“Clean, Social, a Little Loud”

Top Banana Guesthouse
Reviewed 10 March 2014

For the average backpacker, the Top Banana is probably great. It has a nice rooftop bar/lounge area where it's easy to meet fellow travellers. The food is good, especially the breakfasts, and the rooms are neat and tidy. I had a huge room for $18/night with two double beds, ensuite bathroom with hot water, plenty of furniture and windows. I was moved later to another room with had a big L-shaped couch and a tinier room for $16/night with ensuite but no couch. All came scrubbed down with clean sheets, good pressure showers and well-maintained bathrooms. What else does a traveler need?? The location is OK too -- walkable to the Genocide Museum and a short tuk-tuk ride to the Palace.

But as someone who's a bit past the backpacking scene, I found the place really loud, sometimes until 2 am. It's impossible to find a room that doesn't soak in the noise so you either have to get with the party or forget about a solid sleep. I'm rating this property four stars because it's probably perfect for a social backpacker, even though it was a three star place for me. The staff seemed harried too and seemed really worried about us paying our food bill as soon as possible. Maybe they've been stiffed before, who knows.

Also, forget about booking the "tour" offered through the hostel. It's just hire of a tuk-tuk driver for the day and I'm pretty sure you could find cheaper rates if you negotiate on the street. Same went with transport -- we found cheaper buses at a travel agency downstairs.

Room Tip: The tiny room for $16/night at the far end of the floor with the bar is farther from the noise. Don...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Top Banana Guesthouse

Reviewed 21 February 2014

First impressions were good, nice bar, good location and lovely rooms. We ate in the bar that night and the next day we were very ill. It was within our first two weeks in SE Asia so I'm not saying it was down to this food. The food was actually quite nice either way.
The problem came when we were room bound for a few days and they started VERY loud rennovations of the bar directly above us. Full on building work, hammering, drilling and smashing about was going on for the duration of our stay which was extremely poor timing as we were ill inside the room all day. We were extremely disappointed as the guesthouse did not prewarn us of any such activities!
They did try to find us a room further away from the noise and said that they'd help us find somewhere else to stay if we needed to checkout. They also popped in and checked on us and brought us some supplies so they were very nice about the whole thing. They also gave a us one of the three of our nights for free without us asking.
I doubt these kind of rennovations happen often so imagine our experience was a one off.
I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try not to use the rooms below the bar as they had missing slats from the windows, not great for kee...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

If you like partying or having fun, this is the place to be! But if you want to sleep peacefully or even take a nap, just choose another guesthouse. During the day, the street is quit noisy and during the night, the music of the bar is really loud until 1am and then people stay until 2 am in front of the bar to chat or laugh so you can't really sleep properly.
Having said that rooms and bathroom are clean and the staff is nice.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Strange unhelpful staff but bar that the hotel was good. Clean rooms, good shower, a little noisy but great for $10 a night.

Short walk from the river and good sites. Some good bars near and handy rooftop bar.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Top banana is a true life saver , Los & Helen are the best hosts, friends, guides, support you could hope for . They really do go the extra mile and a half to ensure you have an amazing time in Cambodia . Thanks for all your help and support, you restored my faith in human kindness. Xx

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Came here because of a friend had recommended. Had very high expectations and they were met. I was able to relax during the day and sleep well at night if I chose to. But I was also able to hang out and meet other travelers in the rooftop bar if I wanted to. The rooftop bar was awesome. Seriously one of the best vibes I've encoutered in a bar in Southeast Asia for sure. I am from New Orleans so I have a very high expectations for atmosphere at drinking establishments, and thi didn't let me down one bit. Would definitely rteturn for sure. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The best hostel in Asia - great staff, clean rooms and the roof top bar is amazing! The food is brilliant as well. As a solo traveller it was very easy to find new friends here. Really recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo