“awful service, booking.com customers beware!!”

Waterview Guest House
Waterview Guest House
Ranked #173 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to staying here after reading such great reviews from others. We booked the $18 a night room yesterday on booking.com, where it actually showed that there was one room left. We entered our credit card info, and received a confirmation. So, needless to say, after a very long bus ride to p.p. we were very upset to discover that the room we had booked actually wasn't available, but we could get the $28 a night room. The staff told us that the cheaper rooms had been all full since ten days ago. So why did booking.com say there was an available room?? I told them I wasn't paying $28 a night for a room, so they said ok, we have a room for you, but you have to pay first. They must think we are idiots.. I told them no, we would like to see it first. So, the man took us across the street to a smelly restaurant that leads up to rooms up above. The lady at this place (lyons hotel) showed us the room and told us $15 a night. At this point, we were so exhausted, we took it, despite the awful condition this hotel is in.
What's even worse is that after the lady showed us and we accepted, the man downstairs still tried duping us for $18, when we had just been told the real price!
So, all in all, I cannot judge this guesthouse on anything except service, but that is enough for me to never return, and enough for me to tell others to steer clear so you don't find yourself in the attic of a restaurant down the street.

Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank londnlish

Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

Location of the guesthouse was very good, facing the river. The room was clean, there was hot water, air conditioning, cable tv and wifi. The owner (a lady) was very accommodating, even assisted me in getting me a bus ticket to siem reap. Best part was, the pickup point for the bus was only 2 stops away.

Overall my experience and stay there was very good even though my room had no window.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 2 February 2013

On paper the Waterview Guesthouse seems the perfect choice to make for you temporary residence in Phnom Penh. However, err on the side of caution. The room my girlfriend and I rented was mouldy and plagued by small flies and other six legged insects. During our 4 months travelling, insects have become an acceptable part of the travel experience but when paying a higher rate I don't expect the room to come with a blizzard of flies. The clear win for the room was its view of the river.

However, your appreciation for the river view will be drowned out by thumping techno beats from the bar a few doors down.

Concerning the staff, the reception from them on the first day was cordial at best, becoming frostier as the days wore on despite numerous attempts to strike up friendly conversation (our host spoke good english). By the 3rd day I'd given up and simply ignored them as they did us as it became apparent that, to them, we were just a means to an end. My girlfriend was completely ignored as she gave thanks upon our departure, our host simply turned her back on her and struck up a conversation with her family member or friend.
Until now I've not resented paying money that's due to any of the guesthouses, lodges, hotels, resorts and beach houses that I've stayed at; but as I handed over my $109 to the Waterview Guesthouse I resented it with every fibre of my being.

Like Johny Rotten once stated to his audience: "Do you ever feel like you've been cheated?"

Room Tip: Not all rooms have windows, but this might help with the noise at night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheGordoAbides
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Stayed here for three nights. Had one of the smaller room without windows, but this did not help regarding noise from the streets and nightlubs in the area. Heard loud music from downstairs until late at night, so get some earplugs. Room was clean, but with mold coming through the paint in places, and there were cracks and gaps in the bathroom walls.

The staff was very helpful in regards to booking tours, laundry and setting up transport to the airport.

Would probably stay here again, as location and staff were excellent, but they could do with some paint.

Room Tip: Just bring earplugs
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Our room here was nice and roomy with a good air con. We had a gorgeous balcony and a "river view" but only if you lean awkwardly to the left. Like most places in South East Asia, the shower is very close to the loo but this place had pink toilet paper! If you are getting off the Mekong River you will not need a $2 tuk tuk ride - don't be fooled - it's only a 2 min walk down the road despite what the drivers say! We were happy staying here but not pleased with the staff. Friendly enough but difficult to understand and communicate with. Breakfast wasn't included but there is a $2.75 buffet breakfast place just down the road.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The location of this guesthouse can't be any better, right in front of the river and near to bars, restaurants and shops.

The staff is very friendly and the rooms are comfortable. The only problem is the poor WIFI in the rooms and the lack of breakfast but otherwise a great guesthouse. They also offer visa and ticket services which is very convenient. I left my big suitcase there for a week at no cost. Will stay here again

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank jfquintero
Reviewed 8 January 2012

It's hard to find a budget room with a window in this town but this place makes up for it with friendly family service. They will help with all kinds of info, book tours and busses like our hotel pick up to Kampot tomoz. Laundry service, wifi, waterfront, next to night markets, cafes, bars...I dare ya to find a fault.

• Stayed: January 2012