“Best guesthouse in Phnom Penh”

Top Banana Guesthouse
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Best guesthouse in Phnom Penh”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Top Banana has everything you could want in a guesthouse. Affordable, clean rooms; amazing and very helpful staff; good food; a brilliant rooftop bar for partying and meeting other travellers, locals and expats; and the perfect location. Even if they are fully booked and you can't stay there, you should go there for a drink.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

my first visit to top banana was on my first solo visit to south east asia and i have never been made to feel more welcome! by the end of my first night i was joining staff and other guests on a night out! and by my departure a week later i left having made friends for life. the atmosphere in top banana bar and restaurant is always fantastic with excellent drinks promotions and the food is delicious! the comfy been bags and sofas make it the perfect spot to chill out and meet other travellers, and the DVD area on the first floor has plenty of movies to choose from, perfect to chill out and recover from all the partying fun. Since my first visit I have returned to top banana several times and have been impressed by the expansion of the food menu, and renovations to the accommodation. Top Banana is now not only a great budget option for those looking for good value rooms to share with friends (either with or without A/C) but also has a good choice of mid range options with large comfortable ensuite rooms which are beautifully furnished. I have lived and travelled extensively through south east Asia and cannot express enough what a fantastic place Top banana is and the happy memories it has given me. The only problem is you will have so much fun you may be in danger of not leaving! Be sure to leave your mark like other travellers by writing a note on the walls, as Top Banana will leave its mark on you for ever. X

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank saraowen3
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is a super convenient place to stay that puts you in the middle of everything. Lots of great places to eat close by and short distances to get to riverside or tourist places. However, it was the worst two night's sleep I may have ever had. I didn't last the 5 days I had been planning on spending there.

I got attacked by some sort of bed bug in the night and the music was unnecessarily loud. I know hostels can get rowdy and loud, and the vibe at the bar is alright, but this took it to another extreme in excessiveness. On a block full of hotels and guesthouses you could hear the music 2 blocks away--kind of disrespectful to anyone trying to sleep, for both people at Top Banana and for what is probably a hundred other people staying nearby.

It is an easy place to mingle and meet people, and that counts for something and definitely cheap, but music blaring till 2am every night is a bit much, I don't think there's a room in the place you can actually get some sleep in. The insects in the night didn't help with that either.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Top B, General Manager at Top Banana Guesthouse, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
We are very sorry that your stay with us was not what you expected. We do take bed bugs seriously in our hostel and take all precautions to try and keep them out but unfortunately sometimes this is brought into the hostel. In the 13 years Top Banana has been open, we have had issues with bed bugs just three times and all in the last 2 years. Each time we have spent a great deal of money using professional services to clean and de-bug the rooms. Please could you email us (topbanana.guesthouse@gmail.com) and let us know which room you stayed in so that we can check the room, we have had no other complaints recently and had a check of the rooms with no sign of bed bugs or other insects, so unsure which room it could be.

The bar can get quite lively but we close at 1am every night so if music was keeping you up until 2am, it wasn't us. We do enjoy a good party and so do most of our guests. but we understand this is not for everyone and we apologise for disrupting your sleep, come for a drink next time you're in Phnom Penh and we'll be happy to recommend great places in the area that might suit you better, until then enjoy the rest of your travels and be safe on the road, thanks again for your review, take care x
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Room price was reasonable and the room was pretty nice, spacious, and comfortable, with A/C optional for more money, and hot showers. Would encourage them to offer at least a towel to guests - only guesthouse I stayed in Cambodia that didn't offer one.

Fantastic location right in BKK1, super close to a lot of great restaurants and bars. A quick ride to the riverside or Russian Market as well. Step out of your room onto the street and there's tons of great food and drink within walking distance.

Staff was young, cool, and helpful. Great place to base my travels from as they had solid info on buses and motorcycle rental. Knowledgeable and friendly drivers seemed to congregate outside the guesthouse, definitely had better luck with them than other tuk-tuk drivers elsewhere in the city.

Beer was cheap and cold, food was good as well. Lots of Western selections for the homesick traveler.

Only caveat is that the Top Banana is a really, really popular night spot for the backpacker crowd, and rocks all night with people and music. It was fantastic for meeting and mingling, but my room was right below the bar, and the one night I hit the sack early it was pretty hard to sleep with all the noise. So if you're looking for a quiet spot to base your adventures, probably not the best option.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I'm living in Phnom Penh for a couple months. My house was under construction so I needed to stay somewhere, I chose top banana. I came here a couple of times before for a beer.
The dorms are nice and cool with the ac.

The staff is great! Very relaxed and open to all kinds of conversations.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 1 December 2013

A good location for hitting the bars and restaurants. The staff was helpful but seemed a bit distracted. The food in the bar/restaurant was really good, try the bagels for breakfast! The room was fine, but noisy at night, as it was not possible to close the top windows.
A classic backpacker hostel with lots of opportunities to meet other travelers.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Top Banana is the place if you want to meet friendly new faces. The bar has an easy-going friendly atmosphere. You can sit at the bar directly or on some of the comfy sofas and beanie bags. They have a wide range of drinks that can easily satisfy any thirst.

Although you sometimes have to wait a bit to get a drink because it gets really busy, you can be sure that you'll be serve with a smile. The staff is easy to talk to and welcome feedback. If there's any sort of problem, you know and feel that they try their best to solve it. One of the ups of Top Banana is the different nights they organize this is especially true if you’re going to stay there for a little while. They have Live Music nights, to poker nights, beer pong night and one of my favorites: the movie night. Essentially the people at Top Banana want you to be happy and have a good time there; not because it is their jobs to do so but because they genuinely care.
I recommend Pheakdey’s cocktails for those who likes sweet and fruity drinks, otherwise their beer is always ice cold. (No kidding, I saw a tiny piece of beer freeze in my glass once because the glasses were so cold). When it comes to the food it is always of good quality and never takes too long.

I would recommend it regardless of whether you are travelling alone or with friends. If you stay there you are almost guaranteed to have a great time.

PS: They have some of the cleanest female bathrooms that I have ever seen at a bar and in general! Cleanliness is always a plus!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Top B, General Manager at Top Banana Guesthouse, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you so much for your review Romane, you have no idea how much we appreciate it. You're part of the family, we all love having you around and we feel very lucky to have someone like you in our lives.
See you later at bar, lots of love from everyone xoxox