“Good Khmer food - vegan style”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of K'NYAY - CLOSED

K'NYAY
Price range: US$0 - US$6
Cuisines: Cambodian, Asian, Healthy
Good for: Romantic, Cheap Eats, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: K'NYAY has recently relocated to The Terrace on 95 (October 2013).The Terrace is a traditional Khmer wooden house, converted into a small stylish and character filled guesthouse in Phnom Penh. Built in the 1930s, The Terrace elegantly combines elements of traditional Cambodian wooden homes and French colonial art deco styling.
Doha
“Good Khmer food - vegan style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

It's a treat to eat local food when you are a vegan - you can't always get it free of fish sauce, eggs.... This place has some great curries, fritters, spring rolls and my fave - vegan ice cream! We stayed at the hotel here so we tried most of the menu - our least favourites were the "western foods". Be warned though - don't come in a hurry - the food can take awhile. The atmosphere is really chilled and relaxing - lovely Buddha arts and colours. Great terrace at night for drinks as well.

• Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Coolamon, New South Wales, Australia
“Nice atmosphere, difficult to find, food was okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

On my first night in Phnom Penh, we decided to give this place a go. The first thing was that it was extremely difficult to find. It really doesn't have any signage, only a K on the entrance door. It is right next door to flicks cinemas and above the terrace on the corner. Inside it has a nice atmosphere, comfy seating, lots of fresh air and high ceilings and it is clean.

The thing that was a little disappointing to me was the food. It was just rather bland tasting, I guess because it is touted as being healthy, but I just think a little more flavour wouldn't go astray. My partner had the red curry and said it was pretty good and admittedly I had the quesidilla, but I have had some very tasty quesidilla's over the years, that use some bean paste or something to add more flavour. This one was super bland like you would expect to buy for a child to eat that is fussy and doesn't like flavour.

The staff were very friendly and efficient though, if only the food were a little better this place would be tops.

Visited November 2013
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Extremely slow service, mediocre food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was really disappointed when I recently visited K'nyay. I had heard great reviews and as a vegetarian it can sometimes be a bit of a struggle in Phnom Penh so I had high hopes. The restaurant has recently moved to The Terrace which is a lovely setting but when we visited we were the only ones there. The staff were pleasant and friendly but the food took such a long time to arrive. We ordered a bruscetta starter to share and two curries for mains (which came out while we were still eating the starter). The bread for the bruscetta was stale (as was the bread that came as a side dish to my husband's curry). I had a pumpkin and coconut curry which was ok but pretty bland and not spicy at all. It was supposed to come with wild rice but just came with (cold) regular steamed white rice. Maybe it was just teething problems moving to a new place so we will probably give it another try but not very impressed at all.

• Visited October 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Mixed thoughts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I've been to K'nyay on several occasions and have had both bad and good experiences... They really need to work on their consistency. Service: sometimes food took forever to arrive and sometimes it was out in seconds. Food: Sometimes really flavorful and sometimes rather bland. The rice is generally good but it has also tasted gritty... In theory I like the place when it's good, just wish that could be more often.

Visited September 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Vegan Raw Mango Salad”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I'm so glad I research out my restaurants! This place is owned by an Australian, and run by really wonderful Cambodian staff. It's light & airy w/beautiful canvas Cambodian art and wooden chairs & tables. It feels Cambodian bohemian :) The raw mango salad was delicious and they completely accommodated my vegetarian diet! I recommend this place for lunch!

• Visited September 2013