“Lackluster, smelly. You can do a lot better!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Jockey Hotel
Jockey Hotel
Ranked #238 of 332 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Thimphu District, Bhutan
“Lackluster, smelly. You can do a lot better!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

I work in Cambodia and often come to Phnom Penh. I like to try different hotels and I have to say this is the worst I've stayed in. I allowed myself to be taken by a tuk tuk driver. I knew he was doing this for the commission but that's not necessarily a bad thing in my experience and it means he gives me a cheap ride in the tuk tuk. In any case it was late at night and I just wanted a place for a night ( although I would have stayed for two if the rooms had been nicer). The night manager asked for payment up front (he initially asked for $25 including breakfast but I thought that seemed a bit steep and I said I wasn't interested in the breakfast so he came down to $22) and said he would bring me a receipt later(he never did).
The room smelled of cigarette smoke, the air con was noisy and the pillows I was supplied with were rock hard. I had a terrible night's sleep. There was a mini bar and 2 bottles of water on a bench. Just about every other hotel I've stayed in in Cambodia provides 2 complimentary bottles of drinking water every day. I drank a bottle thinking this hotel was the same. The next morning I checked out half expecting to be charged again for my room because I hadn't been given a receipt. Fortunately that didn't happen but the girl at the desk told me to wait while the minibar was checked and I was then told that I had to pay $1.50 for the small bottle of water that had been drunk (and which costs about 500 riel or 15 cents at any shop). I also now find that I appear to have been attacked by bed bugs. To be honest I can't be certain if the bedbugs were the fault of the Jockey hotel because I stayed in another (and much nicer) hotel the following night but I think the Jockey is the more likely culprit. I should mention that the area that this hotel in is nothing special. I couldn't wait to get out of the place and I shall never go back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Angelino53

England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

We had a large room with three double beds on a high floor and the reception staff were very helpful and took our bags to our room. This was nice as we were all tired after travelling from HCMC by boat.

The room had cream ceramic floor tiles and was quite clean. The bathroom had a reasonable supply of toiletries but was rather small. The water was hot and the air conditioning worked. There was a flat screen TV that gave access to all the standard channels. There was WiFi in the room and this was OK.

The hotel is on Street 63 and our room overlooked a main junction. In spite of this the room was quite at night and we had a good sleep. The room had good street views but there was a single window high up that had no curtains facing the inside hotel corridor.
This allowed light to get into the room at all times.

The breakfast was very poor. There was a set menu of fried eggs and staff refused to supply boiled eggs as there were no available eggs. However, after asking to speak to the Manager boiled eggs appeared!! It is likely that staff could not be bothered to do anything additional.

Overall, not a bad place to stay for a couple of nights. However, there are more friendly establishments available for similar money.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Shanghai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

I stayed here before and after trips to the beach and Siem Reap. Upon arrival, I was surprised at the expensive room rates, but it was late and I didn't have much choice but to stay. The room was little better than sub-standard, and the water pressure was next to nothing, especially when the thot tap was turned on. Throughout my stay it seemed all the staff was interested in was making money from me, by charging me extortionate rates for flight tickets, taxis, laundry, and anything else they could manage. On my last day, I checked out in the morning and left a bag in the hotel while I did some sightseeing. When I got back I wanted to have a shower/change of clothes before my flight and they tried to charge me $10 (and I could see they had several spare rooms). Bearing in mind I had put 100s of dollars their way for rooms/meals/and travel, I was very disappointed, especially when they told me they just couldn't be bothered to change the towels. There was no budging them though, and they sent me trudging down the road to a grotty guest house with all my bags where I showered and changed for only $1....

This understandable left a sour taste in my mouth on the way back to the airport after an amazing stay in Cambodia.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

We stayed in a twin double room on the top Floor. Two big windows. Bathroom was crappy but that didnt really phase us.

We payed $30 US for the room that had brand new flatscreen TV with cable. A/C private bathroom. Was the most expensive accom in my whole trip inside Cambodia. But was also the nicest room i stayed in.

Yes the beds were rockhard, But so are 90% of beds in Cambodia. Get used to it. I found the staff to be really friendly and helpful with what ever we needed. Had fast Wifi in my room which was great. Every thing was new in the room, would recommend to friends who want the midrange budget.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

Stayed here for two nights as part of a three week trip around cambodia and vietnam. Everything seemed fairly good to begin with, location was ok, the rooms were quite small but looked clean and well maintained. Then we tried the beds, which coud have been replaced with slabs of granite, for all the difference it would have made. The pillows similarly unpleasant. To top it off the shower produced a pathetic dribble of water that refused to run hot.
Overall, it was tolerable, but this was the most expensive hotel we booked for our trip and thus far was one of the worst. I'm certain there are better, cheaper, places to stay in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
siahnoukville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

I didn't want to stay here, but my taxi must have been on commission from them and I was tired. The room looked okay. . .

Woke up covered in bedbugs, staff refused to give me another room. I refused to pay. An ugly scene ensued with the police being called to ttry and extract money from me. Fortunately they gave the dragonlady on reception a dressing down and I went on my way.

Do not stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank SiahnoukvilleRippy
Lakewood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

I don't know about all of the comments below, I really think it's a great hotel. I booked 5 days on the hotel website and got discount for it. My stuff were very funny and room are pretty clean. The hotel looks like it got a huge upgrade because everything are pretty new. And best of all is the location, it's walking distance to the royal palace and many other place. I know really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo