“close to the river”

Ohana Phnom Penh Palace Hotel
Ranked #52 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We spent 3 nights at this hotel on our first visit to Cambodia.Great location near the river ,palace,and museum . Our room was large and well appointed with a balcony overlooking the river and market.Unfortunately the bathroom was a little smelly at times but otherwise clean and at the time they were working on the room next door.Buffet breakfast was average but plentiful.A bonus was the good sized swimming pool which was a treat after sight-seeing .Lots of shopping and resturants bars nearby.Good views from top of hotel.Staff were friendly and helpful.ATM in foyer which was handy and tuk-tuks outside front door A well situated and comfortable hotel

Room Tip: we had a room overlooking market and river could be a little noisy at times but this is a huge busy...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen P

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is a good lesson never to judge a book by its cover.

Upon arriving in this part of Phnom Penh, I wondered what this hotel would be like. The city is a rough and tough town and does not have the polish of many other Asian destinations. And the hotel fronts onto a noisy, busy street with the huge markets only metres away.

While I was shown to a nice street-facing room with a big balcony, I immediately insisted on a room at the back of the property, fearing the worst of a constant flow of noise with traffic throughout the night. The staff at the desk very politely promised the street was quiet by 10pm, but I could not be convinced. More fool me, as it turned out.

After dinner when returning to the hotel, the street was indeed quiet and this clean, friendly and well-appoinmted hotel was a welcome sight after some of the adventures I had on the streets of the city. No matter - the room at the back was great, just not as luxurious,

So, what is the hotel like? It is not fancy, but it is great and I would stay there again in a minute. It is clean, comfortable, safe and the staff are - for the most part - terrific. And there is a very nice pool too. This was an easy place to stay

Only two things the management might want to address.
In the breakfast room on the first morning, when I asked for an omelette (this was 8.30am), I was told the chef had finished. This is despite breakfast being until 10am, and the fact I had just watched another guest have an omelette made. Chef obviously just did not want to bother. Next morning was a different story so I am not sure what happened there.

The lock on my security box in my room was broken. I asked five times to get someone to fix it but it was not done. On the second day on my sixth request, I just stayed at the front desk until a maintenance staff member appeared and came to fix it.

One tip of advice - just go straight to the hotel website or any of the hotel booking sites to grab a room here. Why the travel agent charged me $55 per night more than the hotel or any of the travel sites for the exact same room remains a mystery.

Room Tip: Don't panic by the look of the street during the day. It does get very quiet at night. But the r...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EasytravelSydney
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here from the 15th July until the 17th July. The hotel came recommended and it certainly lived up to the recommendation. Our room overlooked the market which was pretty noisy from about 5am onwards but we still managed to get a good night sleep. Staff were pretty good and eager to help book tours etc. we ended up booking our tours at a travel agent on the riverside road as it was a bit cheaper. Breakfast upstairs on the roof was good. Decent selection of food and plenty of tables. Overall we had an enjoyable stay at the Ohana and would recommend this hotel to others considering a visit to Phnom Penh.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Nice and clean hotel with a great and convenient location, rooms were nicely presented and the staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was very average, overall I enjoyed staying at the ohana and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a great location.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My friend and I stayed 2 nights here. We had pre-paid for our room and had no difficulty checking in. Our room was large, clean and very comfortable. The beds were large and despite being on the harder side, comfortable.

The location is right next to Kandal Market, but we couldn't hear any noise from it. In addition, the hotel is a short walk away from the Foreign Correspondents Club, day spas, coffee shops and silver shops.

The breakfast buffet was average to nice depending on the day.

The staff were friendly, helpful and kept the hotel clean.

Would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed at Ohana for 3 nights and really enjoyed it we asked for a balcony pool view room which you can have one or the other so we choice the pool view whick was nice. The balcony rooms look ok but are looking straight over a small busy road which the markets start very early in the mornings. Our room was large and had everything you need and the staff are very helpful. Its central to everything and location is right on the riverside, heaps of restaurants and bars at your door step. The breakfast was good heaps to choice from would stay there again good hotel for the price you pay

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great hotel in an very central location. Not exactly as advertised but still well worth staying. A few steps from the riverfront, close to markets and the staff are friendly and helpful. The waterfront was abundant in restaurants and bars which all were inexpensive and clean. The breakfast at the hotel had a great choice of dishes that varied each day. Overall a very good value place to stay. Congratulations to the Staff.

Room Tip: Most of the balcony rooms are over the street which is ok but the smell from the markets could be of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends