of garbage

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnDiana
Reviewed 29 July 2013

In PP this is the place I like to stay. The staf is great and rooms are good. It can be busy so book early. Rooms up-starirs are much better. Try to be home by 11 pm as the doors are locked and you will have to wake the night watchman

Room Tip: Up-stairs rooms are brighter
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Australiamac
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I spent a peaceful night here as a retreat from everyday life of living in PP. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was small but well equipped. Very clean. Facilities worked well. Short walk to great eating spots, book store, cafes, shopping. A beautiful building with a number of nooks to read and relax, with leafy plants and water features.

Construction across the road made breakfast noisy (the dining area fronts onto the street).

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I prefer a room with natural light - my room was on the ground floor with windows onto a small court...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2013

small but Great place, located in small old street in the centre of the old city with lot of resturants
special for backpackers clean and helpful young staff BUT can be Noisy on te street.
rooms are big and witn AC

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I really wanted to be completely satisfied with my stay here. I loved everything about this place and the old style building. However, my partner and l barely slept at all as the air con is very noisy and the noise from the street- motorbikes etc is loud. We came to realize that if you choose an old style building that does not have double glazing and you are staying centrally in an Asian city you will hear a lot of street noise. We were on the ground floor courtyard so l do not know if there are noise issues with other floors/rooms.

Room Tip: Bare in mind noise!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2013

The staff here are the most welcoming I've encountered. They have the most genuine smiles which made my first visit to Phnom Penh magical. They are also service-oriented. The nice lady suggested I can stay in my room again (after check-out) to enjoy air conditioning before my ride to the bus terminal arrived.

Rooms are rustic. Charming interiors of the hotel add to the appeal. The rooms have tall ceilings, of which was too tall for a solo traveller like myself. There was a minor problem with a leak on the ceiling of my bathroom of which the staff was quick to suggest another room. I loved my room so much I didn't want to move to another one.

Breakfast was simple but great. I loved the fresh fruits.

Only con is that although the inn is a few steps away from the riverside and palace, dodging busy Phnom Penh traffic to get to the other side can be challenging. The staff would be happy to assist in booking a tuktuk for you.

Also, there's a tuktuk driver who offers his services to you non-stop in front of the hotel. I gave in and acquired his services for my Killing Fields tour and other transport needs within PP. He's okay. He's almost an add-on to the Kambuja Inn.

Lovely place and awesome staff. I hope they get to read how happy they made my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013