“Ok for 1 or 2 nights”
Review of City Centre Hotel

City Centre Hotel
Ranked #99 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We spent just 1 night in the hotel, so me and my friend just took a standard room, it was OK but really small. But otherwise clean and all.
The little problem we had was that there were no safe on the room and to have wifi in the room you have to paye. An other thing we didn't like, no windows inside the room, so it´s quit oppressive. The location is nice (in the center), and recepcionist are nice.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Emma B

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night. Booked a budget double online but on arrival they said they were fully booked so they had upgraded us to a deluxe double (no extra charge) which was a nice surprise! There was a lift thankfully as the stairs are narrow and there are a lot of them! Room was clean and spacious. Bed was comfy. There was soap and toothbrushes provided aswell as towels. Wifi was good and there was a computer in the room that you could use for $5 for 24 hours. Shower was enclosed, a luxury- the first one we had on our travels! Central location. Would recommend for any stay in PP.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ola P
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel is a decent location in between the river front and central market. Our room was small but well furnished with modern furniture. The bathroom had an enclosed shower which is always a bonus. The room was cleaned every day with fresh towels, toiletries and bottled water provided. The staff were friendly even recommending that we take our laundry across the road because it was significantly cheaper and when we asked to extend our stay they again recommended booking online because it was half the price. The only real downsides with the room were that the air con drain was leaking meaning that the paint work was peeling off the wall making it mouldy and breakfast wasn't included but we have stayed in a lot worse places in Cambodia for a similar price.

Room Tip: Book online don't just walk in because it costs double. Weird but true.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gav1882
Reviewed 28 May 2014

For the price, I'm satisfied with what I'm getting. What I like about the hotel:
For the price I'm paying, it is acceptable, with clean sheets everyday. It is near to the main attractions, with lots of eateries nearby. The staff speaks good English and are very helpful.
Outside the hotel are many tuk tuks that can bring you to any place for $2 to $4. Phnom Penh city is not that big. But a word of caution....please make sure tell them exactly where you want to go. Don't ever think that they will not charge you for a small diversion...no, they will ask to to pay at the end of the trip.
However, I would strongly recommend a tuk tuk driver called Penh. A very trustworthy and dependable person. When he says that he will pick you up, he will, even when he has to go through a heavy jam to pick you. We were a group of 14 and he would help us to find and negotiate with other drivers.
He can be reached at 077 421 630. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to attached a photo of Mr Penh.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Edward C
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My name's ALand. I have been staying room 206 at City Centre Hotel on 23/May/2014 till 26/May/2014. while my nurse examination start at 25/May/2014. I don't have a lots of money to pay for the accomodation at Hotel, but my friend that work as accountant at City Centre Hotel told and explain to me that "please, come to stay at my Hotel! because this location in the city town easy to visit any places like central market, night market, Soriya super market, Wat Phnom, Royal palace by tuk tuk or walking and easy to find something to eat you also can test with the many kind of favoite food or cake. the first i feel not good when i pay 1 day of room price, but everything ok after i sleep one day. and i booking other room for my friends too. I hope to stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kimlenh H
Reviewed 22 May 2014

"The rooms here are the same as pictures of beautiful women," the reception manager tells us.
"They look great in the photos, but when you look up close they're not so beautiful."
Beyond the blatant sexism, this statement is a flippant, ungracious excuse for "creative" false advertising.
The rooms are very, very small.
Safes are not located in all rooms (instead there are lockers at reception).
"City views" is an ambitious stretch of what the pokey window frames.
The location is very good, but in reality, the city is saturated with hotels. The location is not unique or exceptional.
The rooms are comfortable, and air conditioning is good.
It's not all doom and gloom, but their excuses for the photo/reality disparity (of which I've mentioned just one) are totally unacceptable.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Daniel_Ngoc
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have stayed in the Phnom Penh City Centre because of the Trip Advisors users’ recommendations. There is a really nice reception giving the hint of the 70s’ orient atmosphere. But no need to worry, it is a safe place now. And as I carried on living in the hotel for three nights, I did not have many suggestions for the staff to make me feel welcome.
But I have some for the owner. Please, clean up windows outside. I know the safety is the issue but if you put some secure windows, you don’t need to keep those nasty bars, which prevent anyone not only from entering the room from outside but also from cleaning those filthy windowsills. Another thing, smoking was apparently prohibited in my room but me and especially my girlfriend could feel the stench of walls and furniture permeated with cigarette smoke.
The prices in the bar could be adjusted to the location, competition and prices of the room itself. It is not exactly an upscale hotel and $3.50 for a tiny glass of wine is far from being a bargain in Phnom Penh. As for breakfast, it was very nice but drinks should be unlimited. I have order an espresso, which was included and then a mug of tea, which cost me $2.50, same price as in UK. OJ, tea, brewed coffee, water etc. should be unlimited and extras such as an espresso or cappuccino could be served at an additional charge. Most of people drink more than one drink with their breakfast in the hotel.
My girlfriend, who is Cambodian, was a bit upset when she was asked for a passport when entering the hotel on our third day of stay. You should not discriminate anyone, especially own people.
For more practical points, toiletries were sufficient, no security deposit but reception staff was happy to keep our possessions behind the reception, fairly quick elevator, coffee and tea facilities with sugars and tea bags refilled everyday as well as the water, good air con, relatively quiet rooms. Poor minibar, I think there was just water, OK shower, inside rooms were clean and towel changed every day.
However, generally the hotel was good for the price we have paid. I am satisfied.

Room Tip: Just across the street there is a laundry shop twice as cheap as the hotels', next to the hotel...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple