“mosquitoes, noisy, hote”

Ranked #38 of 326 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Santiago, Chile
“mosquitoes, noisy, hote”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

It is well located and the cheaper around the area (15USD w/ fan), BUT the room was infested with mosquitoes and smelled to DDT. There's a bar downstairs so it is very very noisy until 3 or 4 am (every day). We chose a room with fan and at night it was so hot, it was impossible to sleep....
I recommend to go a bit further and pay the same price for so much better value of hotels...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank delikafe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I really like this place, the manager is just lovely and really friendly. FOod was good too. Room was good and the bed was comfortable, eventhe pillows were soft which is something rare when backpacking in theese neck of the woods.

However, at the time we stayed there were a group of spolit little boys who sounded like the geeky one of the inbetweeners who thought it was ok to fight like a bunch of girls and kick doors in late at night, i got not sleep at all. But dont let suchfools but you off this little delight of blue dog

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Before I start I have no experience of staying in the guest house, my review is purely based on my experience of eating in the restaurant. I had walked round for a while looking for somewhere to eat and came across the blue dog, open front, nice space and reasonably quite. Went in sat and waited for some service and a menu turned up quite quickly... Good start.

Ordering food took a little longer and this is where it started to go down hill, the guy who served me who was a caucasian( maybe owner / business partner ) he was bear footed which is fine but his feet where filthy, it was offensive... I should have left at that stage but I was hungry and thought I would wait it out. After I ordered I waited for 10 mins, he came back and said sorry we don't have any bread our staff don't know where to buy !! Would I wait 10 mins.

I reminded him that a coffee was included and could I have that ? - 10 mins later the coffee turned up, luke warm and very bitter, around 30 mins later the food arrived and the bread which should have come with the food had turned into a bagel " I gave you a bagel to speed things up !!! " I was told. l like bagels but this was stale. I had no knife and fork no butter for my bagel and the eggs where dreadfully undercooked. The plate also had a blue ink stain on it which turned out to be ink from his hands almost like a pen had split in his hands, I gathered this was the case as he had blue ink stains on his face when he returned ( assume from wiping sweat from his face)

I said my eggs where under cooked I had no knife and fork and maybe I could have some butter ? This took another 10 mins to organise... Paying the bill was painful - he tried to over charge me ( bitter coffee is included in the breakfast price but he tried to charge me separately - " oh it's included is it . " he remarked ) then tell him how much change he needed to give me ....

I guess my review is more based on my interaction with this member of the blue dog team. Overall the atmosphere was depressing the music rather loud for breakfast. Phnom Penh has evolved as a city so much ( frequent visitor) and competition is high - standards have changed but this place is just stuck in the past. If you have any standards higher than those of a bare footed troglodyte then maybe you should just walk on by .. If not then, well enjoy

I have never used trip advisor before and it's a shame my first post is negative but I joined as I was so frustrated by my experience. I will certainly balance out this review with positive ones when I have positive travel experiences.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Spanishomelette79
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

Friendly and hulpful staff, excellent location, my room was basic but OK. Shared bathroom was clean + there were no extra charges for hot water.
The bar is very nice and a meeting place for both tourists and residents.
Bring earplugs.

• Stayed February 2013
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Found this Guesthouse by just driving around the city, first booked for one night, but stayed for six.. Owner and his wife are nice people, made me feel welcome. I've stayed in a double room and the dorm. For the low price the rooms are spacious, although they're not really luxury, they are clean (at least compared to what I've seen so far in Cambodia) and you have the choice for Rooms with AC. The owner just installed warm water in all of them and the WIfi signal is good. The Bar/restaurant downstairs is a great place to hangout and meet people, and although there are cheaper places on the street, it's always nice to have the option of a quick and good breakfast at hand. Recommended if you're looking for a cheap and easy stay in the middle of Phnom Penh.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Belgium
Reviewed 25 December 2012

We arranged a pick-up by tuk-tuk (from the owner) but after an hour, he still wasn’t there. When we arrived, he was working at the bar and when I told him, he told me he forgot. But he really seemed to be sorry!
The room was very, very elementary. Two beds, a table and a bamboo rack. But it was OK for the price! The airco stopped working several times!
The bathroom I didn’t like at all. We are used to it that in Asia the shower is just inside the bathroom but here the water was splashing around everywhere. There is almost no hot water. And when I just started showering two times the electricity went down… coincidence?!
The bar had a very nice vibe. People are very nice and easy to get along. The food in the restaurant is cheap and very tasty!
If you just need a clean bed and are not to picky about comfort, it is OK!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed in a double room with a friend and had a very pleasant experience here. The room was very clean and had AC and WIFI. The location is great. I had the privelege of talking to the kind and genuine owners for quite awhile. They were more than happy to sit down and chat. This was one of the unexpected highlights of my trip. I learned much about their culture and their experiences during the Khmer Rouge era. I consider this rare and invaluable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends