“Good value, I would go back.”

and 1 more site!
Blue Dog Guesthouse
Ranked #34 of 339 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

Friendly and hulpful staff, excellent location, my room was basic but OK. Shared bathroom was clean + there were no extra charges for hot water.
The bar is very nice and a meeting place for both tourists and residents.
Bring earplugs.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed 3 January 2013

Found this Guesthouse by just driving around the city, first booked for one night, but stayed for six.. Owner and his wife are nice people, made me feel welcome. I've stayed in a double room and the dorm. For the low price the rooms are spacious, although they're not really luxury, they are clean (at least compared to what I've seen so far in Cambodia) and you have the choice for Rooms with AC. The owner just installed warm water in all of them and the WIfi signal is good. The Bar/restaurant downstairs is a great place to hangout and meet people, and although there are cheaper places on the street, it's always nice to have the option of a quick and good breakfast at hand. Recommended if you're looking for a cheap and easy stay in the middle of Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 December 2012

We arranged a pick-up by tuk-tuk (from the owner) but after an hour, he still wasn’t there. When we arrived, he was working at the bar and when I told him, he told me he forgot. But he really seemed to be sorry!
The room was very, very elementary. Two beds, a table and a bamboo rack. But it was OK for the price! The airco stopped working several times!
The bathroom I didn’t like at all. We are used to it that in Asia the shower is just inside the bathroom but here the water was splashing around everywhere. There is almost no hot water. And when I just started showering two times the electricity went down… coincidence?!
The bar had a very nice vibe. People are very nice and easy to get along. The food in the restaurant is cheap and very tasty!
If you just need a clean bed and are not to picky about comfort, it is OK!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed in a double room with a friend and had a very pleasant experience here. The room was very clean and had AC and WIFI. The location is great. I had the privelege of talking to the kind and genuine owners for quite awhile. They were more than happy to sit down and chat. This was one of the unexpected highlights of my trip. I learned much about their culture and their experiences during the Khmer Rouge era. I consider this rare and invaluable.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I asked for the $5 room advertised on the internet, but was told they were not available and I was given a room for $8. Found out later that I was in one of the $5 rooms.

Staff are very friendly and helpful, other than lying to me about the room cost.

My room was very dirty. The floor was ok, but the walls were filthy.
May have been nice at one time, but is desperately needing some clean-up and maintenance.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank fredf22
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Overall, not great. Location is awesome but the place doesn't look like the pictures anymore. Perhaps it's past it's best years. I stayed in a private room (no. 1) for US$10 which had stained sheets, smelled damp and I slept with ear plugs to block out the noise from the bar downstairs. Staff were very friendly. Wifi and computers weren't working while I was there and the private bathroom was a bit dirty. Security isn't great. The bar was fun!

Room Tip: Don't take room 1 if you want to sleep
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Blake R
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I had the privilege of staying at the Blue Dog for just over a week in the beginning of September. It is a great place to meet a lot of ex-pats and the guesthouse also has a bar downstairs which is ran by two down-to-earth Aussies named Justin and Sulli. I payed $7 a night for a single room which was very clean, and I also had hot showers (which I hadn't had for a while before that.)
Kok (the man who runs the Guesthouse) and his staff made me feel right at home, so much so that even after I made some friends and stayed at their place, I still went to the Blue Dog to spend my free time. Kok even organized a day for friends of the bar and people who were currently staying to go with him and others to a waterfall and river in the countryside. That day was honestly one of the highlights of my trip. We jammed to music and laughed the entire way there and had a blast drinking beers and eating food while swimming in the river. The beers are cheap, the food tastes great, the regulars are loads of fun, and the service is top-notch. Be sure to keep and eye out for their open-mic nights and their events that happen weekly. I highly recommend staying at the Blue Dog

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo