“A lot of potential but not yet there!” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Blue Dog Guesthouse
Ranked #45 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“A lot of potential but not yet there!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

this is the second time iv stayed here now. The last time was in november 2012. I liked the place alot the first time around and thats why i came back. Its in a really good location and the prices are very fair for what they offer. They have a nice bar down stairs which is full of people so a great place to meet people as i was by myself. Overall a nice place to stay but i would avoid staying there for at least a few months as they are doing some major building works and it wasnt great waking up at 6/7am every day to walls coming down!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank george a abraha... a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
St. Petersburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

The place was ok...the staff were really friendly and helpful. There is a pub downstairs, so get your room here if you'll be in there a lot or simply be prepared to hear the noise and inhale the cigarette smoke.

Ask each day to have the room refreshed. The internet was pretty reliable.

Room Tip: Perhaps going up further past the receptionist desk, and up the stairs, will help with the noise and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed at a five different places while I was in Phnom Penh. Some were more expensive, some were cheaper, and Blue Dog Guesthouse was by far the best of them all (I stayed 7 nights). The rooms are fine, the price is right, but its the STAFF that make this place the best. they were all consistently the friendliest, most engaging, and helpful guesthouse staff I've encountered anywhere. Both in the bar/restaurant downstairs and in the guesthouse upstairs, everyone was really lovely and accomodating at every point. I'm totally into this place.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 2 which had the added bonus of being a room with a padlock, so I felt totally comfo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

15$ for a room. The beds were so old you could see the springs coming out of them. The windows weren't even sealed so we got eaten alive by mossies all night. You could see the bar through the floors downstairs. They would stop and play the music so loud all night. We ate dinner there, was pretty good. Had breakfast the next morning, paid almost 3$ for 1 single bagel with cream cheese, and the WORST coffee I've ever tasted... It was thick and gritty. Overall not a good experience, and not worth the money at all.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

My brother and I are traveling through Southeast Asia, and when arriving to Phnom Penh, we took trip advisors 'advice' and chose blue dog to spend the only night we had in the city. Great choice. Perfect, clean, spacious and comfy room! Price for a dorm was 5usd each, or usd10 for a private. We choose the last option, and we were extremely happy with everything. The girl working there helped us with everything, she had a constant smile and perfect attention for what we needed! And if this wasn't enough, we went to the bar and the bartender was also really nice, gave us a free shot for the new year! And we chilled a lil' bit as the at atmosphere was perfect for it. DEFINITELY the place to stay in Phnom Penh!
Good work everybody!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank ddubin
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

I arrived here 2 weeks ago thanks to a friend who recommended me to stay in this place. Unfortunately, I lost all my belonging on the road, including my passport, my money, etc. 5 days after my arrival.. However, all the staff have been awesome with me.

Knowing I had money issue until I got a new passport, Rose, one of the manager, paid me lunches many times as well as other staff people and helped me a lot. I've even been invited to the maid's family at the countryside to celebrate the new Cambodian year. It was amazing!

I slept for free on a bed reserved to staff for few days and thanks to the bar downstairs (where I spent incredible time there), I met someone who offered me to stay at his place for free.. "Sharing is Caring" is what he said and that's definitively the motto of Cambodia soul.

Basically, I lost everything, but I get a family.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Really good find this. Surprised it's not higher up the rankings in Phnom Penh (was #50 at time of writing this)

I headed down to this part of town, initially hoping to stay at 'Top Banana' which is just around the corner. They didn't have any room, so suggested Mini Banana and here to us.

I really wouldn't waste your time with Mini Banana, it was a dump, this place is much better.

Paid $10 a night for a private room with double bed and fan. Room was clean and pretty quiet.

There is a really good bar downstairs with a free pool table and wifi. The owners and staff and really friendly and helpful.

The hostel is rough walking distances from the following:

Sisowath Quay: 15 mins