“Friendly place with awesome rooftop bar” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Top Banana Guesthouse

Top Banana Guesthouse
Brussels, Belgium
“Friendly place with awesome rooftop bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

The rooms are, on average, pretty basic. I got a fan, bathroom and no windows for $10/night. But what really makes this place special is the rooftop bar. It's a great place to relax, meet new people and make friends.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

This is a late review because I went to Cambodia months ago (March 2011), I believe. I stayed in this guesthouse upon the recommendation of a European man. So I did.

Place is truly great. However, the barmaid? (forgot her name), well, I guess she became very "busy" and forgot the thing I asked for.

In the morning, when I asked for a towel, she was the only person around. No other staff, no tourists roaming around. Just the two of us. Meaning, she was not busy. Still, she said she would do it after I came back from the trip. I asked if I could have a new towel "now", she insisted later. I came back, she just looked at me from her bar tending area. No towel given by her. During my entire stay, I didn't ask for any towel ever. I shall never, ever forget her face.

In any case, I will come back to Top Banana Guesthouse because I liked the place.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Phung-Capvan
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

Stayed here a few nights and really liked the room. Not the greatest location as far as proximity to the sites in the city centre go if you're keen on walking but a tuc tuc will only cost you a couple of dollars so not too big a deal. The staff here were all pretty cool and the rooftop restaurant and bar were really cool to hang out in. There was a party there in the bar the 3 nights we were there though and the room was directly below which was great if you were up for a drinking session but not great if you keen to have an early night in.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marcubus
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

So I was heading to Cambodia for my 8th time and had heard on the grapevine about Top Banana. I was a little reluctant to stay there as I had always stayed in the lakeside area, but I thought I'd give it a try. I am over the moon that I did! From the moment I arrived I started meeting cool people which isn't easy when you're a solo backpacker of an age that might put you in the "old enough to be my dad" bracket. After 3 weeks, I felt like I was leaving a family who had looked after me incredibly well. Now, if you are coming to PP for a quiet, reflective time spent contemplating your belly button and reading your Lonely Planet, this is not the place for you. It is most definitely THE place to meet other travellers (and long term ex-pats) and by far the most happening bar in the area, complete with Beer Pong most nights. The rooms are basic (don't forget you're backpacking!) but the atmosphere and staff more than make up for it. And I must respond to a previous review which stated that the girl who works there in the morning is rude - puh-lease. She (and all the staff) and super friendly... perhaps the negative review was on the back of a horribly long trip? I don't know, but for my money, I'll be going back to Top Banana on my next trip to Cambodia.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank DaveMarini
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

As a solo traveler I wanted to find a place that had a nice common area to meet other travelers, my only prerogative. Top Banana definitely has it. I have made so many friends here, even with the staff, that I am still here 2 months after I was supposed to go to Laos. The bar is even bigger now, with the noisiest of rooms cleared away to make space. The bar area is awesome, with comfy couches, and a nice live music/dj area. To the people who gave bad reviews, it is only because they did not want to party and meet new people. This place is awesome, and very fun, every night! I love it. If you want quiet time away from the party Mini Banana is definitely the place. LOVE IT.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Ericaangela
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

On the face of it, Top Banana is a good hostel: big, clean rooms at affordable prices in the middle of the city, with free internet and access to a swimming pool below. In the evenings, however, Top Banana becomes a great hostel and a great place to party in Phnom Penh: a cheap bar serving good food, full of hip young (and old) backpackers and locals with regular live music nights. We found it very difficult to leave after only two nights. Phnom Penh and Top Banana are unforgettable.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Hue
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

I have been travelling for the past 5 months all over SE Asia and stayed in may different hostels and hotels. Normally Trip Advisor doesn't steer me wrong but in this case it did. First of all Top Banana is a bar with some rooms. What I mean is that it doesn't have any of the facilities that a hostel or hotel would. For example there is no safety deposit boxes and there is also no night porter or security at night. The rooms are very exposed and any one could come off the street and break into a room without ever meeting any staff as most of the rooms are on the 1st floor but the bar is on the 2nd floor. The room that we stayed in was very hot also and with only a plastic fan to keep us cool, didn't. The rooms are quiet cheap though but we moved on after 2 nights. We also asked were there any rooms available in the other top banana with A/C and we were told that there were. We then went to the other Top Banana but there were no rooms available contrary to the info that we were given. We then went back to the 1st banana but we were still not informed that there would be no room in the other banana. The staff are also quite rude especially the girl that works in the morning. Mosquito's are also a massive issue here and the rooms are not protected properly with holes in the mosquito nets all around. All in all we did find Phnom Penh quite limited for cheap accommodation and eventually had to get a room in a neighbouring hotel for $20, but it was worth it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple