“a broken hotel in so many ways !”
Review of Royal Inn

Royal Inn
Ranked #140 of 277 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I feel bad that we chose price over the quality for our vacation in what I consider to be a dump of a hotel. Almost everything is broken at this hotel. We arranged an airport pickup through the hotel and the car did not show. They gave us the wrong key to our room and we walked in on other people. The door of our actual room is broken and needs constant jimmying to open and close; how annoying ! We gave the hotel staff local phone numbers to dial for us and they told us our phone numbers were no good... however, when I dial the same number on skype I get through just fine. Also, the photos of the rooms in their website are far different then our actual room; you would think it was a different hotel entirely! The wifi rarely worked and required constant phone calls to the staff to get working. The hotel would not accept my credit card to charge for a $12 taxi to the airport. They said the minimum charge was $15. Need I go on ?? I think you get the idea. It was simply an exhausting experience being in this hotel and I will never compromise again to stay at a cheap hotel in order to get a deal. It simply took away from our vacation experience; why even go on vacation if you stay at a hotel like this. Just stay home and be happy !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The thing that let's it down was the wifi which was on and off the whole time, and was really weak in our bedroom. The room was nice, and not noisy at all. The bathroom did smell of sewage when the shower is run, and the floor under the sink had marks on that weren't cleaned the entire 5 days we were there. Breakfast was good, but its a shame you have to pay a whole $5 more for a full English. It's a 15-20 minute walk into town. It's not that bad although it is dark at night. But you can get a tuk tuk as they're everywhere. Overall, it was a comfortable stay and we'd go again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The royal inn is fantastic, especially considering the price. it's literally a two minute walk from the massive nagaworld, but way cheaper. the staff is awesome, great english ability. the whole place is beautiful. great bathrooms. excellent showers. very responsive to inquiries.

Room Tip: Room in front side with balcony with city view so lovely
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel in March 2014, check in was quick friendly and efficient.
I had booked the roof top suite which comprised of a good sized lounge area with 2 sofas TV wardrobe and room safe, through this to the bedroom which was also a good size with a 4 poster bed and a long narrow bathroom off it consisting of hand basin toilet and shower (so if you like a soak in the tub it's not for you). There was plenty of hot water availabe in the shower at all times of the day.
Plus points for this property were very good size/standard of accomodation for the price paid. Easy to find location for taxis and tuk tuks, proximity to some good street food and a couple of restaurants, rooftop terrace restaurant/bar which was very pleasant when it was open (it was not open for the first 2 nights of my 5 night stay as it was the barmans days off)! Area quiet late evening/night time.
Negatives, kettle supplied in the room did not have a long enough lead to be used in any of the sockets (fortunately I had packed my own travel kettle) sofas in the lounge were a bit on the worn side small occasional table in the bedroom was broken. Internet was very slow, breakfast adequate but limited (OK for the price paid to be fair.)
The hotel is in a street with a lot of massage establishments which could give you the feeling that it is a 'red light' area however following reccomendations from the hotel staff I tried 2 of these establishments and enjoyed very good completely legitimate massages in both with no suggestion of any other services.
All in all would I stay again, yes definately for the price paid it was excellent value.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 9 May 2014

actually the room i had book is two single bed but i request to change to double bed and they willing to do so, their service is very good! the room was so clean and comfortable, the staff there are very politeness and friendly, i will like to stay there for next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed in the Royal Inn in Phnom Penh for a night before I flew back home. I really liked the place and I think it’s a great value for that money. I really enjoyed the big room and the great bathroom with a bathtub. Since I did south east asia with my backpack and stayed in the cheapest accomodations this place felt pretty luxurios.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel was Ok at best but the location is not the best.To get to the Waterfront and the main hub of the city requires hiring a Tuc Tuc as would not advise walking, especially at night.The breakfast is basic but the staff are extremely friendly and helpful.There are also some nice restaurants nearby but the area is slightly seedy.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo