“a really good place”

Ranked #2 of 322 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“a really good place”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

a truly fabulous home for delivery on site, but also more general information available for the rest of the stay. Very friendly staff, welcoming. A very well located in Phnom Penh guesthouse and rooms very clean and nice.
A very good place for backpackers facing a few days in Phnom Penh, or make trips to other parts of the country.
Agat & Syl20

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sylvain D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Oakland, California
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We booked a room for two nights at the Europe Guesthouse. I will say, the staff is very friendly and super helpful. They are very nice but the room is another story.

The room we booked was a windowless room with AC (the ones with windows were booked). The room looked clean except for a very strong mold smell. The sheets were dingy looking and so thin that I could see the pattern of the pillow and mattress through them which doesn't feel very clean. Finally when we woke up, all of our stuff was covered in little ants and we didn't have any food in the room. Maybe the rooms with windows smell better but the sheets and ants I'm sure are the same through out the guest house. I can't imagine what a fan only windowless room smells like.

I feel the room is over priced at $18. I wouldn't stay here again, I'm sure there are better options at this price range. Again, I would like to say that the owner and staff are very helpful.

Room Tip: The windowless rooms smell like mold.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
singapore
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed 3 nights in Phnom Penh with 2 kids aged 4 and 6. The location was within walking distance to the night market and the riverfront.

We had a enjoyable stay as the owner Mr seng and his staff were very helpful in advising on places to visit and places to eat. It was like coming home rather than a hotel because they was so personal and friendly.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank low b
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

The staff at Europe Guest House are the most helpful and accommodating we met. They went out of their way to help us arrange for transportation (which we had to switch multiple times), even at the last minute.

The room was clean and quiet, and the hotel is in a perfect location.

Great great great!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Great guest house, owner is extremely hospitable and arranged our airport transportation for us. Room was very clean, bunk beds seemed new.

Location is easy to find, on a main road by the landmarks of the river and central market.

Our room was by the bathroom. We weren't bothered by the noise but the light (on and off throughout the night) was a bit annoying. Could easily be solved with heavier window coverings.

Overall great stay. Recommended.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 30 January 2014

It might be a good guesthouse, yes. I don't know because I didn't actually stay there. I'm far from being a princess traveler, but the guy at the reception almost made me lose my temper for the first time after 6 months in SEA. Just rude.

I had to leave my other hostel because it was overbooked so I showed up at Europe at 10 am and asked for a room. "Yes", he told me, "come back at 12:00". I asked him if he needed my passport or anything else (he said no) and reminded him to reserve the room for me. He agreed. When I came back at 12 he told me somebody else confirmed a booking and he gave the room to him. He could give me another room, almost double the price. I reminded him of our conversation but he kept on saying something like "Only talking. Talking is free." I argued with him for a while but he didn't seem to remember anything. Absolutely oblivious. Finally he said: "I have better things to do. I don't want to talk to you anymore." So I left ...

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
sengl8, Responsable réception at Europe Guest House, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
I'd like to reply to Mr Fhsch, who walked in, around 10am to ask whether there was a room available.
What I told him is that we had a room for $10 (one with a fan, 2 bunk beds and a shared bathroom) whose booking is pending confirmation. Therefore I would be able to tell him by 12 noon only whether it was available or not. I also offered him a more expensive room, one with a private terrace.
Mr Fhsch did suggest leaving his passport, which I declined, as I couldn't guarantee the room would be available.
When Mr Fhsch came back to inquire about the room, I told him that the booking for the room had been confirmed in between. I felt sorry he hadn't been able to find a room somewhere else. I couldn't decently turn away the customer who had confirmed his booking on time and was expecting to find a room on arrival after a long trip.
Mr Fhsch argued he had come first, and should therefore be given the room. We had to disagree, although it might have been easier for us to give Mr Fhsch satisfaction just so he would stop complaining.
As a professional and fair guesthouse, we would not let down a customer who had confirmed his booking.
Now that we have explained what really had happened, we would like to take this opportunity to guarantee our customers that we always strive to offer them the best service, and that our hotel is seldom overbooked (even if it costs us a bad review on tripadvisor).
Once again, I feel sorry for Mr Fhsch, but there was no way I could let him have the room in question.
I can only advise all travellers to book early to avoid such inconvenience.
Thank you for taking the time to read this message and we wish you a HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR !

Seng and Lin
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is a comfortable and clean guest house in the heart of phnom Penh, walking distance from the river front, the palace, museum, wat phnom and the market, with a variety of dining options nearby. The guest house is a great place to stay with a friendly staff.

Room Tip: Most rooms don't have windows, but window rooms are prone to more noise from outside.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends