“Safe and central - thank you!”
Review of Alibi Guesthouse

Alibi Guesthouse
Ranked #7 of 334 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This is a fantastic hotel, my only complaint is I didn't stay longer. I was picked up from the airport and arrived at the hotel before check-in, no problem my room was ready. There was a bar fridge in the room, tv and lock box. The hotel is tucked away from the street so I found the room to be quiet. The staff are very friendly and helpful, I would stay here again. Breakfast is basic but good. Walking distance to the Royal Palace and lots of restaurants. It is run by a Frenchman, he is very helpful. Thank you for a great stay!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 March 2014

This is a really good place if you want to stay in Phnom Penh; very much accessible to all the attractions like the Silver Pagoda, Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda & Sisowath Quay. It is not located near the main thoroughfare, you still need to walk in a dodgy alley but it's not really a problem. I personally love the garden, it's clean & well-maintained, and sure a lovely place to have breakfast. I so love it! The place is so clean & I love the antique staircase. We stayed in the 3rd storey wherein you need to climb a steep steel staircase. They have CCTV cameras on all storey so you can rest assure of the order & safety in the guesthouse. We stayed at room 10, the bed is comfy, has desk & table, fridge, TV, wardrobe & safety deposit box. The bathroom is okay & complete toiletries are provided. Every storey has its own verandah & common area which is very nice--it will make you feel comfortable unlike other hotel wherein you can only see long corridors.

On our first day of stay, breakfast wasn't completely served because we need to leave early for Siem Reap. On the next day, we finally had a complete breakfast--it was awesome & the coffee is good! :) The 2 cleaning ladies were always smiling & the boy who opens the gate is nice though he can't really speak english well. The lady receptionist speaks good english, she is friendly but she needs to be warm to her guest. When we asked if we can have breakfast early because we need to leave really early for Ho Chi Minh, she responded in a not so nice way. It seems like it's our fault that we're leaving early that's why we can't have our breakfast. She need not to say that or better she could have said it in a nicer way. Later she offered to cook our breakfast in advanced & just get it before we leave in the morning. It was a good gesture though, but her initial response left a bad impression to me. Christian, the manager is nice.

Overall, I will still recommend this guesthouse!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed in Alibi guesthouse for only one night. The staff was polite. They organized our boat trip to siem reap. We had a standard double room which might be a little bit small for a longer stay, but was ok for us. The rooms are clean. The bathroom was very tiny (the toilet is wet after showering). Our room was located in the third floor and the last stairs are a little bit difficult to climb. Breakfast is good (especially the coffee). The location was very good - close to the silver pagoda and king palace.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Nice quite Guesthouse-a Good place to start if you have just arrived in phnom penh.
I arrrived very lat at nite
and thy were very acomodatinG.
A hidden gem-lots of fabulous plants-and well hidden from the ratrace.
recommend-altho you could find cheaper-this place is a cut above!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank kimholden
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Hi stayed here for a couple of nights. Initial cool reception from french manager but warmed to him later. Cambodian staff were charming and helpful. Stayed in 2 rooms, the first spacious with garish paint work and slightly tired but working fixtures. The second a much cheaper smaller room with a cold shower but clean and comfortable.
Apart from the staff the real selling point is the sheltered patio area for breakfast. Tuk tuk drivers may have trouble finding it as it's down a small alley.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank alanc878
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Up a lane way then behind these big gates is a oasis, was a lovely spot. Well priced, nothing fancy, very basic, lots of outside space to sit. The staff are lovely and helpful. The location was excellent, close to lots of things, good eating places around and heaps of Happy Hour bars. If you want a quiet hideaway, this is perfect.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JenBow0000
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I found the location of this guest house to be great for getting to all the attractions which interested me. The old villa is a beautiful house, the rooms are well set up, and breakfast is served in the garden, also a beautiful setting. The staff are helpful, pleasant and I can find no fault with their service. It is every bit as good as I had expected after reading the other reviews.
So, no hesitation in suggesting this place for a comfortable stay in Phnom Penh. Yes, the stairs are steep to the third floor where I was, but I knew that in advance, and there was help to carry my bag up the steep stairs. It is only the third floor with steep stairs - the lower two floors have a great wide wooden staircase of beauty and ease in climbing. Breakfast was good, and the coffee great - not always easy to get a coffee that is similar to that which I am accustomed to.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo